logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dotyman  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:11:32 PM(UTC)
dotyman

Hello,

I'm trying to export a model from Shark FX 5.5 to Hypershot. In order to maintain the separation of the individual parts I've colored them differently since, as I understand it, Hypershot will translate the different colors to designate separate parts.

This has been only partially successful. I still have incorrect pieces from random parts of the model somehow linked as the same part in Hypershot which then incorrectly applies the same material to both when I apply materials.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Do I need to first apply different materials in SharkFX to establish texture coordinates?

Help please!

Dotyman
nick  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 6:50:04 AM(UTC)
nick

Hello

We did quite a lot of testing here in the UK to try to get files into HyperShot successfully but never really got to the heart of the issue. We had several instances where files with assemblies using different materials for different components came in without issue into HyperShot but when the same procedure was applied to other files they appeared with all parts with just a single material. It's really strange as the same files imported consistently into Cinema4D with separate materials on separate components as defined in Shark albeit without actually bringing the materials themselves over to Cinema4D (all parts appear grey but really easy to just drag and drop to replace materials)

If I can be of any further help or you want to see what the results look like in Cinema4D for a particular file please don't hesitate to drop me an email.

All the best
Nick
dotyman  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:11:05 AM(UTC)
dotyman

Thanks Nick. I couldn't find a solution, so I tried translating to Hypershot via STEP, which seems to work correctly. If I find any other information, I'll post it here.

dotyman
mikeschn  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 10:53:36 AM(UTC)
mikeschn

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I know this is an old thread, but importing into Shot (Hypershot) from Shark is still a challenge.

The last thing I tried last night was exporting an obj file from shark, and importing it into Shot, where I turned on "group by material". (I had colored each material a different color.)

This seemed to work, but I'll have to do some more testing.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Mike...
ViaCAD Pro 12 on Windows; Viacad Pro 14 on Mac
misterrogers  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 8:06:18 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Originally Posted by: mikeschn Go to Quoted Post
I know this is an old thread, but importing into Shot (Hypershot) from Shark is still a challenge.

The last thing I tried last night was exporting an obj file from shark, and importing it into Shot, where I turned on "group by material". (I had colored each material a different color.)

This seemed to work, but I'll have to do some more testing.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Mike...

Mike, I just posted a question on the Import/Export forum about this. I didn't specify the reason, but here's why:

I've been trying to export to Keyshot to render, and have found that giving each material it's own separate color does nothing. I've only tried exporting as OBJ, 3DS and DXF. Been unsuccessful in all three.

So, I saved the file as an OBJ and opened it in Rhino. Changed each object/material to its own unique layer - at this point all objects were the same color. When saved as a Rhino file, Keyshot recognized each layer as the individual objects and only then was I able to apply the correct material to the correct geometry. Worked wonders from that point on.

I tried the layer thing in Shark 7 but to no avail. It doesn't seem to recognize individual layers from a shark file no matter what of those three file formats I export as. Perhaps there are other settings that I haven't tried messing with...?

The bottom line is that I really don't want to have to open Rhino to get Keyshot to properly recognize my geometry.
misterrogers  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 9:20:17 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

I just tried your idea of individual colors and exported as an OBJ file and it worked in Keyshot!

Thanks Mike!
mikeschn  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:39:16 AM(UTC)
mikeschn

Good to hear that misterrogers.

I've been playing a bit more with setting pen colors in Shark, and then exporting .obj to Shot, where I specify "group by material". It's working pretty good.

Does Keyshot have a "group by material" choice? and are you using 1.9 or 2?

Mike...
Tem  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 3:39:09 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I think exporting each part individually helped me a few times in going to KeyShot and Hypershot. I did not try different colors or layers. Granted one must then import each part individually as well. However, the project i was working on changed a fair bit from one ay to the next in little ways. So, replacing only what was needed kept file sizes manageable.
misterrogers  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 11:20:23 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

Good to hear that misterrogers.

I've been playing a bit more with setting pen colors in Shark, and then exporting .obj to Shot, where I specify "group by material". It's working pretty good.

Does Keyshot have a "group by material" choice? and are you using 1.9 or 2?

Mike...

I'm using v2.1. I haven't located an option "group by material" but during import the menu does offer a "retain materials" option. Keyshot is terrific!
mikeschn  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 11:40:29 AM(UTC)
mikeschn

Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post
I'm using v2.1. I haven't located an option "group by material" but during import the menu does offer a "retain materials" option. Keyshot is terrific!

