logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
UGMENTALCASE  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2018 1:45:47 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Evening all,

I have a ply file which has come straight from a scanner. If I load it in Shark or VC it loads something, thinks for a few seconds and then the screen finishing loading. Try and click something and it just gives me windows 'ding' like there is a menu open somewhere. What is it? I've had some ply files loads fine so struggling to see what the issue is.

*edit* the file is 5mb zipped up so it wont upload here or to the bug reporter page.....
Cheers

Edited by user Monday, July 16, 2018 1:50:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

murray  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2018 5:24:34 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
There's a maxim from electronic consumer equipment development and manufacturing that holds that it's always the cheapest equipment that's at fault, even when it's not. This is generally because people buy a vast flat screen TV that's connected to a receiver or amplifier via a "standard" like HDMI or DVI that doesn't work, and it's inconceivable to them that the more expensive device mightn't be compliant. That sort of issue with IGES is the reason that STEP was developed, but the paradigm seems to be changing, now that Apple and Microsoft develop their OSs, people update their devices and yet seem to me to frequently blame software developers that their SW is incompatible with an OS that wasn't released when they bought it. Not a lot of logic in that premise. What SW do the scanner manufacturers guarantee their device's output is compatible with? There's a simple file splitter called hjsplit that you could use to divide the file into uploadable-size chunks.
UGMENTALCASE  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 1:26:39 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

So are you saying that because the type of ply file is listed somewhere that I should be aware of what this software is capable of loading.......?
Neither manual says anything about the ply file in the import section. Hence why I'm asking the question.

So after some more digging, it turns out that there are two types of ply file, should've known. One which looks like image one and the other looks like image two. Image 2 loads and does the 'ding' thing, image 1 loads and displays. (These are meshes)
So when loading the one that 'dings' do we know what is happening?

Managed to load up a dinging ply file as a zip.

It does say that the max file size for upload is 16mb? Hence why I mention that also....
Cheers

Edited by user Tuesday, July 17, 2018 1:29:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
processed.zip (3,333kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
UGMENTALCASE attached the following image(s):
image 1.jpg (165kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
imae 2.jpg (209kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:40:13 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
One looks to be in ascii and the other binary format. If still an issue, zip and private email me the file.

We should be able to read:

ASCII
BINARY BIG ENDIAN
BINARY Little ENDIAN

Regards

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
UGMENTALCASE  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:51:29 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Hi Tim,

I'll try again and check for big and little and send a couple of examples. The zipped file attached to my post is the one that dings, its almost like there is a menu open but the menu is no where to be seen, so you can't do anything.

So the ding I bang on about is the windows os ding.

Cheers