logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bmeissner  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2007 4:24:18 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

I know this feature has already been suggested elsewhere, but may get lost because of a completely different context...

Coming from FormZ, I'm almost completely lost when it comes to selecting single or multiple objects/parts within complex files. I'm desperately missing an Objects palette, where all objects are listed and can be selected individually. And if you want to make it perfect, allow grouping within this palette, means practically: create nulls or organizational objects, to which geometry/parts can be linked. This way CU (or VC) would be able to handle assemblies in the way they were created, as hierarchical groups.

This is - for me - one of the *most* important features I'd like to see in CU/VC. Directly followed by the ability, to import and export hierarchical structures in exactly this way from/to formats that support this feature.

Bernd
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2007 1:59:01 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Bernd,

Currently Concepts Explorer displays only the selected item in the feature tree. I've had a few folks ask for an option to display all visible objects with filters to control what gets displayed. Is this along the lines you are thinking?
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tem  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2007 5:40:12 PM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I agree there is an opportunity to improve the Concepts explorer. Being able to filter what is displayed would be a great enhancement, as I often don't need to look at everything, just what is relative to what I am focused on creating. Take an example from Apple's recently released iPhone. Its keyboard is available only when it is relative to the context, one doesn't need a keyboard to dial a number, but the traditional dial pad buttons work well at this for this when it is needed then it goes away.
bmeissner  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2007 4:41:24 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

Tim Olson wrote:
Currently Concepts Explorer displays only the selected item in the feature tree. I've had a few folks ask for an option to display all visible objects with filters to control what gets displayed. Is this along the lines you are thinking?

Tim,

I could imagine just adding one more tab to the existing Explorer would do it, which would look like:

Features - Objects - Layers - Symbols

The new 'Objects' tab should contain a list (similar to the current layer list), which shows each object in the file. Similar to the layer options, you could add the option to show/hide and lock/unlock objects, and also link objects hierarchically to other objects (like you do with sublayers) or organizational null objects (parent objects).

This feature can be found e.g. in FormZ, IronCad (see screenshots below) and many other applications. When importing CAD files e.g. from Pro/E, this kind of hierarchical structure is already present in assemblies, each consisting of subassemblies etc. Handling files in this way would definitely simplify many things, and the 'layer' way of doing it is so... AutoCad-like ;-)
The disadvantage of the layer method is simply: I don't see what it contains, until I isolate the layer. If I had a list of objects, linked to parents, I can easily identify/select/hide/show anything that's in my file. And since most assemblies contain structural information (names, groups), it would be more than useful to display this information accordingly.

One more advantage: this kind of grouping is supported by STEP, Pro/E (*.asm*), VRML, FACT, 3DS and other formats and could be transferred between applications. AFAIK the next ACIS version will also support this.

Bernd
bmeissner attached the following image(s):
FormZ.jpg (194kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
IronCad.jpg (76kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.