I have Keyshot 1.9, and Bunkspeed Shot 2. attached is the dialog from Shot that lets me group the materials(Pen Color). I never found anything similar in Keyshot.

Mike...

P.S. The retain materials is only applicable if you've imported the same geometry into the same file once before!
mikeschn attached the following image(s):
shot_import_settings.png (24kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
misterrogers  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 7:16:59 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

I have Keyshot 1.9, and Bunkspeed Shot 2. attached is the dialog from Shot that lets me group the materials(Pen Color). I never found anything similar in Keyshot.

Mike...

P.S. The retain materials is only applicable if you've imported the same geometry into the same file once before!

Thanks for the info. What's does the Advanced Sewing Settings do that I see in the screenshot?
mikeschn  
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 2, 2010 7:01:54 PM(UTC)
mikeschn

Alas, I am not familiar with the sewing options...

But on a different subject, I went to the Bunkspeed forum tonight, and it is basically dead. Did Bunkspeed die? Did everyone go over to the other side (Keyshot)?

How is the Keyshot website doing? Things hopping over there?

What is your feeling of which rendering program is in the lead...?

Mike...
blowlamp  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:09:11 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

I've just bought OctaneRender and I have the same problem here too, so it seems like there could be something slightly amiss with ViaCAD's export as it's the common denominator.

The work around that I'm using is to import the .obj file into blender and immediately export it back out. I'm applying different colours to each part in ViaCAD, so that information is being picked up by Blender.

Any chance of this being checked out by Tim and Co, as Wavefront .obj files are one of the few options for getting models into rendering software and it needs to be a smooth process?

As an aside from the above. Octane is looking very good to me, with some cracking renders, that to my eye, are the equal of anything else - they really can be photorealistic and with the realtime display update, you're not waiting around for long either. Excellent value for 99 euros :)

Martin.
blowlamp  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2012 3:58:51 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

I'm sure this must be a ViaCAD issue as I consistently get an error message from MeshLab when trying to open .obj files made with ViaCAD Pro v7.

Also found out that Blender makes a hash of things by ignoring or removing vertex normals, which has the effect of messing up some (previously perfect) surfaces for me.

I'm quite surprised this hasn't been more of an issue with some of the more prolific render experts on here.

Picture attached of the MeshLab error message.

Martin.
blowlamp attached the following image(s):
Capture.PNG (33kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

blowlamp  
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 5:19:27 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

I've been playing about with AccuTrans3D and it appears to make the necessary repairs to Wavefront obj files that are produced by ViaCAD, to allow each object, or face of an object, to have its own material within my rendering application.

So for anyone facing the same problem, simply import your obj file into AccuTrans3D (with different colours applied to each object within ViaCAD to represent different materials) and simply export it back out without doing anything else and AccuTrans3D will have sorted out the missing/incorrect data in the file.

A fix in ViaCAD would be nice though, please.

Martin.
mikeschn  
#16 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 3:34:13 PM(UTC)
mikeschn

Martin,

Just for fun, try importing this .obj file into Octane. (I had to zip it up, it was too big otherwise!) It was created in VC8, and it has 3 pen colors in it. The tire, the wheel, and the face of the wheel.

I'm just curious if they worked on obj export between VC7 and VC8.

Mike...

P.S. How easy is Octane, compared to Shot or Keyshot?
File Attachment(s):
pen_color_test2.zip (907kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
mikeschn attached the following image(s):
pen_test_2.png (225kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

blowlamp  
#17 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 9:57:34 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Mike.
I've never used any of the Shots... or any other renderer come to that, apart from the one built into ViaCAD Pro7, so I have virtually zero experience in this field.

As for Octane, well, I wouldn't say it's been easy for me to get started, but then this whole rendering thing is a bit of an art, bearing in mind that you're playing with the physics of light and all that.

Look here http://render.otoy.com/forum/do...e.php?id=17026&mode=view and here http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22135 for an idea of some of its capabilities.

Martin.
blowlamp attached the following image(s):
wheelblue.jpg (47kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
wheelclose.jpg (60kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

mikeschn  
#18 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 11:06:23 AM(UTC)
mikeschn

Martin,

The images that you linked to have some pretty fantastic modeling and rendering! But I suspect the rendering is slightly more complex than what I am use to.

I drag and drop materials, and I am done. We don't have anything that looks complex like this... http://render.otoy.com/images/feat_ui.png

OTOH, I see that the obj files are working better than the step files. So I'll stick with the obj files.

Thanks for looking at that!

Mike...