logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
flatpack  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2019 12:55:26 PM(UTC)
flatpack

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Can anyone share what the difference is between these two tools?

Thank you.

edit (reason for question):

I had three adjacent surfaces and used Add Surface for the first two, but when I used Add Surface for the third one, it deleted it.

Tried Join Surface and it worked.

Edited by user Monday, July 8, 2019 12:59:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked flatpack for this useful post.
specktech on 12/15/2022(UTC)
rockyroad_us  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 11:26:16 AM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
As far as my understanding, join surface fills the any gap between the two surfaces and stiches. Sort of force join.

The add surface does behave as you have noticed depending where it is relative to the other surfaces. It sort of behaves like add solid tool. When you add solids together, it blends with common geometry or nurbs to be one continuous entity. You can just try it with two overlapping surfaces extended from the same line and overlapping and you'll see at the end that it turns into one surface. With join surface, the two surfaces have a join demarcation.

FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
thanks 2 users thanked rockyroad_us for this useful post.
flatpack on 7/9/2019(UTC), specktech on 12/15/2022(UTC)
flatpack  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:22:01 PM(UTC)
flatpack

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Thank you! Been working with a lot of sheet metal lately and have found using the surface tools are a good way to develop the initial geometry.

nice work on your site btw! may I ask if you use any other 3d modelers besides Shark/VC?

Edited by user Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:23:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:30:12 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>> Been working with a lot of sheet metal lately and have found using the surface tools are a good way to develop the initial geometry.

If we were to add Sheet Metal tools to Shark, what tools would you find essential for a basic package?

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
billb2  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:50:04 AM(UTC)
billb2

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The thing I would like to see is something I've never seen in any CAD program is the ability to work with photo-etchings. With these, all bends are made at a groove in the metal, with the groove slightly wider than the thickness of the metal. When the bend is made the radius of the outer bend is roughly half the metal thickness and the two edges of the groove meet on the inside.

Most people I know use 2D vector packages as they make producing separations for the front and back etching tools easier, but being able to design in 3D and unfold it, would hopefully eliminate the all too frequent out-by-a-thickness-of-metal errors.

I've been dreaming of software that would this way for the last 40 years, but I have to admit that most of my present work uses 3D printing.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:51:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bill Bedford

OSX 10.14.5

ViaCAD Pro 11 (1429)
murray  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2019 9:36:32 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
>> Been working with a lot of sheet metal lately and have found using the surface tools are a good way to develop the initial geometry.

If we were to add Sheet Metal tools to Shark, what tools would you find essential for a basic package?

Tim

One thing to begin: V10's powerpack unroll ruled surface doesn't like cutouts that encroach into cylindrical sections. By "doesn't like", I mean it chokes. Simple example attached, part 115, face 3.
File Attachment(s):
unroll fail example.sfx (45kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
murray attached the following image(s):
fail.png (83kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
murray  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2019 6:52:37 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Bend lines/centreline. TurboCAD had unbend from about V14 but didn't give bend centrelines or the edges of the bend material until V22/2015. If you're familiar with bending/unbending it's not a show-stopper, but it did irritate, and IMSI didn't really call them "sheet metal" tools or advertise that, just calling them unbend. I see from reading a SW tutorial that SolidWorks gets bend lines from an option of "merge solids" from the unbending, it considers the planar sections of the part to be unbent to be discrete to the bend material and represents their edges.
I think it'd be a bonus if sheet metal tools have simultaneous interactive neutral depth and K-factor data entry, ie if you've got a K-factor for your material, enter that in the data box, the program correlates that to your sheet thickness and returns the neutral depth. If you don't have K-factor, enter a neutral depth from the bend outer side and the program gives you a K-factor.