logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dnns  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2019 1:28:58 PM(UTC)
dnns

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
HI,

I'm primarily Mac-based. I find Parallels and 'boot camp' to both be lacking in functionality, so I'm in the market for a Windows computer exclusively for file translations (to/from the non-mac supported sort of formats), for Shark Pro 10. Minimum system requirements seem to indicate needing a graphics card (no on-board/integrated graphics?), but not too much more than 64 bit and some RAM otherwise. Space is an issue, so the smaller the thing is, the better. Laptop, one of those 'mini' chassis things perhaps?

The bare minimum that I can get by with would be great. I really don't care about anything more than getting a file format change-open, import or export, close, done. Anyone using something with integrated graphics? That would simplify the whole thing, size-wise.

thanks for your input. I searched the forum, but didn't find any answers (perhaps different search terms?)

-dennis

murray  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2019 3:08:28 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
I use Shark on a range of tablets from an Atom-CPU 10" with 8Gb RAM to a Surface Pro-like device with i7 and 16Gb, all integrated graphics. The Atom device is slower, but handles import conversions without complaint, as my more authorative machines do. GPUs aren't compulsory.
posh.de  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2019 4:55:25 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
avoid Atoms if you can, they are made fo netbooks and not for number crunching. A recent, high-clocked i3 (8./9. Gen.) can be interesting, they are pretty fast.

An integrated, recent intel HD should be sufficient if file conversion only... besides crashing initializing the OpenGL stack.

If looking for something tiny definitely check the intel NUCs and the Shuttle barebones which can be configured upon need. If the mainboard/case supports a dedicated graphics card, a passive-cooled, low-profile nVidia GeForce GT 1030 might be interesting.
POSH GmbH
www.posh.de
dnns  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2019 11:06:20 PM(UTC)
dnns

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank you for that information. Integrated graphics makes the whole thing easier. It looks like there are some NUCs that are tiny that will do the job.