logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
a.wieneke  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2020 6:02:32 AM(UTC)
a.wieneke

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello,

i'm using ViaCad Pro since Version 5.And i teach it for goldsmiths.
in the last time i upgraded to ViaCad pro 11 and to Shark 12. These to versions i cannot teach/ offer :-(
Bothe versions are crashing very often, so i'm still using ViaCad Pro 10 with Powerpack.
This weekend i startet to look at FormZ.
The tutorials are very interesting for me.
Is somebody here with experiences in FormZ?

Sorry , i ask here, but i read here since many years and still feel familiar with this forum and Punch/Viacad.
viele Grüße
Andreas

http://www.wieneke.biz
SharkCad pro 14
OS X 14.0
thanks 1 user thanked a.wieneke for this useful post.
GARLIC on 7/26/2020(UTC)
magicart  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2020 2:39:32 AM(UTC)
magicart

Man
Poland

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hello a.wieneke,

the main problem with other CAD is I couldn't find highly advanced software combined with simplicity and precise "model to sheet" module similar to Shark. From the other hand I'never found such buggied software like Shark. Me and Shark is a very rough relationship - I love it and I hate it at the same time. I've tried to find similar softwares but with no success. Fusion 360 is horrible for editing drawings (You cannot do anything with projected lines), Rhino is perfect for 3d moddeling but 3d to 2d and creating sheets takes too long (and drawings are no associated with model). SolidWorks, SolidEdges - the price. The only alternative I found is IronCAD it's quite easy to use and very advanced software but the price is higher comparing to shark.

Magicart

Edited by user Monday, July 27, 2020 7:58:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked magicart for this useful post.
GARLIC on 7/27/2020(UTC)
cad'n'stuff  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 7:16:31 AM(UTC)
cad'n'stuff

Man

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Some CAD's have a cheaper basic version (ZW3D, Solid Edge,...). Depending on what features you need, this might be just what you want. Unfortunately, these programs are usually stripped off all advanced features.

The last time i tried FormZ, it was even more buggy than Viacad. However, that was a few years ago, so it might be different now.

Unfortunately, Fusion 360 has become so poular, that it basically annihilated all competition in the low price segment.
thanks 1 user thanked cad'n'stuff for this useful post.
magicart on 7/28/2020(UTC)
a.wieneke  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 3:20:06 AM(UTC)
a.wieneke

Man
Germany

Thank you.
in the testversion FormZ is so far more stabil then Shark 12.
Maybe i should still use ViaCad 10 and stop to be unhappy with the useless upgrades to version 11 and shark 12

What do you think about TurboCad, is there any different ?

some years ago i tried ZW3D, but it is a little oversized. And my CAM (Deskproto) is fine for me.
viele Grüße
Andreas

SharkCad pro 14
OS X 14.0
bbuxton  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 5, 2020 7:45:18 AM(UTC)
bbuxton

Japan

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: a.wieneke Go to Quoted Post
Thank you.
in the testversion FormZ is so far more stabil then Shark 12.
Maybe i should still use ViaCad 10 and stop to be unhappy with the useless upgrades to version 11 and shark 12

What do you think about TurboCad, is there any different ?

some years ago i tried ZW3D, but it is a little oversized. And my CAM (Deskproto) is fine for me.

I have used both applications for what seems like forever (Though I tried the trial for SharkCad pro 12 and decided to stick with 10). Neither is suitable for teaching the next generation of designers as they belong to a bygone age. FormZ won't do a rail revolve and misses a lot of the tools that are in ViaCad and SharkCAD pro.
SharkCad, TurboCad, Cobalt, FormZ, Rhino, Vectorworks etc are all from the same generation of CAD that tried to define the midmarket in the 1990's and early 2000's. With the exception of Rhino, all have serious performance issues and are not at all optimised for current hardware. To convey current workflows and make a good fit in the Maker Space, Autodesk Fusion 360 is well priced has access to generative design tech, can create simple assemblies and has T-Splines. Rhino3D comes in a close second purely for keeping up with current hardware and providing a good toolset in what I think is a horrible interface. Most other options are too expensive for starting out. For drawings I do like ZW3D and IronCad though.

