logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Keith2019  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2021 2:41:47 PM(UTC)
Keith2019

Australia

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hello All,

In general, I really like using Turbocad Mac, however one area I always seem to have a problem with is if I draw a 3D solid model in Isometric view (which I do most times) I struggle to place the model parts into a drawing so they align to an X, Y or Z axis so I can clearly add dimensions to the model in the Drawing Space. I have been looking on the internet for assistance and also purchased the TC Mac Pro drawing instruction program, but still struggling.

An example is a foot support I am designing for a model steam train Tender. I am trying to place the "Grey, Left and Right Angle models", and the "Green, Left and Right Support models" into a Drawing sheet to add the dimensions.

I have attached a picture and the file I am working on. I am using TC Mac Pro Ver 12.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Keith.
File Attachment(s):
Foot Rest.tcp.zip (427kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
Keith2019 attached the following image(s):
Foot Rest Picture.jpg (427kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
UGMENTALCASE  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2021 4:30:55 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 303 time(s) in 205 post(s)
Just a basic model to sheet will do this for sure. It lays out predefined views, top, bottom left right whatever.
The other way is orientate the the model to look at the pieces as you want to draw/dimension them. Go to view, add new view and name the same.
Then do a model to sheet. Right click any view and go to change view, scroll down the list and select your named view you created. The view will change.
More often than not the standard views work fine, and then use sections or click the border of the view and hold ctrl (windows not sure what mac is) button and drag in any direction, this gives a projected view

Edited by user Saturday, October 23, 2021 4:31:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
Keith2019 on 10/24/2021(UTC)
Keith2019  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2021 5:58:48 AM(UTC)
Keith2019

Australia

Hello UGMENTALCASE,

Thank you very much for your kind and informative reply.

By chance I think I have tried (hopefully correctly) the suggestions you kindly offered in your reply, but without success. The problem I am facing is if a model part is not drawn on a workplane on standard view, then it is a real struggle to place it on a sheet / drawing space for adding dimensions.

I have added some more pictures from the drawing that show the Grey Support part is not aligned to any standard view. The Grey Angle part started as a long Rectangle that was aligned via two angles to the Green Support part and the Yellow foot rail. I used the Gripper tool to align the Grey Angle part to the middle of the Green Support Part and Yellow foot rail. I then used the Subtract Solid tool to trim that Grey Angle Part to fit.

The only way I seem to have some success is by following the steps Tim Olson suggested in a video called "Align with 3 Point Rotation" on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLF2LYvrMA

I think there must be an easier way, especially if you have a drawing with many parts/models that are not placed on a standard view workplane.

Any further suggestion / help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you again,

Keith

Keith2019 attached the following image(s):
Manual Orientated.jpg (212kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
View Right Side.jpg (49kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
Back View.jpg (72kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
Right Side View.jpg (82kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
UGMENTALCASE  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2021 12:43:46 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Hi Keith,

Check out the video attached to do the view thing. Sorry at the time I wasn't at my pc to show it. It's important to get the view in 3d correct before saving the view.
When you start the drawing it'll behave slightly different to what I show, I have my drawings set up a certain way for manual update and such, but yours should just show correct. From this you can use the various sections and such to do more views. I suspect to machine these angles you'll need a tooling ball shown and come from the ball centre? Not sure what you intend to do with it?

Happy to help further if you do that. It'll mean adding in some perpendicular curves and such to get dimensions working right

Cheers

(https://www.zipshare.com/download/e2FyY2hpdmVJZDo3MWRkZTUwZi1kYzFiLTRkYmItODRjZi03YmUxMGVlZDI2YjF9)

Edited by user Sunday, October 24, 2021 12:47:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
Keith2019 on 10/24/2021(UTC)
Keith2019  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2021 4:49:58 PM(UTC)
Keith2019

Australia

Hello UGMENTALCASE,

Thank you very much, you have made my day :-)) Your attached video is excellent and shows exactly what I was trying to do. I have been trying off and on for about a year to sort this issue out and your video shows the answer.

I wrote down the steps in your video and easily reproduced the process which works very well.

You are correct, I needed the angles to set up the part to make the semi circle cutout. The way I plan to do it is place the part in a milling machine vice with a piece of sacrificial scrap metal either side and vertical drill the semi circle out.

Thank you again,

Keith

UGMENTALCASE  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2021 12:50:17 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Not a problem, happy to help.

You can do the 3 point rotation thing, it just means the model end up moving from where ever it is suppose to be, so not ideal.

Enjoy your project, looks nice :-)