logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
flatpack  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 9:18:51 AM(UTC)
flatpack

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 9/29/2014(UTC)
Posts: 236
Location: NC

Thanks: 77 times
Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Anyone have any experience exporting .obj files to Unity? Or using Shark/VC in general for Unity or UE4?

I have a small AR project i've been tasked with and want to use Shark to model the assets.

Thank you.
digitalphaser  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 1:45:31 PM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 4/17/2015(UTC)
Posts: 201
Man
Germany
Location: Berlin

Thanks: 12 times
Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Originally Posted by: flatpack Go to Quoted Post
Anyone have any experience exporting .obj files to Unity? Or using Shark/VC in general for Unity or UE4?

I have a small AR project i've been tasked with and want to use Shark to model the assets.

Thank you.


OBJ is a universal format. The model should be low-poly. Use the manual mesh setting.

You can load OBJ into Blender, clean up the model by removing unnecessary triangles and save as .blend. Unity love .blend as well. :)

Edited by user Wednesday, February 20, 2019 1:47:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

digitalphaser attached the following image(s):
meshset.jpg (110kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 1 user thanked digitalphaser for this useful post.
flatpack on 2/20/2019(UTC)
flatpack  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 2:41:01 PM(UTC)
flatpack

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 9/29/2014(UTC)
Posts: 236
Location: NC

Thanks: 77 times
Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: digitalphaser Go to Quoted Post


OBJ is a universal format. The model should be low-poly. Use the manual mesh setting.

You can load OBJ into Blender, clean up the model by removing unnecessary triangles and save as .blend. Unity love .blend as well. :)



Thanks for your advice and for the very helpful image. I have to admit, I am VERY AFRAID of Blender. It looks quite intimidating to me. Nothing is “standard” like a normal 3d modeling tool. Do you think that my fears are unfounded?

I like the fact that it’s free, but it doesn’t look user friendly.
digitalphaser  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 4:06:06 PM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 4/17/2015(UTC)
Posts: 201
Man
Germany
Location: Berlin

Thanks: 12 times
Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Blender is optional. It is just an additional opportunity.

In general, for simple operations like removing edges, Blender is quite simple.
thanks 1 user thanked digitalphaser for this useful post.
flatpack on 2/22/2019(UTC)
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 5:01:04 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 2/2/2007(UTC)
Posts: 4,998
United States

Was thanked: 208 time(s) in 183 post(s)
>>Blender is optional. It is just an additional opportunity.

Another free app you can look at for facet reduction/decimate is MeshMixer. I enjoy the user interface and features .

To decimate a model in MeshMixer you would :

Select : Modify : Select All
Edit : Reduce

You then use the sliders to dynamically change the resolution.

FYI, we are in the process of replacing the Decimate tool in PowerPack with that of TurboCAD PC. We're also adding mesh booleans based on TurboCAD PC.


Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design / Encore
digitalphaser  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2019 2:44:55 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 4/17/2015(UTC)
Posts: 201
Man
Germany
Location: Berlin

Thanks: 12 times
Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Yes, MeshMixer is cool. But it is rather an automatic solution. I meant manual cleaning and validation of meshes. I like to use VC/Shark to model the base form. But free deformation or organic modeling is better to do with mesh. Here is a short video about the possible process of manually converting NURBS to quad mesh: https://youtu.be/ntRpO2StJ80
Of course this is only one of the possible options. For example for hard surfaces it is not necessary. Shark flexibly enough adjusts mesh.
thanks 1 user thanked digitalphaser for this useful post.
flatpack on 2/22/2019(UTC)
flatpack  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2019 8:52:52 AM(UTC)
flatpack

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 9/29/2014(UTC)
Posts: 236
Location: NC

Thanks: 77 times
Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post


Another free app you can look at for facet reduction/decimate is MeshMixer. I enjoy the user interface and features .

To decimate a model in MeshMixer you would :

Select : Modify : Select All
Edit : Reduce

You then use the sliders to dynamically change the resolution.

Tim



Thank you Tim – I've not heard of this before. Sounds like what I'm looking for and is worth downloading.
flatpack  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2019 9:05:27 AM(UTC)
flatpack

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 9/29/2014(UTC)
Posts: 236
Location: NC

Thanks: 77 times
Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: digitalphaser Go to Quoted Post
Yes, MeshMixer is cool. But it is rather an automatic solution. I meant manual cleaning and validation of meshes. I like to use VC/Shark to model the base form. But free deformation or organic modeling is better to do with mesh. Here is a short video about the possible process of manually converting NURBS to quad mesh: https://youtu.be/ntRpO2StJ80
Of course this is only one of the possible options. For example for hard surfaces it is not necessary. Shark flexibly enough adjusts mesh.




Nice to see some additional Shark/VC tutorials. So few on YT. Quick question about one of your videos – is this layer nesting only available in Shark Pro? I am currently using SharkCad 10 and don't see this.. (you can see the difference)

Thanks!


edit: also I wish to request if you could please make an intermediate tutorial video on Animation using Shark Pro.

Edited by user Friday, February 22, 2019 9:41:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

flatpack attached the following image(s):
Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 10.21.37 AM.png (37kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
My version.png (6kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
digitalphaser  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2019 2:42:55 PM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 4/17/2015(UTC)
Posts: 201
Man
Germany
Location: Berlin

Thanks: 12 times
Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Originally Posted by: flatpack Go to Quoted Post


Nice to see some additional Shark/VC tutorials. So few on YT. Quick question about one of your videos – is this layer nesting only available in Shark Pro? I am currently using SharkCad 10 and don't see this.. (you can see the difference)

I'm glad you enjoyed the video. Strictly speaking, this is not a tutorial. It’s just thinking how VC/Shark can be used for different types of modeling.

Yes, these are sub-layers. I think your screenshot is same thing, but probably another OS.

Originally Posted by: flatpack Go to Quoted Post
...also I wish to request if you could please make an intermediate tutorial video on Animation using Shark Pro.

Sorry, I do not do animation with Shark. This is not my theme.
digitalphaser attached the following image(s):
sub-layer.jpg (72kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.