logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
UGMENTALCASE  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 18, 2018 6:50:36 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Afternoon all,

So I'm asking the question about loading times on files. More so importing files. I've had a lot of meshes from a scanner recently which I've wanted to clean up and edit in Shark or VC. What are the other options? Meshlab and Cloudcompare. So I've imported them in, files ranging from 20mb - 50mb, so quite big, but they aren't going to get much smaller straight from a scanner.
Anyway, I wait, and I wait and I wait, and I wait some more, go make a brew, wait some more, wait a bit more, have a bath, and wait a little more and then they load. Then working with them is near impossible, as rotation is shockingly slow, select more than a handful of facets and it sits there thinking about it for ages.

So I think, must be something in the file. Open up Meshlab, loads in about 10 seconds....... What am I missing here? I want to use the software I've paid hundreds of pounds for to edit the mesh, and yet I'm spending more time on a freebie? I'm not knocking the freebie, but why? What is so different that Shark/VC struggles with?

To test this out, I have a scan here, I've not cleaned it up at all, it's 200mb+. Meshlab, 30 seconds loading and it's open, tried the same with Shark, and I'm 1.5 hours in and still waiting. Now I know that's big, and a little extreme, but again, what is the difference? Why is this pro software struggling?

Cheers
cad'n'stuff  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 18, 2018 2:17:04 PM(UTC)
cad'n'stuff

Man

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 21 post(s)
What filetype is it? What import settings? I just tried to import an OBJ file (30MB) and it took less than a minute.
NeuTechFLA  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 18, 2018 2:17:27 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 12 post(s)
How to choke a Shark in three easy steps!
UGMENTALCASE  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 18, 2018 2:32:46 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Normally stl file. So a point cloud has been converted to a mesh, and then brought in. Obj seems to load better for me, but stls are painfull. Point clouds are shocking. I've had a point cloud as a dxf file and it's unworkable.

Import settings are just standard, click import, pick units and fetch it in.

So i tested another dxf earlier. This was a set of 3d point data, 100+ mb of point data. Now that's a fair whack I know. I have Autocad so opened it in that, took around 1 min ish, maybe less. 3 Hours of loading in Shark and I shut it down. So this is what i'm getting at. I know certain file types would load better/faster than others, but what is useable. If i have a point cloud of 200mb+ (might be a txt file or xyz file) I can convert this to an igs file and bring that in, again with a load of points like that it takes an age.

Edited by user Monday, June 18, 2018 3:06:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UGMENTALCASE  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 18, 2018 3:15:41 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: NeuTechFLA Go to Quoted Post

Ha ha, you're quiet Dean, you not doing much on the project? I've uploaded an example igs to DBOX. Would you mind trying to open it when you get a minute please and report back the results of time please? This is just a point cloud.

Cheers

UGMENTALCASE  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 18, 2018 3:38:37 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Just a little update, I've just used my crappy standby laptop to open an igs point cloud file of 130 ish mb in Catia and it took around 15 mins. Shark is still thinking about it. Dean if you get chance to try it I'd love to know your results.

Cheers
UGMENTALCASE  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 18, 2018 11:41:25 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Another little update, the same igs file on my working laptop took around 7 mins to open the 100+ mb igs in Catia. I've managed to convert it to a ply, which until the release I can't use anyway, and VC has loaded a 190,000+ point cloud in a few seconds. But like I say I can't use it yet as the release where this is fixed hasn't come out, and when it does I'm still not sure how useable the data will be? Can I manipulate the point cloud as a ply?
NeuTechFLA  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 3:40:32 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NeuTechFLA Go to Quoted Post

Ha ha, you're quiet Dean, you not doing much on the project? I've uploaded an example igs to DBOX. Would you mind trying to open it when you get a minute please and report back the results of time please? This is just a point cloud.

Cheers

Yes, I have been MIA for about two months dealing with some life issues. I will resume the CAD Monkey fun as soon as I can. I will pull in your file and let you know what I find.
NeuTechFLA  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 5:52:02 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

137Mb of point cloud data seems too much for Shark. At some point during import, I noticed the blue spinning Wheel of Death stopped and Shark just hung in space. That was until I performed a CTRL/ALT/DEL but cancelled the shutdown. The Wheel of Death is once again spinning and I will let it go until "something" happens.I am at 2 hours run time so far. Update to follow.

FYI...the same iges file opened in Creo 2 in about 40 seconds.
UGMENTALCASE  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 6:51:11 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Cheers for the update. I left it opening for 4 hours before I stopped it :-)
NeuTechFLA  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 6:59:41 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Cheers for the update. I left it opening for 4 hours before I stopped it :-)

I am t=3h7m now.

Update: 3h35min the file "resolved". But Shark shows only one, yes one, point on the screen. Somewhat anticlimactic.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 20, 2018 7:36:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UGMENTALCASE  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 8:57:16 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Interesting......

I'm running a little test now. I have a 300mb igs file which I've imported (it's a fan blade for an engine and it's points and lines. So if you image a stl surface, it's all those edges), and within an hour it's almost there. Blue bar jumped up in big chunks and is about 2 blobs from the end.
Catia is fetching it in at around 2-3 minutes. So it's safe to say the 'point file' is somewhat killing it off, why I'm not sure, I don't program software so I have no idea, there is probably some reason behind it. To be honest that may have been a little unfair, but it's not unusual to get large files from scanners or similar devices.

So does this put us somewhere whereby if we need to open something big........don't?
NeuTechFLA  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 9:49:31 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Interesting......

I'm running a little test now. I have a 300mb igs file which I've imported (it's a fan blade for an engine and it's points and lines. So if you image a stl surface, it's all those edges), and within an hour it's almost there. Blue bar jumped up in big chunks and is about 2 blobs from the end.
Catia is fetching it in at around 2-3 minutes. So it's safe to say the 'point file' is somewhat killing it off, why I'm not sure, I don't program software so I have no idea, there is probably some reason behind it. To be honest that may have been a little unfair, but it's not unusual to get large files from scanners or similar devices.

So does this put us somewhere whereby if we need to open something big........don't?

Aren't most scans these days facets? I have not imported an stl into Shark. You?
UGMENTALCASE  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 11:08:00 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Yeah a lot are, but I'm looking at an alternative. So if I get a point cloud ply would be best to bring into shark and then I can do whatever I need to with it.
But the ply isn't working at the moment so I converted my xyz file to something else. And here we are.

Stl comes in OK, but it's the same again the bigger the file the harder it gets.
jdi000  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 11:43:04 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Please submit the file to the bug tracker so support can review.

Regards

Jason

Edited by user Wednesday, June 20, 2018 11:44:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling

Windows 11, 10
UGMENTALCASE  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2018 6:35:28 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Hi Jason,

I now have a scanned file which has had a little bit of cleaning up on it, and is an obj. It's 186mb. As I say, not unusual for a scanner file. How do I get this to support?

Cheers

* UPDATE - 2 hours to open said file *

Edited by user Tuesday, June 26, 2018 8:37:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jdi000  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2018 9:36:55 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
You can post to here

https://www.punchcadlabs.com/page10/page10.php

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
UGMENTALCASE  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2018 12:24:21 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Hi Jason, just zipped it up and reduced it to 30 mb is, but it wouldn't upload.

Cheers