logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bmeissner  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2007 11:47:11 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

Hello Tim et al.,

this might be helpful in order to get some structured files out of VC (or CU):

Both FACT and VRML formats support grouping of objects, like a structured assembly in a CAD application. Would it be possible to export VC layers as groups? This way I could put objects that belong together on a layer, name this accordingly and get a nice hierarchical order of objects, sorted in layers and sublayers :-)

If there is already a feature to get named groups out of VC/CU, sorry, I'm a newbie and didn't find it yet ;-)

Bernd

Edit: The suggestion is valid for STEP as well, of course :-)
bmeissner  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2007 3:01:47 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

Hello Scott,

thanks for considering. Yes, FACT definitely does support nested groups. Currently I can export nested groups from (the old) EI Modeler, FormZ and PolyTrans... so there *is* a way to get this working :-)

Bernd
Arketype  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2007 10:43:18 AM(UTC)
Arketype

bmeissner wrote:
Hello Scott,

thanks for considering. Yes, FACT definitely does support nested groups. Currently I can export nested groups from (the old) EI Modeler, FormZ and PolyTrans... so there *is* a way to get this working :-)

Bernd

In fact (no pun intended!) formZ can form FACT groups by almost any criteria-
Object, Layer, Color, etc.

And it can even export hierarchical structures of "groups" of objects.

These are all very useful for an efficient export.

I would love to see these added to Concepts!
Juanxer  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 26, 2007 5:17:51 AM(UTC)
Juanxer

I was doing some testing about grouping objects for export (meeting a possible bug in the process). See here: http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=292

Ideally there ought to be two ways of producing merged sets of objects for FACT and other formats that support parenting: true merged sets of objects (the receiving apps understand them as a single object), and encasing Nulls-parented hierarchical sets of separate objects. ViaCAD grouping system lends itself to producing the second type.

For the true merge type, one can Boolean-add the relevant objects into one (although it must be done one by one instead of several at once, which is cumbersome even if I understand ViaCAD probably can't boolean-add more than two at once). Perhaps it would be interesting to have Join and Separate tools that explicitly merge objects for export, able to do several ones at once (as they won't need to calculate any boolean operation at all).

Merging and Grouping per colour, layer or group would still be a very interesting addition to general export options.
bmeissner  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 26, 2007 5:27:35 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

Juanxer wrote:
Perhaps it would be interesting to have Join and Separate tools that explicitly merge objects for export, able to do several ones at once (as they won't need to calculate any boolean operation at all).

One knows a FormZ user when reading him ;-)

Juanxer wrote:
Merging and Grouping per colour, layer or group would still be a very interesting addition to general export options.

SIC! I guess "null object" is the key, which I missed to list in my posting :-)

Bernd
Juanxer  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 26, 2007 1:40:06 PM(UTC)
Juanxer

Guilty as charged :D (even if EIModeler had those, too. We EIAS guys must look like a nightmare to Mr. Olson and crew, always pretending to impose our evil EI ways :)).
joev  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 27, 2007 9:48:36 PM(UTC)
joev

Yes, layers as groups or as Joined (ala FormZ) would be great. I'm working on a project where I'm getting CAD files of circuit boards and it would be great if I could group the items that are going to receive the same texture/shader. BTW, Concepts really excelled on reading the huge SAT files, adding bevels, stiching surfaces, recreating geometry and exporting to FAC.
Tim Olson  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 29, 2007 9:11:22 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>this might be helpful in order to get some structured files out of VC (or CU):

Currently the best way may be to use DXF R12. It retains layers and polymesh groupings. Use R12 to have facet data embedded into the file vs ACIS data.

Exporting surfaces/solids to R12 uses the display list resolution which is controled by the fine, medium, super fine settings.

However, R12 does not support surface normals per vertex. VRML v2 supports vertex normals directly calculated from the underlying NURB.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
ZeroLengthCurve  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2014 10:10:57 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
MUST remember to SAVE before trying suggestions...

Exporting to R12 just CRASHED Slt v8, and took down an hour's worth of work. SIGH!