logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dharawahl Locoworks  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 31, 2010 6:48:00 AM(UTC)
Dharawahl Locoworks

Gday Everyone,

I'm just getting started with this thing called CAD and I'm not finding it easy. I keep running into terms that those with the correct training would understand and the sheer mass of features in the software. I expect that I will be asking a LOT of very basic questions about ViaCad 2D/3D that will seem absolutely elementary to all of you. The only boundless feature seems to be my ignorance.

My ultimate goal will be to 'build' a steam locomotive in the computer. I have set of plans but these are known to have a number of errors which would prevent a working model being built. They also have been done using a weird mixture of metric and non-standard imperial measurements. I propose to 'build' my loco using ViaCAD, at the same time metricate the measurements and correct the errors.

Right now I am trying to draw one of the simplest elements. This a circular plate 135mm in diameter with a 15mm flange bent over a 3mm radius, similar to a shallow pipe cap. This plate is penetrated by a holes in range of diameters placed according to a strict set of rules which define the spacing between centres of the holes. I can draw the basic circle, extrude it 15mm and 'shell' it with the 3mm thick walls required. I can even set it up with the 3mm radius internal curves. What I am having problems with is understanding how to precisely place the circles that will define the holes. The figures I enter in the Data Entry window do not seem to relate what actually appears on the screen.
eg I have drawn a 12.8mm circle that I want to centre about the point defined by x=19.5 y=-6.5 z=0. These are the numbers that are shown in the Object Attributes window but the Data Entry window shows the coordinates as being x=-18.5 y=-49.0 x=-12.0 Diameter=12.8. Why??!

If I enter 19.5,-6.5,0, 12.8 into the Data Entry window I get a circle the correct size at 57.5, 36.0, 12 (ABOVE the plane!). If this behaviour is documented I couldn't find it.

The work around I have developed is okay but it takes a great deal of extra time and seems inefficient. What's going on?
zumer  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 31, 2010 8:08:48 AM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
From the behaviour that's confusing you, I'd say you're drawing that circle on the plane of the underside of your cap. You're not on the global workplane any more.....and I'm having to work really hard not to allude to the Wizard of Oz. .
jdi000  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 31, 2010 7:30:36 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi

I would try turning on the view plane on to help see what plane is active. workplane --> show plane, also you can use the workplane --> show dimming so only curves on the current workplane are visible.

You can also create custom workplanes and save them

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Dharawahl Locoworks  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 1, 2010 4:47:35 AM(UTC)
Dharawahl Locoworks

Originally Posted by: zumer Go to Quoted Post
You're not on the global workplane any more.....and I'm having to work really hard not to allude to the Wizard of Oz. .

Considering we're both IN Oz (never been to Kansas either) ...

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post

I would try turning on the view plane on to help see what plane is active. workplane --> show plane, also you can use the workplane --> show dimming so only curves on the current workplane are visible.

You can also create custom workplanes and save them

Thanks for answering the question was going to ask zumer, Jason. What's the difference between a work plane and a layer? If any, what are the pros and cons of each type?

I am really struggling with this. I don't even know enough to be able to ask sensible questions. Is there a series of tutorials which will show total newbie how to create a fully dimensioned item with a good mixture of curves, parts, intersects, etc.

Heck! I don't even know the right words to use. I have no training in this area.

What sort of books should I be reading to get up to speed here? Is there a ViaCad for Dummies available (the local library only had AutoCad 2000 for Dummies)
jdi000  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 1, 2010 6:42:59 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dharawahl Locoworks Go to Quoted Post
Considering we're both IN Oz (never been to Kansas either) ...

Thanks for answering the question was going to ask zumer, Jason. What's the difference between a work plane and a layer? If any, what are the pros and cons of each type?

I am really struggling with this. I don't even know enough to be able to ask sensible questions. Is there a series of tutorials which will show total newbie how to create a fully dimensioned item with a good mixture of curves, parts, intersects, etc.

Heck! I don't even know the right words to use. I have no training in this area.

What sort of books should I be reading to get up to speed here? Is there a ViaCad for Dummies available (the local library only had AutoCad 2000 for Dummies)

Hi, Have you looked at the videos that come with ViaCAD?

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
zumer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 1, 2010 9:05:49 AM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The engineering hobby magazines I read as a kid in the 1970s had projects with accompanying 2D drawings. I used to try to read the 2D drawings, then sketch the tools and parts in isometric and perspective views to try and understand the shape of them. I got an idea of what the sheet layouts were trying to convey, and the sketches I did taught me to consider what primitive shapes had to be added in what relationship to build a 3D shape. I reckon that's not a bad way to approach DIY education for CAD. Try and model what a paper drawing represents, then try to replicate the sheet drawing layout from your model. Chances of a book for ViaCAD aren't good unless Punch publishes it. When I studied CAD formally, most of the textbooks cost more than ViaCAD does....

murray
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2010 3:10:36 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>> What's the difference between a work plane and a layer?

A work plane defines a construction coordinate system. For example if you create a one point circle, the plane of the circle is taken from the default work plane. The normal of the work plane is the normal of the circle.

A layer is a tag associated with an object. You can turn on/off layers which turn on/off portions of your geometry.

Image a 2D drawing of an airplane. The designer may want the outer control lines, avionics, and hydraulics all in separate layers to quickly turn on and off the display of these features.

>>Is there a series of tutorials which will show total newbie

For ViaCAD 2D/3D, you will find under the help menu a collection of 17 tutorials covering the basics.

>>What should I be reading to get up to speed here?

Augment the tutorials with below.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/tutorials/TipsTricks.pdf

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Dharawahl Locoworks  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:12:35 PM(UTC)
Dharawahl Locoworks

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I found the Tutorials under the Help menu and have been working through them - much good information there!

Tim - I've downloaded the supplementary material as well.

Having made a fool of myself, I'll go quiet for a while.

I've got some study to do...