logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
3dup  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2019 4:36:31 AM(UTC)
3dup

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have license since V8 for the pro. Now i see there are a V11, it can be updated for about 149$.

I hope not to start all over with bugs, my V10 is real stable (one of the last build before V11).
The first release from V10 was so bad that i just used my V9 for long time...

VIACAD PRO has in the past not completed any version, before switching to a newer version, for user to pay.

What do you V11 users think, is it better than the latest V10?

Is an update worth it?
NeuTechFLA  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:18:38 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 3dup Go to Quoted Post
I have license since V8 for the pro. Now i see there are a V11, it can be updated for about 149$.

I hope not to start all over with bugs, my V10 is real stable (one of the last build before V11).
The first release from V10 was so bad that i just used my V9 for long time...

VIACAD PRO has in the past not completed any version, before switching to a newer version, for user to pay.

What do you V11 users think, is it better than the latest V10?

Is an update worth it?

My humble opinion is to stay right where you are. I really regret not stating this to a few friends on the forum and they are now stuck with all the pain of the new release and it's failings.

UGMENTALCASE  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2019 4:06:29 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
The constraints are nice, but it's not stable. I'm playing with a 156mb mesh and a model on top of it. It's crashed about 3 times now, with me losing quite a lot of work in between. No reason for the crash, no consistency to it. One time was doing a cut out, selected the sketch and the solid, and it crashed. Another I went to save it and it crashed. Never had these problems in V10.

Some of the features leave a little to be desired. I posted on here about the colour obj import. It's terrible. When I bring the scan into v11 in colour, and then compare that to the same scan in meshmixer, the difference is literally night and day. Posted on here, got no reply about it, so I'll assume it's crap and staying that way.

Hoping they are working hard to get it moving in the right direction, as I'm one of the many on the grumpy customer list!
3dup  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 6:21:12 AM(UTC)
3dup

Not many there have something to say?

-I have tested two complete free solution, and must say "DesignSpark" and "Fusion 360" are so much in front compared to what i normally find in VCP.
-No crash, no problem at all to go back and change a profile. Other complicated stuff there in 90% of the time in VCP need a complete redesign of a part, can be done in few mouse click.

No V11 update for me, i have payed form VCP 8 to 9 and to 10.
All version switch have so many problem and so many beta release, that is was not possible to use the software in production.
I have been locked to the old version for month before an update solved some of the most critical problem.

Sorry to say, it was a nice package in the past, but not any more, too few development resources.

I will use my VCP-V10 for old project, but for new project i will use "DesignSpark" or "Fusion 360", both are free for personal use, much better and stable choice.
magicart  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:03:18 AM(UTC)
magicart

Man
Poland

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 39 post(s)
I use Fusion 360 from two years and I cannot agree it is a good alternative for ViaCad /Shark. There is also many bugs and working with 2d model is very pure. You cannot do almost 80% of this, what You can do with Shark: free projections of views, breaks, cannot grab free point for dimensioning, cannot put additional graphics, drawings, pure comments' tool an many, many more. And the efficiency of VCP is much higher. Every model I created in Fusion 360 I can build in Shark two times faster. Don't make me wrong, I hate bugs in VCP! But I've never found more efficient software.

Magicart
thanks 1 user thanked magicart for this useful post.
MPSchmied on 2/14/2019(UTC)
3dup  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:44:00 AM(UTC)
3dup

I don't know what you design, I only design mechanical parts for electronic.
Maybe you are right, i can't say for now, only used some weeks for testing on the other software.
magicart  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 4:32:06 AM(UTC)
magicart

Man
Poland

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hello,
I've been using Fusion 360 in many projects: theatrical decorations, mechanical parts, steel constructions, even the project of cindarella carriag. One I can say that this is my second favorites CAD/CAM software (first is Shark Pro), but designing takes to much time compared to Shark (but faster than SolidWorks, SOlidEdge, Inventor). Now I use Fusion mainly for simulations.

