logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eHam  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2010 1:38:03 PM(UTC)
eHam

Unless I have missed something simple, VIACad does not allow arrays of holes. In particular, in modeling a simple flange, I want to create a polar array of counterbored holes. An array is produced, but it replicates the entire flange, rather than just the hole. So, instead of a flange with six holes, I end up with six coincident flanges, each with one hole.

I thought that perhaps the hole is not an object that can be manipulated like a solid, however I find that if I select the hole feature in the history tree I can move it, so why can't the Polar Array function produce an array of holes?

The alternate is to design a slug, array it and then subtract the slugs from the flange, rather tedious at best. Simple holes and countersunk holes are not quite as tedious--an array of circles, use the Cutout tool and for countersinks, chamfer the resulting holes. Still though, a lot of work when there are many holes to do.
la mouche  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:45:07 AM(UTC)
la mouche

hello,
here is an example of possibilities to create a network of holes.

http://screencast.com/t/ZjU4MWVlNDQ

Tim?

It would be really nice if you could add in the tools of hole features, a function of holes in networks ---> parametrical!

thank you

Antoine
zumer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:02:30 AM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
A bit of a kludge, but intersecting the arrayed flanges leaves you with all of the holes in one flange.
eHam  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:17:00 AM(UTC)
eHam

Thanks for the responses.

I hadn't thought of using the Intersection tool to dispose of the extra flanges. I did need to use the wire frame mode to facilitate selecting pairs of solids. Still, creating a slug array and subtracting the slugs seems a bit easier, particularly if you have many holes.

Create the base flange, position one counter bored hole, plug it with a slightly oversize cylinder, subtract the flange from the cylinder to get the slug. Create the array of slugs, place a new flange and subtract the slugs.

I am surprised that there is no easy way to do an array of holes, given that a disk with a set of radially positioned holes is a fairly common machine element (pipe/valve flange, spur gear, tank access cover, etc.). I wish I had brought this issue up prior to the V7 release (its been plaguing me for some time).
NickB  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:53:08 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Perhaps ViaCAD doesnt have the tool, but in Shark this is easy. Use the Patterm Polar tool.

http://screencast.com/t/ZDNmYmIxYWQt

I think that this is what you are looking for.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
la mouche  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:39:40 PM(UTC)
la mouche

Quote:
I am surprised that there is no easy way to do an array of holes, given that a disk with a set of radially positioned holes is a fairly common machine element (pipe/valve flange, spur gear, tank access cover, etc.)

i agree

Antoine
chipmaker2  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2010 8:21:36 PM(UTC)
chipmaker2

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: eHam Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the responses.
Create the base flange, position one counter bored hole, plug it with a slightly oversize cylinder, subtract the flange from the cylinder to get the slug. Create the array of slugs, place a new flange and subtract the slugs.

Create the plug of the shape of the holes you want, counter bore or counter sunk for example. Array the plug. Use the subtract solid tool and select the flange then window select all the plugs. It's actually quite easy.
Chuck