logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MPSchmied  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2018 4:18:31 PM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
This label is already registered for an other CAD Software. The german distributor of the real TurboCAD sell also ViaCAD. This is a strange connection.
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
posh.de  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 3, 2018 4:54:02 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
TurboCAD f. macOS is a licensed OEM ViaCAD version.
POSH GmbH
www.posh.de
MPSchmied  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2018 6:02:03 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: posh.de Go to Quoted Post
TurboCAD f. macOS is a licensed OEM ViaCAD version.

This is a good deal. :)

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2018 12:06:39 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
TurboCAD Mac was among the first OEM's CADSoft Solutions did some years back. CADSoft was company I create some years back and sold to PunchSoftware which was acquired by Encore. We also rebranded our software for Ashlar, Score, InvaCare etc.

Plus Encore is now owned by a group that also owns IMSI so we are now part of the same family. Access to the D-Cubed constraint license for V11 came from that new relationship:)

Tim

Edited by user Tuesday, September 4, 2018 8:51:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
thanks 1 user thanked Tim Olson for this useful post.
flatpack on 9/13/2018(UTC)
flatpack  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2018 1:11:09 PM(UTC)
flatpack

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
Access to the D-Cubed constraint license for V11 came from that new relationship:)

Tim

Wow. This news has made my day! :)
ZeroLengthCurve  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2018 12:08:24 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Until about two months ago, I never knew that. Way back in Dec 2007, at CompUSA, I bought a ~$90 version of TurboCAD Deluxe (I think) and a ~$90 PunchViaCAD (I think v 6 back then). I gave TC about 2 weeks of play time, and I utterly could not get it to do the 3D shown on the panel. Tech Support tried to help me, and there was one bizarre time it worked. Then, as if having mind of its own, the 3D tool Surface stopped working. Off the phone, I was screaming, angry, freeling that it was a hidden "stub" not removed but maybe was meant to be in the more expensive version. At times, I felt like TC or the company was toying with me.

So, IIRC, I bought an upgrade (or perhaps I did a trial of DesignCAD in 2008), and it failed me, later, too. I then uninstalled it (not for shortage of space, either), and installed VC 6. I was hesitant at the install size, but figured I'd better give it a whirl.

I haven't looked back, despite the noticably weaker layer management system. (I'm on SFX 9.0.13 Build (1217).

Please, be honest (unless you're under some agreement to not answer): Is there some contractual reason VC and Shark layers cannot be moved outide their own level? Or, why there are single-letter shortcuts. (With multiple letters, I could use mnemonics.) Or why the Inspector Attributes tab is non-stretchable? (Or why the standing figure symbols have no meat on their bones?)

It just seems to be these are completely within your abilities resolve.

For me, that limitation is the single-most-devastating disadvantage (beside single-letter shortcuts). I don't seem to experience the bugs people report, though I have some spurious crashes, long save times, etc. But, butting up against having to move geometry and relable layers after recreating hundreds, and having no automation leaves me at times feeling ADD/OCD-drun staring at my screen or just giving up for months at a time.

The UI is vastly non-stressful compared to TC, AC, DesignCAD, and others. (In or around 1994, I spent over $800 on DesignCAD 2D/3D (IIRC, it was named that), getting the software, the puck, the user guides, and a digitizer. I couldn't even begin to use it. I just wanted to move my ships from paper to CAD, and after that, I largely skipped CAD until playing around with Carene or something in 2005, again giving up. Around 2006, I revisited my 1994 purchased, quickly giving up.

I was for a number of years very, very bitter toward Turbo CAD, and perhaps without much valid reason. Now, I find out it was one of your babies, and I'm more disappointed with myself because I feel that if I'd known it was yours, even though I settled for VC, VCP, SLT, and SFX, I would have been less bitter. It's illogical.

Anyway, I spent some 2 hours typing a pain doc about issues I'm having with SFX (layers mostly, and some CE/SM, filtering, etc), and lack of macro automation to save me 3-4 hours every time I start a new hull and have to frame-stiffen it, and now this bit of history makes me hesitate to share what I wrote. (The above is vastly shorter than the other tome I drafted, if that's any consolation...)

I'm torn/confused as hell. Why, if TC has so much layer power, VC/Shark don't? It feels grossly unfair, and for me it's eviscerating and heartbreaking because I lose hours over layer management issues.

Edited by user Monday, November 5, 2018 12:11:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

posh.de  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2018 4:22:50 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
OEM is the TC Mac version only, the TC Windows versions are IMSIs own stuff.
POSH GmbH
www.posh.de
ALBANO  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2018 2:40:46 AM(UTC)
ALBANO

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
TurboCAD Mac was among the first OEM's CADSoft Solutions did some years back. CADSoft was company I create some years back and sold to PunchSoftware which was acquired by Encore. We also rebranded our software for Ashlar, Score, InvaCare etc.

Plus Encore is now owned by a group that also owns IMSI so we are now part of the same family. Access to the D-Cubed constraint license for V11 came from that new relationship:)

Tim

Does that mean we can hope for motion simulation and 3D constraints in the future?

ALBAN
murray  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2018 11:18:51 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
There's capacity for 3D constraint with them. What DCM means by 2D constraints is that your solids are created from profiles and paths that are planned beforehand rather than being able to be applied to edges or radii after a primitive solid's been created. That means you'd use a single rail sweep rather than an extrusion because you can define the extrusion distance in more ways than the simple height, and access the variable perhaps more simply too. As well as that, you can apply relationships, fundamental and rule/formula-based between constraints and dimensions on different workplanes. The meaning of "2D" here is that these constraints are length/distance/radii/geometric relationship defined on planar figures, not that they can only be applied to 2D drawings. They could be animated in Shark's previous incarnation in V7 and V8.

Edited by user Sunday, November 11, 2018 2:01:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified