logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
macnavi  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 4, 2019 4:20:06 AM(UTC)
macnavi

Netherlands

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
When you option-click an object, you set the rotation centre for the Dynamic Rotate tool. Even if you select another object after this, it will still rotate around the first object. But now I would like to go back to the default: rotation around the centre of the screen, when nothing is selected/rotate around the currently selected object. Option-clicking in an empty space doesn't reset the rotation around the previously object selected with option-click. Does anyone know how to reset to default (except for restarting the program).

Thanks,
Sven

Edited by user Tuesday, June 4, 2019 4:45:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

My model steam trams at Tramfabriek.nl

Mac OS X El Capitan 10.12.5 - VC Pro v12
UGMENTALCASE  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 4, 2019 11:19:32 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 299 time(s) in 204 post(s)
Have a look at the inspector tool bar under the gripper bit. You can select centre of part you pick, or user position and all this. Might be what you're looking for?
billb2  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 5, 2019 2:47:18 AM(UTC)
billb2

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Inspector -> Gripper reselect 'Centre of Selected'
Bill Bedford

OSX 10.14.5

ViaCAD Pro 11 (1429)
macnavi  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 5:12:19 AM(UTC)
macnavi

Netherlands

Thanks for the replies.

No, that is to place the gripper. I want to reset the rotation point of Dynamic rotate. When I select 'Centre of selected' in the Inspector/Gripper, the place of the Gripper changes.

But it will still rotate around the object that I Option-clicked. That means when I zoom into an object without selecting it, I can't rotate, as it will rotate around an object outside of the viewable area, that has previous been Option-clicked.

rockyroad_us  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 8:54:48 AM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
The option-click is just a point in space. It can happen in a point in the part but it doesn't select the part the same way the gripper does. You can either dynamic rotate without selecting an object with the gripper or select an object with the gripper and then do dynamic rotate. When you say "I can't rotate", are you referring to the part or the view?

I would think you need to get out of dynamic rotate for you to select the part with the gripper so you can rotate it with the gripper.

Not many know about the option when you do dynamic rotate.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
macnavi  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 11:04:47 AM(UTC)
macnavi

Netherlands

Ah, there is some confusion. I don't want to rotate the part, I want to rotate around the part. The Gripper has really nothing to do with this, but I now understand why the comments refer to the gripper. It's about rotating around the object that is in the middle of the screen. Not rotating around a point outside of the screen.

Try this:
1. Take a cube.
2. Zoom in until you it fills about 70% of your screen.
3. Choose Dynamic Rotate tool.
4. Option-click on the cube on the left edge.
5. Move half of the cube outside the left part of the window, so you only see the right half.
6. Try to rotate with the Dynamic rotate tool

Result:
You will not be able to rotate the cube, only move it up and down, as it rotates around a point outside of the centre. Only by Option-clicking the right side, you can rotate again.

Before using option-click, starting with a fresh loaded Viacad, you would have been able to rotate everything that is in the middle of the screen. As the rotation middle point is not fixed on one point, but will change to around the middle of the screen.

So how do I cancel the selected rotation point?

Hope this is clear.

rockyroad_us  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 11:24:53 AM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

On step 6. Not sure why you want to rotate again. Is this a separate click on the dynamic tool after you have done in step 3 and seeing the right half.

If you click twice on the icon twice, the part rotates automatically on the screen about its centroid. Called autospin.

So I moved the cube to see the right half. But why rotate again. I think you need to end the dynamic rotate for you to move the cube with the gripper. Not sure how your rotating the cube either. You need to use the gripper to move it. Maybe do a video.

Edited by user Friday, June 14, 2019 11:31:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: calling the function

FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
macnavi  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 11:53:22 AM(UTC)
macnavi

Netherlands

Please forget about the Gripper. I don't want to move the object. I want to move around the object, to approach it from another side. I'll do a video.

rockyroad_us  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 11:54:37 AM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

I think your question is how to revert to no point after using the option click so that it rotates natural relative to the center of the screen. You went around the gripper so everything is about the gripper from everyone's comment. I think you need to option click to the origin so that the view rotates natural else it stays on the point you option click. it doesn't revert automatically.

Edited by user Friday, June 14, 2019 12:02:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added period

FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
macnavi  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 11:57:54 AM(UTC)
macnavi

Netherlands

Video of the issue: https://youtu.be/a6r6_Td6keI

rockyroad_us  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 12:14:22 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: macnavi Go to Quoted Post
Video of the issue: https://youtu.be/a6r6_Td6keI

Okay.. That really helps understand your beef. There's a way to reset the view when you have panned to the left but I can't remember right now. Have to remember that one. For now, you can use the navigator under the pull down window and use the spherical ball that will rotate the screen better.

rockyroad_us attached the following image(s):
navigator.jpg (13kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
macnavi  
#12 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 12:45:57 PM(UTC)
macnavi

Netherlands

Nope. That is not my issue. If I wanted to move the object in view again, I would just hold the space bar to move the whole thing.

You see near the end I can't rotate the object. Only up and down, but it won't spin horizontally. That is because rotating around the object, the centre point, is set at the most right point of the object. It is too far away from my cursor to rotate around. I'm pulling on the outer edge of the object. But if you hadn't done option-click, you could actually spin around the object on the horizontal axis.

Have you tried to option-click on different places around your object and then experience the difference when you rotate using the Dynamic Rotation tool? It seems you don't understand this function. It is explained in the top bar. But it doesn't say how to cancel it.

I think the function you were looking for to get everything in the screen again is Zoom All. Short cut = E

rockyroad_us  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 1:08:40 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

It has to do with your field of view. There's a way to enlarge it but can't remember that's why it won't do around but only up and down. The navigator tool will do it however. Did you try it? That will do up and down and around. Maybe you have not used the navigator tool.

I'm not zooming in at all or using the space bar.

I don't use option-click that much since I normally just click anywhere in space before the dynamic rotate to reset the view then I dynamic rotate and it just rotates about the last location on the screen. It is more effective that way.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
macnavi  
#14 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 1:37:09 PM(UTC)
macnavi

Netherlands

Hm, no, it has nothing to do with field of view. With all respect, it seems to me you don't understand what this option-click function does.

The question should be simple for someone who knows the function of Option-click with the Dynamic rotate tool: how to cancel this and go back to default, as it is when starting up.

Anyway, I've emailed Tim. Hopefully he will respond with the answer. Maybe it is just not possible to revert the action.

rockyroad_us  
#15 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 1:58:37 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

LOL. I know what it does. I've been using this longer than you have.

Also, it does rotate if you click the environment closer to the part. You are just clicking too far away and that's why it won't do it and thus appears like the command is not working.

Also, why would you pan to hide the point of the center of rotation on the screen. Beats me why you would want to hide the center of rotation. BTW, it is not called option-click. The option allows you click a point anywhere in the environment. When yo say option-click it seems you are still holding the option key all the time.

FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work