Magicart
Claus  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2019 7:49:06 AM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I agree, really wanted to use Fusion 360 but I just can’t seem to finish a single project. I love the interface and how it feels but I just find myself stuck after 5 minutes of work. You want to edit an imported curve? You can’t. Want to join two curves? Not possible. Want to mirror a 3d curve? Now allowed. Want to edit a projected curve? Can’t be done. And it goes on endlessly. To do simple stuff like copying and pasting you need watching instructions on youtube, click here first, activate this component, right click here. I can redesign something from scratch 3 times in Shark before I have anything useful in Fusion.

I still follow the development though. And once in a while I take something from Shark to Fusion to fillet an edge or do something Shark won’t do. And the t-spline modelling environment is state of the art.
thanks 1 user thanked Claus for this useful post.
magicart on 2/16/2019(UTC)
digitalphaser  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2019 3:25:28 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Claus Go to Quoted Post
I agree, really wanted to use Fusion 360 but I just can’t seem to finish a single project. I love the interface and how it feels but I just find myself stuck after 5 minutes of work. You want to edit an imported curve? You can’t. Want to join two curves? Not possible. Want to mirror a 3d curve? Now allowed. Want to edit a projected curve? Can’t be done. And it goes on endlessly. To do simple stuff like copying and pasting you need watching instructions on youtube, click here first, activate this component, right click here. I can redesign something from scratch 3 times in Shark before I have anything useful in Fusion.

I think that Fusion’s user will say the same about SharkCAD. :)

I know these conversations: 3D Coat is better than zBrush, Xara is Illustrator "killer", freeCAD better than SuperMegaCAD etc.

I like SharkCAD and it is convenient for CERTAIN TASKS.

I still follow the development though. And once in a while I take something from Shark to Fusion to fillet an edge or do something Shark won’t do. And the t-spline modelling environment is state of the art.

Yes. Fusion is more than CAD. Fusion has a large number of innovative tools. This makes it attractive for modellers from different industries. I know guys who use it even for CG and game development.

Until now, I have not seen the complex surfaces created with VC/Shark.

I remember, here one guy promised to model the car with Shark. ;)
NeuTechFLA  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 7:09:30 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 12 post(s)
The guy that promised to model the car is me. A few months ago, the computer that I have Shark loaded on melted down during an intense mold flow analysis. It took me a long time to trace what failed, purchase new components and then rebuild the box. It's running fine now. But the reality is, since I was a Noob on Shark at the time of the crash, my Shark skills have faded from lack of use. In order to complete the car, I need to relearn all I have forgotten. And, reading all the pain of the V11 release on the forum, I am not sure using my last precious amount of time left on Earth learning Shark is a wise decision. If I decide to move forward and complete the car...you will start to see progress images.

Originally Posted by: digitalphaser Go to Quoted Post

I think that Fusion’s user will say the same about SharkCAD. :)

I know these conversations: 3D Coat is better than zBrush, Xara is Illustrator "killer", freeCAD better than SuperMegaCAD etc.

I like SharkCAD and it is convenient for CERTAIN TASKS.

Yes. Fusion is more than CAD. Fusion has a large number of innovative tools. This makes it attractive for modellers from different industries. I know guys who use it even for CG and game development.

Until now, I have not seen the complex surfaces created with VC/Shark.

I remember, here one guy promised to model the car with Shark. ;)

digitalphaser  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 7:56:37 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NeuTechFLA Go to Quoted Post
The guy that promised to model the car is me....

:) Yes, @NeuTechFLA. I know. But you were not the purpose of my message. I saw dozens of cars created in Fusion and not one in Shark. Although the car is a classic of 3D modeling.

You were the first to challenge Shark. :) It is a pity that we did not see the result.

But my opinion is that Shark is not able to create complex surfaces like a modern car body. I would like to see it. At least ergonomic bicycle helmet? :) After that we can talk about what's best.