logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
boydage  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2021 7:53:48 PM(UTC)
boydage

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Lots of bugs and once again I got sucked into upgrading to something with new and more rubbish, bugs and stupid things that a decent CAD program SHOULD NOT DO!!!

My company I work for is looking for something to use and this is the last time I give these people my money. Every time its, "Oh you can fix this by this latest version" crap.

Ive just spent half a day designing something to export it into Fusion to find for some reason this program has decided all on its own to use imperial. I never use imperial, I never will, all my last projects are in metric. And I have no idea how to scale it to metric from imperial.

Oh. This is not to be confused with their other bug that followed Shark from version to version where it exports Step metric files and makes them imperial. No. This is just a stupid one where I find the preferences for whatever reason are now changed.

F%^k I hate this program with all my heart. I am sick of it.
MaiFy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2021 10:55:54 PM(UTC)
MaiFy

Australia

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 28 post(s)
That problem might not wholly be a shark fault.
It seems in the last couple of weeks quite a few people, (more than normal) are having issues with the metric imperial bug.
Which is of no consolation for you.
Windows just had a bigger than normal upgrade so they may have reset the processing metric imperial procedure which would be out of punchcads control.
However Punchcad don't have a system where they email you with a patch link either. Which for a standalone program is user beware for the changing of old operating platforms rendering software unusable on updated operating systems, but then again the program released has never been bug free and some would argue not up to scratch. (like, its not a go fund me concept thing)

The lack of communication or even marketing emails from punhcad to me is one huge missed sales opportunity. (You dont want to be spammed but product updates and sister programs being offered once every 6 months or so is just normal business practice)
They make one off sales and you never hear from them again. Hunhhh, what the F#5!@? They must be the only genuine software company to work like that.
I think Tim Olsen used to do some promotional emails but nothing that I recall for 2 or 3 years now.

Users are to a degree invested in this product, like this product, and don't want to move to another program but there is no link to the company other than the forum or the web site, which is reliant on the user to pursue.

Its only sales of programs that is paying for program development. The more sales the more programing people they can pay to develop it. It makes no sense to me not to have an active email sales strategy that would in turn lead to a bigger budget to fix issues.

I said 2 or 3 years ago somewhere on the forum programs that aren't subscription based these days, tend to die away and fade out of existence.

I hope they get their act together soon.

thanks 2 users thanked MaiFy for this useful post.
GARLIC on 7/11/2021(UTC), specktech on 7/19/2021(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2021 6:55:19 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Yeah still doesn't mean you can release a program, charge a few grand for it when it's full of bugs and expect everyone to be sympathetic when they can't pay a programmer to fix it?
For me it should be fixed and that's final. The beta section hasn't been looked at for months from them. I've put loads of problems in there and sent separate messages etc. Nothing.
I was happy to see a 12.3 version though, instead of expecting everyone to upgrade to v13.
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
specktech on 7/19/2021(UTC)
MaiFy  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 12, 2021 5:52:44 AM(UTC)
MaiFy

Australia

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Has anyone looked at or used bricscad?
I'm not technical enough to compare features but it looks okay at a glance.
MPSchmied  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 12, 2021 6:42:04 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MaiFy Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone looked at or used bricscad?
I'm not technical enough to compare features but it looks okay at a glance.

I have tested it sometimes. It is not very high performant, i guess it is the same Performance like ViaShark. Construction works better with ViaShark. Some Features are only with Console-input available. It have good Metal-sheet-functions. I made already models with ViaShark and the unrolling of the Metal Sheet Models with BricsCad.

I have never repeated this imperial-metric-bug.If you change the units in your target program from imperial to metric you have to convert the values at the same time, this is available with some settings like a checkbox. i was testing it now with TurboCAD.

Edited by user Monday, July 12, 2021 7:07:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
thanks 1 user thanked MPSchmied for this useful post.
MaiFy on 7/12/2021(UTC)
warwickshaw  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 12, 2021 11:51:58 PM(UTC)
warwickshaw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The file that maintains the units preference is
C:\Users\[[USERNAME]]\AppData\Local\Punch!\SharkCAD\SFXPrefs.ini

The [Units] section contains the key UnitType, with values of
1 = inch
2 = feet
3 = feet/inches
4 = millimeters
5 = centimeters
6 = meters

This file is deleted and renamed whenever Apply or OK is clicked from Preferences, and when SharkCAD opens and closes.

The *.ini files in the SharkCAD folder can be monitored with this powershell script.

# SharkCAD.ps1
#
# Usage:
# change [[USERNAME]]
# open cmd
# execute:
# powershell SharkCAD.ps1 # ctrl-c to close
# start SharkCAD
#
# Reference
# https://powershell.one/t...system/filesystemwatcher
#

$watcher = New-Object System.IO.FileSystemWatcher
$watcher.Path = "C:\Users\[[USERNAME]]\AppData\Local\Punch!\SharkCAD\"
$watcher.Filter = "*.ini"
$watcher.IncludeSubdirectories = $true

$fileOp = {
$path = $Event.SourceEventArgs.FullPath
$changeType = $Event.SourceEventArgs.ChangeType
$logline = "$(Get-Date), $changeType, $path"
Write-Host $logline -ForegroundColor Yellow
}

Register-ObjectEvent -InputObject $watcher -EventName "Created" -Action $fileOp
Register-ObjectEvent -InputObject $watcher -EventName "Changed" -Action $fileOp
Register-ObjectEvent -InputObject $watcher -EventName "Deleted" -Action $fileOp
Register-ObjectEvent -InputObject $watcher -EventName "Renamed" -Action $fileOp

$watcher.EnableRaisingEvents = $true

do
{
Wait-Event -Timeout 1
Write-Host "." -NoNewline
} while ($true)

thanks 2 users thanked warwickshaw for this useful post.
specktech on 7/19/2021(UTC), Stephan on 10/15/2021(UTC)