logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dickon  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2008 11:47:05 AM(UTC)
Dickon

Hi just trying viacad out after some years using concepts 2d, I have created some rectangular polygons as part of a kitchen plan which keep changing size for no reason, for example polygon at 600*450 is created but when I come back to it is shown as 599*450, hmmmm! annoying that, so I then attempt to resize by entering 600 in the appropriate box but it refuses to take.
To be honest this is not critical for this kitchen but would be for furniture design which would be my normal use for the software.

This is happening on a drawing originally created in concepts 2d maybe that is part of the problem?

Wall dimensions (auto) this needs improving, at corners it keeps dimensions to the center of the corner and does not change to the external surfaces of the wall.(I did not search this gripe so I am sure I am not the first)

The wall tool is one of the reasons for considering moving to viacad. Otherwise it just seems a bit ahead on the development curve to concepts.
Anyone with insight about moving from Concepts 2d to viacad 3D? or visa versa?
Steve.M  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2008 12:57:21 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Dickson,

I have not yet seen rectangular polygons change size

For the dimensions of walls, it will depend on the option chosen, as example, when you chose "multi wall" you also have the options for multi wall centerline / inside / outside.

what OS are you on?
Tim Olson  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2008 1:11:54 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>for example polygon at 600*450 is created but when I come back to it is >>shown as 599*450,

Can you post the file?

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2008 5:15:58 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Tim

The metric rounding seems to be an issue with the rectangular single line/smart polygon tool. See attached.

Both were entered with units on mm, 8 decimal places. 600 and 450 entered in the data entry window.

This is the same in inches as well.

Thanks
Jason
Viacad v6 787
Vista
File Attachment(s):
polygon.vc3 (14kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
polygonmetric.JPG (83kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
Dickon  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:15:10 AM(UTC)
Dickon

Heres the file, does seem to relate to smart polygons alright, for example click on exterior of "hob extractor" in elevation drawing this was entered as 600mm wide but displays as 599mm, cannot correct using data input window.

Also happening in this drawing (or not happening) cannot move dimension vertexes (verti?) by select and drag or nudge.

Also nudge is a bit erratic not all objects are nudgeable even when selected, can be corrected usually by reselecting.Consistently not nudging after 'select-alter nudge distance-nudge' sequence.

It would be great to have easier access to change nudge distance, I change this often many times in a period of minutes.The only way appears to be via pref window which is clunky and slow.Hopefully I have just missed the easy way of doing this.

This started as a concepts 2d file. Turn off layer 'Door fronts' select on layer 'Base units"

os is 10.4.latest on a macbookpro, ps has behaviour with second monitors been fixed yet (ie recognising when they are not attached upon reboot?
File Attachment(s):
s kitchen straight.vc3 (594kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Dickon  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:58:05 AM(UTC)
Dickon

Ok it appears that this bug is triggered by selecting in prefs 'display decimal digits = zero', at any value greater than this the value is displayed correctly as 600mm, however at display decimals=zero it appears to round down to 599.

For most furniture or architectural work I use millimetres with no decimal points, so I would like to see this fixed if possible. I do not remember this behaviour in Concepts 2d but then maybe I had that pref set differently.

Tim is there a plan to update concepts 2d with the wall function? the reason for asking is my trial of viacad runs out in 2 days need to decide to purchase or stick with concepts, a bit confused about viacad/concepts situation should I be looking to upgrade concepts to concepts2d/3d instead or is that product line discontinued at this point? The wall tool being what I have not got in concepts 2d (the reason for trying viacad).
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:11:25 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>Tim is there a plan to update concepts 2d with the wall function?

No further service packs are planned for Concepts 2D, Concepts 3D, or Concepts Unlimited. Concepts V4 products were updated to V5 versions of ViaCAD or Shark.

No further service packs are planned for ViaCAD 2D/3D V5.

Service packs will continue for:
--ViaCAD Pro V5
--Shark V5
--Shark FX V5
--ViaCAD 2D/3D V6

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Dickon  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:36:11 AM(UTC)
Dickon

ok thats cleared up the confusion Tim thanks I will have to buy in any case then,
Tim Olson  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:40:28 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

No further service packs are planned for Concepts 2D, Concepts 3D, or Concepts Unlimited. Concepts V4 products were updated to V5 versions of ViaCAD or Shark. When Punch acquired CSI, marketing guys wanted to change the product names with the next major release which was V5.

--ViaCAD Pro V5
--Shark V5
--Shark FX V5
--ViaCAD 2D/3D V6

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
jdi000  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:25:08 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Tim Olson wrote:

No further service packs are planned for Concepts 2D, Concepts 3D, or Concepts Unlimited. Concepts V4 products were updated to V5 versions of ViaCAD or Shark.

--ViaCAD Pro V5
--Shark V5
--Shark FX V5
--ViaCAD 2D/3D V6
Tim

Tim

What does this mean for Viacad 2d it is still at 713, and has none of the 2d/3d fixes from version 5 or version 6, is it going to version 6 or going away?

Thanks
Jason
Windows 11, 10
Dickon  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:48:29 PM(UTC)
Dickon

thats the only version I really need! strange corporate decisions indeed.
Seeing how support (as in updates) has gone for the versions mentioned above in Tim's post is there an assurance available that the 2d/3d version will be updated for the forseeable future?

best wishes
Dickon
Tim Olson  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2008 2:31:40 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>What does this mean for Viacad 2d it is still at 713,

Sorry! Yes ViaCAD 2D is a V5 product and we will continue to update it with service packs until a V6 is released.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Dickon  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2008 2:40:08 PM(UTC)
Dickon

Sorry Tim I picked you up the wrong way, thats how rumours start, meanwhile I have just purchased 2d/3d oh well, now wheres the smilie with tears?