I rambled sorry
Forget FormZ! Either try Fusion 360 or Rhino for best price-performance.
Fusion 360 is the better of the two for Sheet Documentation.

Junior member since Concepts Unlimited V1 pre-release
murray  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 5, 2020 9:27:11 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
What are the performance issues that you think detract from them? What difference do you think that makes in comparison to programs that you don't think have them? Are ZW3D and IronCAD among those?
bbuxton  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2020 12:00:17 AM(UTC)
bbuxton

Japan

t tghe start of
Originally Posted by: murray Go to Quoted Post
What are the performance issues that you think detract from them? What difference do you think that makes in comparison to programs that you don't think have them? Are ZW3D and IronCAD among those?

Typically performance bottlenecks are when performing surface blends (this is true in most CAD applications but worse in older ones that have not received much more than the minimum cosmetic updates). In formZ, surface operations can be quite bad and frequently introduces errors that are difficult to resolve later.
Similar operations in Rhino are much more responsive, in Fusion 360 they are good too. I think the original post was for Jewelry making and generating sheet drawings. ZW3D and IronCad do not have the same performance issues but they are considerably more expensive. Both ZW3D and IronCad have fantastic model to sheet functionality.
FormZ draft layout has all kinds of problems, with issues left unresolved for years. It is much worse than SharkCAD's model to sheet. FormZ and SharkCad are good for certain things, but most of their appeal is for people late in their careers that are already comfortable in the applications. I would never recommend them to students or people at the start of their careers.

I used FormZ and SharkCad together for a long time because they were a good fit for the work I had. FormZ has useful terrain modelling tools and general workflows for simple architectural forms, Shark I used for creating airfoils and ship hulls. My work was only conceptual, so I did not need more than basic drafting for presentations or occasional patent drawings etc. Now my work is changing fast, I have looked at a lot of alternatives. Very rarely will a single application cover every need. ZW3D is such a rare good all-rounder, but for now I have adopted Fusion 360 (instead of upgrading to SharkCad pro 12). It seems to be a good choice now as I focus on smaller 'maker' projects.

Edited by user Thursday, August 6, 2020 12:02:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

murray  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2020 11:07:33 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Regarding your complaint that FormZ won't do rail revolve, I investigated it quite a few years ago when Bonzai, now FormZ jnr., Was released, Somewhere in there they gave closed lofts continuity through the first/last profile, which is notionally an analogous tool to rail revolve.
bbuxton  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2020 5:00:36 AM(UTC)
bbuxton

Japan

Originally Posted by: murray Go to Quoted Post
Regarding your complaint that FormZ won't do rail revolve, I investigated it quite a few years ago when Bonzai, now FormZ jnr., Was released, Somewhere in there they gave closed lofts continuity through the first/last profile, which is notionally an analogous tool to rail revolve.

Not really a complaint. Rail revolve is useful and lofting to a point, boundary sweeps and other ways of attempting to replicate the function is not the same. FormZ and SharkCad complement each other very well and between the two I could accomplish most tasks. There are areas that are a disaster though, especially importing and exporting parts from other applications. If importing does not break hierarchies and part names, export certainly will.
Most of my frustration is with SharkCad.
Both FormZ and SharkCad are supposed to be budget solutions for CAD that also enjoy a presence on MacOs. Overtime development for both applications has been fairly disappointing and this shortfall has made both applications a poor choice for new adopters. SharkCad Pro is damned expensive for what you get- $2500. - Seriously it is 2.5 times the cost of Rhino which has far better market penetration, a deeper toolset and an enormous plugin ecosystem! Rhino still sees pretty substantial development (it is slow but the paid upgrades are every few years not every year) The cost performance for Rhino clearly reveals SharkCad for what it is.
Additionally for about $500 or so more than SharkCad pro 12 you can get ZW3D standard, it does not take long looking through the features in ZW3D to get an idea of what you should be expecting from a SharkCad pro license.
So as the ViaCad and SharkCad product lines join the TurboCad line up you end up with a staggering bloated array of mismanaged products.
Neither FormZ nor SharkCad has much of a future. However, FormZ does at least sit at a good price point, if you accept that it is not going to evolve much if at all, in the future.

thanks 1 user thanked bbuxton for this useful post.
digitalphaser on 8/24/2020(UTC)
a.wieneke  
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2020 8:23:08 AM(UTC)
a.wieneke

Man
Germany

Thank you for all your helpfull answers.

