logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
seldont  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2019 7:27:30 AM(UTC)
seldont

I would like to know the best way to precisely position circles (Screw holes for my design) based on their central points.

What I would like to do is define a number of screw holes that all need to be cut out of a solid to the same depth with exact measurements to various edges.

The size of the screw holes may change, so I would like to work with the centre position of the holes (circles) not the edges.

As far as I can tell the constraint tool only works with measurements from the edge of the circle not the centre.
Is there some way to precisely constrain circles based on their centre?

One solution I though might work (but I haven't tried yet) would be to mark the centres with points which could be precisely constrained
and then create circles (Screw holes) concentrically constrained with these points.

Can anyone advise the best way to proceed?

Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2019 8:59:49 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>As far as I can tell the constraint tool only works with measurements from the edge of the circle not the centre.

You can constrain the center of a circle using the constraint dimension tool. Hold down the shift key to select a vertex/center.

Speed forward to around 4:40 in the video below to see how to select the circle center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XaRH2XNqWM&feature=youtu.be

Tim

Edited by user Monday, February 25, 2019 9:00:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
thanks 1 user thanked Tim Olson for this useful post.
seldont on 2/26/2019(UTC)
seldont  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2019 5:36:07 PM(UTC)
seldont

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a newbie using Viacad Pro v11 for the first time.

The 'Smart Dimension' tool does exactly what I wanted (and very easily!!)- I had assumed this was an advanced function because of the complexity of the icon.

I was trying to use the 'offset constraint'.

Just for the record I was able to produce an accurate 2D sketch using 'offset constrained points' with 'circles concentrically constrained to these points'.

thanks again

Terry
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2019 12:42:58 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>Just for the record I was able to produce an accurate 2D sketch using 'offset constrained points' with 'circles concentrically constrained to these points'.

Excellent, thanks Terry for the update!

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore