logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
integr8d  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2012 9:27:02 PM(UTC)
integr8d

Hey guys. Hope all's well. I'm stoked about getting into VCP. So far, it's been decent. A few hiccups here and there. But it does what I 'think' I need it to do. Either way, this has been a good move. I looked at and trialed a lot of the alternatives and for the dosh, VCP is worth it. Shark may be in the future. But for now, it's basic shapes only.

Some questions...

I work in the film industry by trade. I have no experience in engineering or design. I don't have any proper schooling on either of the subjects.

Blasting through the manual, which seems to be an amalgamate of VCP and Shark (sometimes frustrating) there are three areas for drafting; 2D curves, surfaces and solids. I've used 2D curves and solids extensively. With surfaces, I've only set up planes for slicing solids. Is there any theory or workflow regarding this? Unless surfaces have been extruded into a solid, where do they fit into the world of drafting or object creation?

Inevitably, most assemblies require joining together of some fashion. Is there a repository of parts (bolts, nuts, washers; all standardized) that's available?

With the parts that I've experimented in creating, is there a chance of relevant data not being exported, when I go to the machinist? IOW, will he see the part and then say, "Sorry. I can't use this b/c certain dependencies were lost."? What trouble areas should I be on the lookout for?

Regards,

Michael
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2012 4:04:12 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Interg8d. :)

One really useful tip is the C key. Hover your mouse over the plane you need to sketch on, then press C which sets the correct direction of whatever you're sketching. Took me yolks to initially figure that one out...

VC can be frustrating to use, but for the money, it's a bargain.
blowlamp  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2012 4:31:31 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

An additional (undocumented) feature of the 'C' key can also be found when used with the Gripper in its User Positioned mode.

Simply move/rotate the Gripper into the required position in 3d space and then hover the mouse pointer at the Gripper origin. When the 'C' key is pressed, new work planes are cycled through that match the Gripper's orientation and this can be repeated as often as is required, anywhere on the drawing.

It's a great way to construct bits to add to your model that may be at some awkward angle or location.

Martin.
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2012 1:13:49 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Martin, I can't get the gripper to do anything when several objects are grouped together. Is there a way around this?

Tom
blowlamp  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2012 1:22:28 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Tom.

Seems to be working OK with a group of primitive solids here.

Are you in User Positioned mode and have perhaps not selected the group (this has caught me out once or twice because the Gripper remains on screen in this mode with no objects selected)?

Martin.
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:14:22 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Hi Martin,

I got around it somehow, don't know how but...

It may have something to do with the fact that layers were locked hidden in other layers..

Crikey, this software is a monster, choc full of little caves and crevices! It's been a while since I last used it.