logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Art Smith  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 2:16:21 PM(UTC)
Art Smith

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 30 post(s)
does SharkCAD Pro have the capability to "engrave" lettering/numbers in 3D solid models ??? if so, where to I find the functionality? the objective is to include badging, part numbers, contact information, and .... in printed parts there by eliminating the need for decals.

Art
[email protected]
murray  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 8:38:42 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Yes, there's some conversation about it here: http://forum.punchcad.co...ts&t=10049#post38435 . I didn't participate in that discussion, but I did experiment some and found that success is most likely when the text is being projected onto a planar, near parallel surface, or at its least acute relationship to any other surface, ie use a projection vector as near-to-normal to the surface as possible. If text is obstinate, changing it to curves can work, but then you don't have a bounded region that'll offset (ie engrave or stand in relief) to the host surface or remain associated to the text. When those conditions are observed, I found myself getting pretty delighted with the results. I've also given thought to engraving/embossing QR codes with part info into the parts, we're almost at the point where a file reference to the CAD data can be carried by the part, so we might get to a point where we can scan the QR code and we're either led to a file repository for a dumb-solid part, or the QR or whatever code is itself a macro that'll rebuild the part in a CAD program, maybe even both. I think that's a more likely scenario in something open-source like FreeCAD than a proprietary CAD system, but (I think) it's exciting to imagine it.
UGMENTALCASE  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:49:31 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Version 12 has it
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
GARLIC on 11/26/2019(UTC)
GARLIC  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 3:37:10 PM(UTC)
GARLIC

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Is there any comparison chart available : SharkPro 11 vs SharkPro 12... would be quite interesting to know what future course to steer,
thanks !
MPSchmied  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 5:06:00 PM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GARLIC Go to Quoted Post
Is there any comparison chart available : SharkPro 11 vs SharkPro 12... would be quite interesting to know what future course to steer,
thanks !

wait a half year please
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm