logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Glenw  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2008 5:18:00 PM(UTC)
Glenw

I recently upgraded to Shark FX from Concepts V4 and am currently having a lot of trouble with crashing when scrolling on the mouse to bring the view closer. It has got to the point where it is almost a daily (very frustrating) occurrence and never had any problem in Concepts V4 on the same hardware (PC/ XP Pro ver 2002). Today I was in 3D and moved a solid with the shift key - whilst the solid was still highlighted, I scrolled to find the screen immediately locked. Only way I could close out was ctrl.alt.delete. I then ended task and clicked on save file window. When reopening the file, it comes up with file error - This file is damaged. Cannot read into application. If I then go back to my file folder, there are 2 versions of this particular file. One file has suffix sfx and this file is the corrupted one. The second version has suffix sfxA and works but without all the modifications I was working on at the time of the crash.
IN addition I find that when I open up a new layer in a file, that scrolling does not work until I click on the screen first. Is this normal?
Anyway my problems relate to scrolling and would appreciate if there is an explanation. Loosing work is bloody frustrating
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2008 5:39:22 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Can you send me a screen shot of your View:Shade Options dialog box? Sounds like its crashing related to OpenGL. This dialog box controls some of those settings.

Regards

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Glenw  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2008 9:02:25 PM(UTC)
Glenw

Sorry Tim cant get a screenshot. But I can tell you that Shade Options are set up as follows:
Static Shade - Phong
Dynamic shade - Phong
Shade Now - Gouraud

Following features are ticked:
Flip Normals
Z-Buffer curves
Use Clip planes
Backface culling
Use Transparency 20
Update silhouettes

I have not changed any of these from the defaults used when software delivered. Any thoughts???
nick  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 12:21:29 AM(UTC)
nick

Hello Glen

What Video Card do you have? Was the model you were scrolling in particularly large or can it happen with any sized file?

All the best
Nick
Glenw  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 2:10:12 AM(UTC)
Glenw

Hi Nick - ATI Radeon Mobility X1600. File size is 4.15MB and quite complicated with maybe 20 layers. Any thoughts?? Thanks Glen
Glenw  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 2:14:11 AM(UTC)
Glenw

Nick
Actually thinking about it the problem has been exhibited on the one file which I have been working on for a few weeks.
Glen
nick  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 4:11:18 AM(UTC)
nick

Hello Glen

Open your file and select Object Counts from Verify menu, how much memory is allocated to Facet Display and Curve Display? How much RAM do you have on your Video Card?

All the best
Nick
jol  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 5:19:26 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It's not the issue with Anti - aliasing is it ?

I think Tim has turned off AA completely on the Mac now !?
Glenw  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 5:18:11 PM(UTC)
Glenw

Nick - The Object counts in the opened file are:

Facet 823.3K
Curve 76.9K

I couldnt find the RAM spec for the ATI Radeon X1600 card. For your reference I am using a Compaq NC8430 Laptop with this card installed.

Any thoughts from here.

Glen
Glenw  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 5:25:11 PM(UTC)
Glenw

jol wrote:
It's not the issue with Anti - aliasing is it ?

I think Tim has turned off AA completely on the Mac now !?

Thanks for your involvement Jol
Glen
Glenw  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 5:25:57 PM(UTC)
Glenw

Glenw wrote:
Nick - The Object counts in the opened file are:

Facet 823.3K
Curve 76.9K

I couldnt find the RAM spec for the ATI Radeon X1600 card. For your reference I am using a Compaq NC8430 Laptop with this card installed.

Any thoughts from here.

Glen

Nick
Just found that this card has 256MB RAM thanks

Glen
jol  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 9, 2008 3:14:59 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Glen - can you please confirm .. this happens with different files open - not just a particular one ?

Incidentally, I also have the 256 Mb ATI X1600 card in my Macbook Pro .. and I have had quite some problems with it. Firstly with Anti Aliasing and then with bloody terminal flickering when I zoom in or out. I'm still having these issues and I hope Tim is onto it

Nick tells me that ATI have particular issues with graphic drivers .. so we need to see if there's an upgraded version of it for your PC. Presumably you have Windows Vista ?
nick  
#13 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2008 3:35:21 PM(UTC)
nick

Hello Glen

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that the problem might be as simple as overflowing the RAM on your Video Card but your Facet and Curve counts are no where near the 256Mb you have installed.

Have you tried downloading the latest driver for your card?

Best regards
Nick
Glenw  
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2008 4:29:47 PM(UTC)
Glenw

nick wrote:
Hello Glen

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that the problem might be as simple as overflowing the RAM on your Video Card but your Facet and Curve counts are no where near the 256Mb you have installed.

Have you tried downloading the latest driver for your card?

Best regards
Nick

Nick I will try that. Havent downloaded any drivers since purchase a couple of years ago thanks
Glenw  
#15 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2008 4:35:33 PM(UTC)
Glenw

jol wrote:
Glen - can you please confirm .. this happens with different files open - not just a particular one ?

Incidentally, I also have the 256 Mb ATI X1600 card in my Macbook Pro .. and I have had quite some problems with it. Firstly with Anti Aliasing and then with bloody terminal flickering when I zoom in or out. I'm still having these issues and I hope Tim is onto it

Nick tells me that ATI have particular issues with graphic drivers .. so we need to see if there's an upgraded version of it for your PC. Presumably you have Windows Vista ?

Jol
Have been working on this file exclusively for a month and the problem has only existed on this file so far so I cant say for sure but probably exclusive to this file. AA is off. Have run verify-check objects with nothing showing up. The file is now 40 layers so I think I will paste in selected objects to a new file and start with a clean slate. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Will also download latest driver for the ATI card and for your reference running XP Pro. Vista had just been launched when I purchased the laptop and the recommendation was to stay with XP Pro. Anyway thanks for your help
Glen
nick  
#16 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2008 2:27:57 AM(UTC)
nick

Hello Glen

Rather than copy and paste to new file I would select the entities you want in your new file and then File:Export with Shark as file type and Selected Only checked. Then just open the resulting exported file.

All the best
Nick