logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bob La Londe  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 8:31:26 AM(UTC)
Bob La Londe

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I would like to figure out how to bend a sheet along an arc, rotate it X degrees, trim it perpendicular to its original plane, rotate it back, flatten it out and dimension it.
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff
www.CNCMOLDS.com
NickB  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 12:13:42 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Unfortunately there is no un-bend or flatten tool, only a bend tool. Also unfortunatly all features that you add to your part after bending it would be removed if you un-bent the part in the parts history.

Sheetmetal tools / a flatten tool has been discussed and asked for many many times over the years, but so far there has been no visible progress.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
Bob La Londe  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 1:06:02 PM(UTC)
Bob La Londe

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Ok... I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out a way to do it before I asked. I've found work arounds for a few other things. I was hoping maybe somebody had figured out a work around for this. Oh, well. I'll have to find another tool for that application. Thank you.
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff
www.CNCMOLDS.com
NickB  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 4:38:25 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My work around is to extrude the sheetmetal sections I need, or create a solid block, add the outside radius, then use the core tool to remove all the sides that I want open leaving the material thickness that I want. I then use the extrude hole tool and trim tools to add features. This method allows me to easily change material thickness while maintaining overall outside dimensions.

The last big (sheetmetal) project I worked on used a hex perf pattern that was then bent around a large radius. To create that I made a simple block, extruded the hole pattern into the block, and then bent the part with the bend tool (which is very buggy, and would only bend the part in the wrong direction which meant that after the part was bent I then needed to mirror it to get it going in the right direction). I also find that beyond a certain number of bends on the same part the tool becomes completely unusable as it refuses to bend parts in the direction that you want, or to a radius that you want.

As far as unfolding, I don't. Instead I hand over a STEP file to my sheetmetal vendor who then unfolds in SolidWorks. That way I define what I want the finished part to look like, and the vendor is responsible for getting there. If needed I add a 2D drawing of the finished 3D part with call outs for critical dimensions, like edge to hole centers so that the vendor knows what items are critical. One other trick is to replace Sharks arbitrary part number with your part number, and similarly rename any standoffs / inserts with the appropriate PEM part number.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
blowlamp  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:35:30 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

You might be able to hack your way through this job by showing the Iso Lines on the surface of interest and using the measuring facilities in ViaCAD to make a pretty close approximation of the flattened surface.

Just take a few Iso Line measurements and lay them out on a flat plane, then use use one of the spline tools to get the outline.

http://www.screencast.com/users...5-445d-912e-686c48640fa1

Martin.
daleroe  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 5:50:59 PM(UTC)
daleroe

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: blowlamp Go to Quoted Post
You might be able to hack your way through this job by showing the Iso Lines on the surface of interest and using the measuring facilities in ViaCAD to make a pretty close approximation of the flattened surface.

Just take a few Iso Line measurements and lay them out on a flat plane, then use use one of the spline tools to get the outline.

http://www.screencast.com/users...5-445d-912e-686c48640fa1

Martin.

Thank you Martin, surfaces aren't my strong suit, I had no idea you could create iso lines let alone measure them.
-dale
HP Z800 Dual Xeon 5690 3.46Ghz 64GB
nVidia Quadro 6000 6GB
Win pro 7-64
SharkCAD Pro v10.0.0 B1354
Shark FX v9.0.4 B1162