logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nabed  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2009 1:27:19 PM(UTC)
nabed

in its latest build (853) Shark has some very bad habits.
Some crashes will corrupt all files that were open during crash.
Adding features on models of medium complexity leads to free store overflow.
Undo the last step, everything fine again. Lucky me. Saving the file to feel secure (sic!) no apparent problems. On next application startup, when opening said file: “this file is damaged..."

I don't know what is going on here, but this is a very serious problem, it destroyed some four or five important files that I had to reconstruct.

Very, very bad, indeed.
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:02:07 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Have you also submitted the bug with the tool that Tim has given you/ us?

Tom
nabed  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:06:41 PM(UTC)
nabed

Did I miss something. What bug tracking tool?

Ciao, Norbert
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2009 4:19:35 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Okay- you're not v7 bug testing? Fair enough. Can you get this to reproduce on some clones/ copies of existing files? Also, which platform are you on? XP? Vista? W7? Mac??
nabed  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2009 5:53:14 PM(UTC)
nabed

Okay it is a bit difficult to reproduce.
As I said it seems to have to do with free store overflows resulting in non facetted models and with crashes especially when they occur during saving.
The nasty thing is that these crashes seem to corrupt all files that were open during this crash, not only the one I was trying to save.
Furthermore in other builds Shark used to save a .srkA file when crashing during saving, which was the last saved version of that file. This very helpful function seems to be gone too.

Very strange also that some of the files saved fine (after an undone modeling operation that lead to a free store overflow) and appeared to be corrupted only after closing and trying to reopen them.

In general this latest version seems too be quite sluggish in its graphic performance.
I checked facetting on solids (in very fine resolution-usually no problem) and found out that normal deviation for facetting was set to 1.0 resulting in overly heavy facetted objects. Might this be a reason for the free store overflow?

I run build 853 and MacOSX 10.6.1 on a latest Mac Pro 8 core 2,26 GHz and ATI Radeon 4870.

To the developers: Do You have a possibility to load corrupted files?
Tim? Anybody?