logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ianjkirby  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 6:43:03 AM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Hi,
After a recent thread about linear arrays, I tried it out, and came up with unexpected results. I would appreciate any comments about my method, and/or the results I obtained.
I drew a circle, 5 dia, at the origin (blue, in the attached pic). Then a line from the origin 130 long, in the -x direction (cyan). I selected the circle, and chose the linear array tool. I entered a spacing of 6 in the data entry box, and when asked, picked the start (origin) and end (x = -130) of the cyan line, called reference points. Regardless of where (on the circle) I selected the original circle, the array (black circles) was drawn with the left and top tangents to the first arrayed circle in line with the origin, and all other arrayed circles were tangent and below the 130 long line (I was expecting the centres to lie on this line). I then drew a few lines connecting corresponding points of the arrayed circles (green), which 'verified' to 10.99 long. I definitely entered 6 in the spacing data box, but nothing measures 6. Can anyone explain why the spacing is not 6, and why the circles are below the line and offset to the right? I would also have expected the array to 'add' to the original item (as shown in the tool icon!!), but it rather looks like the first array item is too close to the original object.
One final thing; the distance from the centre of the final circle to the end of the cyan line is 11.56. Why wasn't there one more circle, given that they are spaced 10.99 apart?? :confused:

Regards, Ian.
( Using VC2d3d, v6, build 786)

OK, I have found the 'spacing' thing; it is the distance BETWEEN adjacent edges/points on objects in the array, so for my 5 dia circles, and 6 spacing, the 'pitch' is 11, although the verified distance is 10.99. Is this a common use of 'spacing'? My intuition led me to expect the pitch to be used for this parameter.
Another thing just 'discovered'; if after selecting the start point reference one swings the mouse around that point (ie, rubber-banding around the origin in my example), the first arrayed circle is always on the same side of the origin as the mouse when crossing the axes, except when crossing the -x axis, when the array 'jumps' one object to the right!!
File Attachment(s):
linarray.vc3 (8kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
ianjkirby attached the following image(s):
linarray.png (8kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
blowlamp  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 4:04:14 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Ian.
After a quick test it seems ok here, but it could have been rectified as I'm on build 838 - why aren't you?

Martin.
ShawnDriscoll  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 5:39:53 PM(UTC)
ShawnDriscoll

Where's the download link to 838?
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:28:17 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ShawnDriscoll Go to Quoted Post
Where's the download link to 838?

This having to find the link thing is getting silly. Tim usually emails us these links, but some people get left out.

Personally I think betas should NOT exist, and developers should just release a version that does what it says it should do.

I really hope we don't have a repeat of the beta thing after v6. I don't think it does developers many favours.
zumer  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:47:52 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Or just post the links in public. VC 2D/3D is 839 now.