I decid for the moment, to go on with ViaCad 10 and wait for the necessery 'repairupdates'
With Rhino, i become not familiar, ZW3D, IronCad, solid Edge is only for windows
The testversion of Moid3d will not start on my mac.
--
so, there is not reaaly a choice for me.
And i'm old fashioned and like to buy software, not to rent.
viele Grüße
Andreas

SharkCad pro 14
OS X 14.0
thanks 1 user thanked a.wieneke for this useful post.
GARLIC on 8/22/2020(UTC)
digitalphaser  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2020 4:56:29 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Thank you @bbuxton for the adequate analysis and comparison of the CAD software. I completely agree. The best deals on the market for small entrepreneurs and freelancers is Fusion and Rhino. FormZ I like too, but this software is pretty specific.
Shark/VC has remained in the past decade. I had experience with Shark Pro 12, so I stay on version 10 and not planning to buy any upgrades in the coming years.
digitalphaser  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2020 5:02:11 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

By the way, this forum fully reflects the state of the punchcad developer's company. In addition to communication of software users, here also sells sneakers, sandals, pumps etc. Complete degradation.
thanks 1 user thanked digitalphaser for this useful post.
GARLIC on 9/12/2020(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE  
#13 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2020 10:34:52 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
I believe they are "working" on 1560 build. I put a feature request in for a welding box. A little like the feature control frame, but for welding symbols.
Mainly because the symbols, though ok, you drag them into a view and depending on which axis your view is on and what axis the symbol is on it simply doesn't display!
From that I got an email about a 1560 build to download and test.
digitalphaser  
#14 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2020 8:43:29 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Hi,
Last weekend I tested Fusion 360. And I don't understand any negative comments about this software. Now I absolutely love this simple and powerful package.
The program is so intuitive that I immediately started two new projects and realized that I didn't want to go back to the Shark anymore. All tools work flawlessly. At last, I did what I wanted, and not what the program wants. Cloud-based? And what? I didn't notice any inconvenience.

The only thing that confused me was the ridiculous price. This is not typical for this class of software. What is the catch?
magicart  
#15 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2020 12:58:17 AM(UTC)
magicart

Man
Poland

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Originally Posted by: digitalphaser Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
Last weekend I tested Fusion 360. And I don't understand any negative comments about this software

Try to make some basic operation like editing the drawing (add welding symbols or even simple line, edit BOM, take the dimension of spline or along the curve). I like Fusion 360, but it is not a shark (if it worked properly).

Magicart
digitalphaser  
#16 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2020 7:20:19 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: magicart Go to Quoted Post

Try to make some basic operation like editing the drawing (add welding symbols or even simple line, edit BOM, take the dimension of spline or along the curve). I like Fusion 360, but it is not a shark (if it worked properly).

Magicart

Yes, I've read that, but 3D modeling is used in various industries. My competence is prototyping, copying and visualizing etc. of real or conceptual objects.

I do not do technical drawing. Therefore, I cannot evaluate your statement.

As for Fusion’s drawing tools, they are less than in Shark. But the drawing modifications and constraints tools are great. Connecting splines and lines with G2 curvature allows me to create perfectly smooth surfaces. And this is very important to me.

The author of this topic is a jeweler. I guess that detailed technical documentation is not the most important thing in this creative industry too. But more freedom would have come in handy. :)
thanks 1 user thanked digitalphaser for this useful post.
GARLIC on 9/13/2020(UTC)