logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jean p  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 10:52:13 AM(UTC)
jean p

Hi folks. I have been using ViaCAD and ViaCAD Pro with great success since version 4. I just upgraded to ViaCAD Pro 7 on Saturday, and immediately am finding some disturbing failures.

My purpose with the application is frequently to import and repair CAD files from other sources, then export them for rendering. I have this down to a very reliable procedure in ViaCAD Pro 6.

The default mesh settings are not suitable for rendering, so I do an initial export to STL to access the higher level mesh settings. I always specify a higher normal deviation (say 15-30) so that my very small rounds aren't meshed up excessively, then I specify a max edge length so that larger curves are meshed at a sufficiently fine resolution. I've been doing this systematically for quite some time, it works great in 6.

In 7, the edge length I set refuses to kick in. I can change the normal deviation, but attempts to change the edge length or aspect ratio are not reflected in the mesh preview. This is a show stopper.

I tested these same mesh settings on a cube with rounds: so, an extremely simple test case. On this simple test, changes to these values do apply. So perhaps it is the complexity of my completed model that is the issue, I don't know. Might be something else in the completed model that isn't present in a simple test case.

To get around the problem, I exported the model back to ViaCAD version 6, where the meshing worked as expected.

There are some nice aspects to ViaCAD version 7 that I would like to be using, but this makes the application totally unusable. Has anyone else seen this, or is there ay information available, or tips for forcing the tessellation settings to kick in?

TIA