logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Boosted  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 1:22:55 PM(UTC)
Boosted

Viacad distance between objects relative to others objects?

I’ve searched for a few days without much luck. Viacad 2D. I’m having an issue figuring out how to nail down exact object to object spacing. Example, is there a way I can space two circles apart from each other by entering the measurement value rather than dragging and dropping the object around.

Something similar to the measuring tool. Click an area of one object and an area of another object and it’ll display the distance apart in the box at a the top of the screen. Obviously if I change the measurement in that box, it doesn’t move the objects because it’s just measuring.

As it is now, I’m building everything off of X/Y zero but isn’t efficient. How do I enter measurement values between two objects?
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 1:32:58 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hello

You can use the precision point tool, create construction lines by using the offset tool.

For the two circle example you can draw a line exact distance from the center or quad and then select the second circle by center or quad point and drag it to the end of the construction line.

Precision point tool has the relative option and the tool is activated by the icon in top see pic.

Regards

Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
pp.PNG (70kb) downloaded 12 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
Boosted  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 5:46:04 PM(UTC)
Boosted

Thank you Jason. I’ve done it with the precision tool and it is very much what I’m looking to do however it seems that this can only be done while creating a new object and doesn’t apply to an existing object. Is that correct or am I overlooking something? I would like to find tune many existing objects.
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 10:21:16 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hello

Yes you can move existing geometry Can you watch the video in the Help -> Tutorial Menu the one for Precision Points

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10