logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perry  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2020 9:38:32 AM(UTC)
perry

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have an object that has several rabbets and dadoes. I want to duplicate this object but make a couple changes to some of the rabbets in the duplicate, as well as the overall length of the object. How can I do this in ViaCAD Pro v11 w/Powerpack? When I copy/paste the object, the "Data" tab in the inspector/Object Properties windows disappears. Without that I can't select a rabbet and change its width, for instance, or the overall length of the piece.

Is there any way to do this in ViaCAD? it's just kind of a pain to have to re-make the whole piece multiple times, with the changes integrated.

Thanks!
perry  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2020 9:42:04 AM(UTC)
perry

Nevermind. It looks like when I select the object to duplicate, and I'm choosing the first thing in the resulting pop-up, it's not the whole object, but maybe a face or something? In any case, choosing the other option in that pop-up is selecting the whole object and that's letting me edit the data attributes.
perry  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2020 9:44:29 AM(UTC)
perry

Nevermind my nevermind...

It works if I put the object in its own layer and duplicate the layer. Selecting the whole object lets me edit the attributes. But if I copy/paste the object, the data field is gone.

...Or am I missing something obvious here?
creativecad  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2020 1:19:10 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 42 post(s)
I believe I have run into that same issue, and once I requested that PunchCAD address that issue. I just have to use the drawing tools or the gripper to modify the faces on the duplicate parts. The inspector attribute dimensions won't work on the duplicates.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
creativecad  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2020 1:24:43 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

I use the distance pt-pt tool under the Verify Menu to verify the part dimensions.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
perry  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2020 3:19:16 PM(UTC)
perry

Thanks. What I need to do is move the position of various features, which is super easy to do when the data tab is available. I spent a few hours this afternoon working on something and the disappearance of the data attributes fro some objects seems completely random. Sometimes it's there, and then suddenly it's gone.
creativecad  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2020 8:26:54 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

I think I can help you. There are several ways to do it. This is how I would do it. So to duplicate the part, use the selection arrow to select the part. Hold down ctrl then click the part and drag and move it. It will duplicate.

Unselect your part. Click the deep select tool. Hold down the shift key and click all of the faces on your part you want to move. In the inspector, go to the gripper properties menu and enable it. You will see the gripper arrows on your part. Click on the arrow on the gripper and drag the face(s) with your mouse. You can then type a dimension in the input box to specify how far to move them.

ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10