logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Glenn Karnish  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:44:28 AM(UTC)
Glenn Karnish

I can not get the Lofted Solid function to work in the current 5.5 beta (build 838)

File is attached.

GK
File Attachment(s):
Loft_Solid_Test.sfx (16kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
blowlamp  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:18:31 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Glenn.
Turn the Surfaces into solids first (use the Thicken Solid tool), and try again - it worked here for me.

Martin.
Tim Olson  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:45:16 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>Turn the Surfaces into solids first

Yes, this tool requires a solid to work with. It uses the adjacent faces of the referenced face to set the tangency.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Brian Crowe  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:00:19 PM(UTC)
Brian Crowe

I am also having a little trouble with Lofted Solids. My initial solid model was two solid cylinders that touched at a point - like two rods siting one on top of the other that form the letter "T". In essence, I want to "weld" them where they touch and fill the void so that I have a smooth "saddlepoint" transition between the cylinders except fot the top of the "T" that should be flush with the topmost face...

Do the faces of lofted solids need to be flat?

I am still a bit of a novice in some respects with ViaCAD Pro - maybe there is a better way that I don't know about...

Any suggestions on how to "weld" the cylinders if not by lofting the two solids?

Thanks - Brian
File Attachment(s):
2cylinders.vcp (15kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

blowlamp  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:24:35 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Brian.
None too sure what a saddlepoint transition is, but I have managed to weld it for you. Is this anything like you're after?

Martin.
File Attachment(s):
welded.vcp (140kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

unique  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:29:03 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Brian Crowe Go to Quoted Post
I am also having a little trouble with Lofted Solids. My initial solid model was two solid cylinders that touched at a point - like two rods siting one on top of the other that form the letter "T". In essence, I want to "weld" them where they touch and fill the void so that I have a smooth "saddlepoint" transition between the cylinders except fot the top of the "T" that should be flush with the topmost face...

Do the faces of lofted solids need to be flat?

I am still a bit of a novice in some respects with ViaCAD Pro - maybe there is a better way that I don't know about...

Any suggestions on how to "weld" the cylinders if not by lofting the two solids?

Thanks - Brian

Hi Brian,

If I understand you correctly you will need the surface tools palette and fillet surface. Open the file attached and checkout the history tree and what has been done....

HTH
File Attachment(s):
2cylinders-ph.vcp (302kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Brian Crowe  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:59:41 PM(UTC)
Brian Crowe

Hi Martin,

You have solved this problem so easily that I am embarrassed...

Originally Posted by: blowlamp Go to Quoted Post
Brian.
None too sure what a saddlepoint transition is, but I have managed to weld it for you. Is this anything like you're after?

A saddlepoint is a surface that curves up in one direction and curves down in the perpendicular direction - a fillet that wraps around two perpendicular cylinders would be a saddlepoint. I see that you 1) union'ed the two parts, and 2) filleted them (with the blend tool?)...

I swear that I tried that as well, and I bet that I had a radius that was too large, so it failed.

I also see that HTH has solved this problem in quite a different way by creating surfaces and filleting them. I tried something similar to that approach - I did not creat surfaces, but I did use the fillet surface tool which left a hollow void seen by looking down from above the "T". I see that HTH avoided the void by creating surfaces from the cylinders. Very clever indeed.

Well, I have to thank you both for being so quick and so clever. I have quite a bit to learn. Thank you both for your time and solution to my problem.

Brian
blowlamp  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:18:18 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Brian.
While using the Blend Tool in this situation, I find the trick to it is to hold the shift key and select each cylindrical surface in turn. You will then be asked to specify a help position - this is the intersection point of the rods. Click here, and you should be done - not even necessary to union the rods first.

Martin.
Brian Crowe  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:35:50 PM(UTC)
Brian Crowe

Hi Martin,

I can reproduce this, now. It is tricky to select the Help point, but I have done it...

THANKS!

Brian
ZeroLengthCurve  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:59:57 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I don't have my laptop open, but at first thought, i would try intersecting the two cylinders then doing Verify, Intersections and get a look at the result. Then, i'd trim the two solids/cylinders using the trim or break solid, or using the trim surface tool. I have yet to play with the blend/fill tools. This is making me want to explore these tools now.
Brian Crowe  
#11 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2009 10:03:10 AM(UTC)
Brian Crowe

Hi ZeroLengthCurve,

Thanks for "pondering" this, too. ViaCAD is a terrific application, and I am still on the (not zero length) learning curve. I am reminded that there is always more than one way to skin the cat!

Brian
ZeroLengthCurve  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2009 12:41:38 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I've skinned the cat enough times that it will need NURBS of STEEL, hehehe
L. Banasky  
#13 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2009 5:22:01 PM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
I don't have my laptop open, but at first thought, i would try intersecting the two cylinders then doing Verify, Intersections and get a look at the result. Then, i'd trim the two solids/cylinders using the trim or break solid, or using the trim surface tool. I have yet to play with the blend/fill tools. This is making me want to explore these tools now.

I tried to get more of a fillet weld look by playing around with the Deform Tool, and changing the radius of the fillet after deforming. I don't know how to export or save as a .vc3 file, only SharkFX. I'm also using Vista.
Larry
File Attachment(s):
Fillet Weld.sfx (736kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
L. Banasky attached the following image(s):
Fillet Weld.jpg (100kb) downloaded 5 time(s).