logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ianjkirby  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:43:51 PM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Hi all,
I have created a vc model of an artefact I made some time back, but never kept a spare sample for myself.
When finished, I was a little disappointed with the screen view. Basically I drew a truncated cone, then I created a series of rh & lh helices on the surface, then I made grooves along these helices by using the one rail sweep solid tool, with a small square shape, and boolean subtracting them. A look at the pics should make this clear (I hope!).
The problem is that I see extra stuff along the mid-line of the grooves, like a thin, narrow tape, stopping at the edge of each groove, but with a small area of ditto at the intersection of each groove.
I don't pretend to know if this is a bug or not, but I would like to know if anyone can help me get rid of it. If I select it, I get the entire solid.
All suggestions welcome!
Regards, Ian.

I can't add the .vc3 file, even though its only 3.2MB!? Again, any suggestions?

...and why does one image arrive opened, and the other as a link????
ianjkirby attached the following image(s):
grab1.jpg (56kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
grab2.gif (27kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
la mouche  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:41:34 AM(UTC)
la mouche

hello

Imo, your model is not healthy, it is the result of Boolean operations with a volume that does not extend far enough volume basis.

Cordialy
zumer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:38:01 AM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Are the vestigial elements part of the object, ie do they highlight when you select it? If they are, convert the object to surfaces, delete the artefacts (the unwanted bits, not the object!), then marquee select the rest and stitch to solid.
ianjkirby  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:09:44 AM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Hi zumer, la mouche,
I think you have picked it. The square shape I one rail swept along the helices was tangent to the surface of the cone. Thanks for your suggestion Zumer, but I suspect it will be easier for me to re-do it, with a distinct clearance outside the conical surface.
Regards, Ian.

Any hints about why the two pics were added differently to my post?
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
zumer  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:20:36 AM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
From memory, there's a maximum pixel x pixel size for the embedded picture and attendant thumbnail. I thought about nailing it down and working out how to get a nice-sized thumbnail, and an appropriate embedded one, but then I remembered that I'm not that anal and by then my abbreviated attention span had moved on to something more interesting!