logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bob La Londe  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2016 10:31:07 AM(UTC)
Bob La Londe

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Is there a setting to change the default resolution of STL exports?

I know I can change it manually at the time of export, but after lovingly caressing a design into existence for hours its easy to forget and wind up with a visibly faceted result.
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff
www.CNCMOLDS.com
Bob La Londe  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 3, 2016 11:13:40 AM(UTC)
Bob La Londe

I was beginning to think this was not an option, but I was watching a video on YouTube this morning while I was drinking my morning coffee and saw what seemed to indicate it is possible. When the presenter pulled up to export an STL file the defaults that came up where 0, 2, 0, 0. When I pull up the selections to export an STL I get 0, 7, 0, 0. I'd like to change the default for normal deviation to 3 instead of 7. That is good enough for about 99% of my work.
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff
www.CNCMOLDS.com
Bob La Londe  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 5:06:12 PM(UTC)
Bob La Londe

You know I asked this over 2 years ago, and still haven't figured out how to do this. Anybody?
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff
www.CNCMOLDS.com
BillB  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 3:33:00 AM(UTC)
BillB

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
No there is not. The outputs are hard-coded into the display.

Edited by user Friday, January 11, 2019 3:34:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bill Bedford

Viacad Pro 11 (11417)

OS X 10.13.6
jlm  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 7:53:36 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Hello Bob,

It was also my request to have personalized settings saved for stl exports.
I make small parts for cosmetic packaging and I need smooth precise surfaces (file size don't matter).

So every time I set my figures :
Surface deviation : 0.001 mm (yes, 1 micron)
Normal deviation : Default - (can be increased to 10° or 20° if there are many small radiused corners)
Edge length : 1mm (or default)
Ratio : default

This works perfectly for all my parts...

JL
jlm attached the following image(s):
Capture d’écran 2019-01-11 à 14.50.03.png (400kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Bob La Londe  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 10:42:21 AM(UTC)
Bob La Londe

Originally Posted by: BillB Go to Quoted Post
No there is not. The outputs are hard-coded into the display.

Well the reason I asked as was posted two years ago is that in demo videos it clearly shows exports at other than the deault without the demonstrator appearing to manually change those settings at export time. Its not like I was making things up. Its been a while since I watched that video, but I imagine two years ago when I asked hte first time it had been fairly recent.

Originally Posted by: Bob La Londe Go to Quoted Post
I was beginning to think this was not an option, but I was watching a video on YouTube this morning while I was drinking my morning coffee and saw what seemed to indicate it is possible. When the presenter pulled up to export an STL file the defaults that came up where 0, 2, 0, 0. When I pull up the selections to export an STL I get 0, 7, 0, 0. I'd like to change the default for normal deviation to 3 instead of 7. That is good enough for about 99% of my work.

Hey Jim, Thank you. I actually know how to manually adjust the settings to get the results I need. I appreciate you taking the time to explain your settings though. What I was looking for was how to change the default that comes up automatically when I open the export>stl dialogue. Atleast one demo video showed the settings at something other than the default at the time the dialogue opened.

Bill, I have purchased or purchased upgrades to several versions of ViaCad over the years. My earliest version was 5 or 6. I have not upgraded since 9 since I have heartburn over the fact that the PowerPack I paid extra for DOES NOT do a good job of STL to sold model conversion and I have not seen advanced features in newer version that I think would be highly useful to me. However I am a LONG TERM customer over the course of several years and I have recommended and promoted ViaCad in other venues. If you look in the CamBam forums for example you would likely sees many such instances even as recently a just a couple days ago. If its really hard coded then explain how somebody doing a demo video has other "default" settings. If its not hard coded please ask somebody else if they know how it was done. If you want to just get rid of me because I drew attention to a two year old unanswered post I would think that's not good business, but if you say so I'll start looking for a replacement and I'll let Tim know that Bill told me to go elsewhere. Thank you very much for your input.
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff
www.CNCMOLDS.com
BillB  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 2:08:51 PM(UTC)
BillB

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bob La Londe Go to Quoted Post
If its really hard coded then explain how somebody doing a demo video has other "default" settings. If its not hard coded please ask somebody else if they know how it was done. If you want to just get rid of me because I drew attention to a two year old unanswered post I would think that's not good business, but if you say so I'll start looking for a replacement and I'll let Tim know that Bill told me to go elsewhere. Thank you very much for your input.

By hard-coded I meant that the program provides the setting that it thinks it will work well, there is no way of providing a .ini file, for example, to pre-load the default settings. These are the setting I use, with the effect.
:
File Attachment(s):
BWK1105_HR_Fish.png (1,073kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Bill Bedford

Viacad Pro 11 (11417)

OS X 10.13.6
MaiFy  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 6:47:35 PM(UTC)
MaiFy

Australia

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Hi Bob
I cant remember when, sometime after V8, Tim did some work on exporting stls. Perhaps they changed / recoded the default settings? in later versions.