logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bbuxton  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2021 9:47:51 PM(UTC)
bbuxton

Japan

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I am quickly tiring of switching back and forth between v12 and v10
SubD2Nurbs was one of the better features of v10 and the associativity made the feature superior to implementations in other CAD software.
I don't know if there will be a v13 but if there is please put the feature back, or sell it as an addon or something.
It was an IMPORTANT and VALUABLE feature.
The removal is even more annoying than when you took away constraints after v8 only to put them back (as a new feature) in v11.
With the addition of more polygonal tools in v12 it is hard to understand the removal of perhaps the most useful part of that toolset.
Junior member since Concepts Unlimited V1 pre-release
thanks 5 users thanked bbuxton for this useful post.
L. Banasky on 3/26/2021(UTC), jlm on 3/26/2021(UTC), GARLIC on 3/26/2021(UTC), ALBANO on 3/29/2021(UTC), magicart on 3/29/2021(UTC)
ALBANO  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2021 7:29:40 AM(UTC)
ALBANO

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Absolutely second that!
Plus: please make it more usable with directly editable and prefiewable crease definitions.
A simple symmetry setup and select "only visible points and faces" would make this a killer feature for selling SharcCAD.
thanks 1 user thanked ALBANO for this useful post.
GARLIC on 3/29/2021(UTC)
thefro  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2021 10:32:37 AM(UTC)
thefro

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I agree please bring it back
cad'n'stuff  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2021 1:33:39 PM(UTC)
cad'n'stuff

Man

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 21 post(s)
In my opinion, the mesh features are basically useless without being able to convert it to Nurbs objects. Without this functionality, you're better off using blender.
murray  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2021 6:14:18 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
It might be that IntegrityWare/NPower ramped up the cost of licensing to an impractical level. Have you seen the cost of their Power Surfacing and SubD plugins for SolidWorks, and their own Cyborg mesh-to-nurbs, or mesh-to-cad as they term it? I do like their "shrink wrap" retopo to convert tri meshes to quad, also seen in their OnShape plugin. I've just bought Rhino 7 partly to complement Shark 10 PPP because it's got new retopology capability to do that, with great edge crease control. I'm a Rhino noob so I expect competence will take time. Instant Meshes struggles with edge creasing, but there are a few Blender retopo tools that work well, some shrink wrap, some "painting" edges and quad faces over the tri mesh. Even the for-pay Blender Market plugins are very well-priced, compared to "CAD" pricing. Another thing that bugs me about Shark 12 is that it's licensed to one PC with a backup, not flexibly for multiple PCs like V10. Frustrating for me, I have a garage of five or six PCs that I use for different contexts. Rhino does flex license with an online login for one license that will activate one PC at one time, shut it down on one PC, open on another PC. I encourage IMSI to adopt a similar method for Shark Pro and TurboCAD Platinum, now restrictively licensed like Shark Pro, one-PC limit. I've got 25 years with TC, near 15 with PunchCAD, but I won't be going further with either if they don't revert to a flexible license for the flagship products - along with more bells and whistles, natch...
thanks 1 user thanked murray for this useful post.
GARLIC on 3/30/2021(UTC)
bbuxton  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2021 7:17:16 AM(UTC)
bbuxton

Japan

I don't think Cyborg3d products are badly priced. I have SubD2Nurbs for Modo and it is also part of the FormZ toolset.
The main point of my post is that it was an important part of the mesh toolset and removing it degrades the usefulness of the mesh tools significantly.
The value is nicely illustrated in Tim Olson's toy car demonstration. Having a subD mesh drive an associative nurbs body is gold.
Altair Inspire Studio has it but the application is terribly flaky (worse than SolidThinking), it is kind of there but less accessible in Fusion 360. SharkCAD nailed it really well and it is a real bummer that it has been dropped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrxhvohwhLE
murray  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2021 1:21:25 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Yes, it's a sad loss to Shark, and if we're shooting the moon, I'd like to see retopo in Shark too!
UGMENTALCASE  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 1, 2021 11:16:31 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Originally Posted by: murray Go to Quoted Post
Yes, it's a sad loss to Shark, and if we're shooting the moon, I'd like to see retopo in Shark too!

That would be awesome but can you imagine? They can't fix the errors in the program now, that would bring all kinds of misery with it!
I have a topogun2 license and they are still in BETA for Topogun3. Some nice features in it, but it constantly crashed on me. I went looking and found Rocket 3F. Really nice program. Retopo is nice, draw on mesh, patch functions all sorts of good stuff. Then found nvil. Which is Rocket without the bells and whistles. https://digitalfossils.com/
https://www.rocket3f.com/

thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
GARLIC on 4/2/2021(UTC)
digitalphaser  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2021 2:02:40 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: murray Go to Quoted Post
Then found nvil. Which is Rocket without the bells and whistles. https://digitalfossils.com/

Wow, if the video corresponds to reality, then this is a cool software. I tried a lot of programs for retopo. But now zBrush has learned to do an excellent remeshing too. Super easy. Yes, this is relatively expensive. But today zBrush is quasi standard for each 3D generalist.

digitalphaser attached the following image(s):
zbrush retopo.jpg (144kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
zbrush retopo 2.jpg (211kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
UGMENTALCASE  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2021 2:43:32 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

It is nice software. The draw on mesh is excellent. You can literally draw a box drift the curser over the line hit caps lock and it patches it. Drag mouse left and right increases/decreases the amount of quads. Fast, simple and nice small obj exports as well.
UGMENTALCASE  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2021 2:51:36 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

https://youtu.be/5KKrqfK5mk4

This is a run down of the functions. On the left hand side it shows up the mouse/keyboard controls. There is a lot of hold this and drag that, but easy when you've done it a few times
bbuxton  
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2021 6:25:56 AM(UTC)
bbuxton

Japan

SubD2Nurbs is useful in being associative, therefore driving the generation of a nurbs body.
Retopo would indeed be useful, it works well in Rhino with Quadremesher.
External solutions are valid for retopo and even UV mapping but external solutions are really an imperfect last resort.
Even though losing SubD2Nurbs is inconvenient and switching back and forth between v10 and v12 is impractical, I'm having a better time working in v12 than I imagined would be possible. Perhaps I did not need to wait so long before upgrading.
The only other software I have tried where you can edit a polygonal cage to drive the generation of a Nurbs body is Altair Inspire Studio and to a lesser extent Fusion 360. SharkCad pro v10 does it better, I do hope V13 restores this or that the functionality is at least offered as an optional extra.