logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eHam  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2008 5:35:39 PM(UTC)
eHam

There are some obvious changes with 737 and I suspect that some are not intended.

Pre 737, I had been working up a procedure to form "cut" threads on a bolt shank (cylinder) by doing a one-rail sweep of a thread profile along a helix. If the thread profile vertical line was => the helix pitch, I got the "self-intersecting" error. I ultimately solved my issue by cutting the thread profile into two sections.

Now, after 737, I find that I can sweep the helix with a profile whose vertical dimension exceeds the pitch without getting the "self-intersecting" error! Great. However, when I now subtract the swept object from a cylinder and go to the wireframe display mode, the wireframe elements that represent the crest (outer diameter) threads no longer display. The solid thread model displays correctly as do the hidden line modes. I also changed the model to a mesh and all the facets seemed to display properly.

I am assuming that the data base contains all the necessary model data, but that something is preventing the wire frame from displaying properly.

I rather like the fact that the "self-intersecting" error has disappeared, but I suspect that it was not supposed to disappear.
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2008 7:19:49 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>I am assuming that the data base contains all the necessary model data, >>but that something is preventing the wire frame from displaying properly.

Yes. I fixed a facet display issue last week that might also fix this. Can you zip and send us the file to confirm?

>>I rather like the fact that the "self-intersecting" error has disappeared, but >>I suspect that it was not supposed to disappear.

Probably due to a difference in the new release of ACIS used in 737.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
eHam  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2008 8:55:06 PM(UTC)
eHam

Here is a file of my thread-cutting method. I hope it contains the info you need
File Attachment(s):
TimO_threads.vc3.zip (468kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.