logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Filip  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:51:46 PM(UTC)
Filip

Could someone show me how to use Replace Solid from Concept Explorer

I understand it works only for Feature like Shell, Boss etc.

Thanks
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 9, 2013 7:39:50 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Yes, me, too!

Just yesterday, I revisited the "replace solid"/"replace curve" feature in the Feature tab.

But, I was unable to fully achieve what I set out to do which was replace one shaft (solid) with another. I probably misread the on-screen prompts, but it would be kewl to figure it out.

Also, I need to correctly (need to try, to be correct) substitute in a spline-dependent skin surface a new curve. Instead of tweaking an existing curve or dealing with one of those frustratingly non-editable splines (that cannot be manipulated with the Gripper, nor points-edited in Inspector), I could sub in a curve tweaked to my satisfaction from another drawing file. This would be really useful since that skin is really a sideshell of my ship, and some features such as decks, stiffeners, stringers, and transverses terminate at the inside of the skin, having been swept there via the "to object" option.

It may be already possible, and reading the threads today jarred my memory to recall what I forgot to test this morning.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:46:19 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
It may be basic, or to some considered a no-brainer-must-have. After all these years of using VCP and Shark, I had not stopped to inspect/explore the "Replace Curve" tool and feature. It is exactly what I am after for this current phase of modeling I'm doing.

What I have learned (think I have learned) is that in succession, each to-be-added curve follows the auto-select of the most-recently-added curve, until there are no more to be user-added.

SO, if between two surface-shaping curves you added 4 more, to redefine the surface's shape, you select the first curve, then go into the Feature Tree of the Concept Explorer. Right-click on the entity, then select "Add Curve". When prompted, select the curve, and do not click on the "Add As First" option. (If you skip around, expect the shape to fold back on itself. Not bad, if you're creating special surfaces or shapes.)

After you've added the new curve, Shark reforms the surface. After that, the Gripper still stays attached to the originally-selected curve (I guess to cue the user that the curve defines one of the edges, and the user selected it in order to access the "Add Curve" feature), if the user's eyes are quick, it can be seen that the recently-added curve is highlighted as well. In this case, it is good to have in advance turned on the control points so the line selections are more obvious when many colors are in play.

Do the same in succession until there are no more curves.

Next, I'll explore what happens when a solid is created from the surface, and other surfaces are projected as solids out to the original surface. (Hull sideshell, thickened, then "decks" projected out to the hull's inner suface. IN one experiment, days ago, I did not use the "Add Curve" feature and instead used the Gripper. It took, due to my model's size (~20-40 MB, depending on how much model is displayed at a save point, on disk, but around 700MB in RAM) maybe 20-30 minutes to fail. This time, I'll try curve replacement and curve addition.
Filip  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 2:40:49 PM(UTC)
Filip

Thank you for your interest in this topic. But it looks that only we are interested.
I am just curious if someone ever have used this feature - Replace Solids. :confused: