logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MPSchmied  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2018 1:58:23 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
A lot of time my parts are a little bit to short for trimming. Then are they just partially trimmed, and Thicken Solid works then also no more and there is no way to get such a partially trimmed Item longer. Just creating a new one is more easy than any other attempts for making the to short items longer. My example shows just a little very simple tube project, but Trimming in one step was not possible and if the vertical Tubes to long can you trim them and a useless part will be upside.
File Attachment(s):
AD00452.slt (67kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
MPSchmied attached the following image(s):
Unbenannt-1.png (7kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
rockyroad_us  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2018 3:03:13 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
I think you need to clarify what you mean by short. Is is the curve or profile you are using? this file you attached doesn't show any history.

Something to note, a curve or line should always be longer or at least the length of the cross-section of the solid you want chop up. Otherwise, use the offset command to extend the solid if the solid is too short relative to the curve or plane.

FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
MPSchmied  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2018 4:53:01 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

When you make the construction of this with middle lines and the Pipe-Tool, you get automatically some Profiles which are not long enough for trimming. Sorry i made me not that work to give a example of the unfinished file. The Trim Tool should also be able to extend the parts of the profile which are not long enough. Thats just my suggestion.
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
rockyroad_us  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2018 8:47:55 AM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: MPSchmied Go to Quoted Post
When you make the construction of this with middle lines and the Pipe-Tool, you get automatically some Profiles which are not long enough for trimming. Sorry i made me not that work to give a example of the unfinished file. The Trim Tool should also be able to extend the parts of the profile which are not long enough. Thats just my suggestion.

Well, the Pipe-Tool and the trim tool are two different tools. I still can't figure out what the issue is with trim tool to fail and what you are doing to fix it.

It seems you saved the file for review. When you do that, it takes out the history of what you did and so I can'f follow what you did.

My understanding is that you are trimming the bottom of the vertical tubes in that file with this red line. See pic. If so, that red line is in the wrong location. It should be away from the entire solid for you to trim across it.

rockyroad_us attached the following image(s):
trim1.jpg (157kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
MPSchmied  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2018 11:41:06 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Ok, when on top side the middle line used, is the length ok. My fault. But i made a example where extending the Pipe will be nice, at the Bottom in my example, at a Inclined plane. I use the most time surfaces instead of lines for trimming.

Edited by user Sunday, May 6, 2018 11:46:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Untitled 1.slt (17kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
MPSchmied attached the following image(s):
Unbenannt-1.png (16kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

rockyroad_us  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2018 12:16:36 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

I see what you did. First of all, you meant to say solids versus surfaces for trimming. That incline is a solid. The tool was not designed for using with solids but I suppose the program looks for intersecting surfaces of the solid, which is something not discussed in the manual.

2nd, the tool was designed for lines and actual surfaces extruded from lines.

3rd, your logic is wrong. Anyone can figure that only the portion in blue intersecting with the tube will be trimmed out of the tube. You can't trim more than the solid can intersect. You'll need to extend the end of the tube further into the incline.

4th, the way you are using the solid incline with the trim tool is the same as subtracting the incline from the tube. think about it.

I just don't see a flaw with the trim tool but the way you are using it with a solid and the incline being in the wrong location.

In this sample, it is best you just match the end face of the tube to the end face of the incline and avoid the trim or subtract tool at all.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
MPSchmied  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 1:22:20 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Thank you rockyroad_us for your thoughts. I was yesterday in an other situation where i needed trimming without extend, Therefore the extending maybe should be a new tool or a new stroke Button (But we have no free Stroke Button, maybe Middle Mouse Button....), and is not so much important.
rockyroad_us  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 8:19:08 AM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

There a feature called face offset that works as an extend tool. See attachment.

I offset it 20mm.

rockyroad_us attached the following image(s):
offset1.jpg (39kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
MPSchmied  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 8:48:49 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

If made a wrong Trim before is also "Remove Face" needed before. But offset Face is a nice tool, it works with multiple Faces, but not everytime.
rockyroad_us  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 8:56:27 AM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

If you need to remove the trim feature, just right click on the concept explorer and delete that trim feature from the tree. The offset feature does not work well with organic shapes as far as I know. The algorithm doesn't know how best to extend, but for simple geometry it works wonders.

FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
thanks 1 user thanked rockyroad_us for this useful post.
MPSchmied on 5/7/2018(UTC)