logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
digitalphaser  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2018 9:36:52 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
This problem is faced by anyone who creates models bit more complicated than a rounded cube. :)

Example: I created the main surface of the bottle body. Then it was mirrored and stitched to solid body. Looks not bad. It's bad that the edges remain sharp as a knife. It's bad that the model can not be shelled.

Shark has a large selection of blending options. But these all stumble at the slightest difficulty like intersecting angles etc... Shelling is an extremely important feature. In my case, it works only with simple geometry.

Some VC/Shark’s tools can manipulate a solid creating a new geometry. Why can blending and shelling tools not be more flexible, smarter and powerful too?

I will be happy with any recommendations.
digitalphaser attached the following image(s):
sut1.jpg (122kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
sut2.jpg (145kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Jolyon  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:29:00 PM(UTC)
Jolyon

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I think both blend and shell are enormously powerful - if they fail, there is often a reason

I'd like to see a big red circle where a given function is failing - so that I know where I should focus

Jol
rockyroad_us  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2018 2:06:07 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
I agree with Jolyon.

Digital: have you explored the other options than a simple blend? Not many people take advantage of the other options or don't know how to use them.

Edited by user Thursday, May 3, 2018 2:09:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: bad grammar

FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
digitalphaser  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 4, 2018 4:57:04 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rockyroad_us Go to Quoted Post
I agree with Jolyon.

Digital: have you explored the other options than a simple blend? Not many people take advantage of the other options or don't know how to use them.

Yes, you're right. I do not see any contradictions here. VC/Shark is difficult to learn. I have been using it for about 10 years and it is still full of surprises for me. Often surprises end with crash.

I would like that the software worked for me. Not vice versa.

What can be done:
1. More understandable tools with more tool tips.
2. More convenient Data Entry tools. Maybe slider, numeric range etc...
3. Preview function. Maybe real-time changes of geometry. Maybe control points.
4. Forced blending of edges(or another function). VC/Shark has something similar(Feature Interaction, Retain Features etc...) but somewhat more radical is needed.

It's not normal when any edge stops workflow and it takes hours to find a solution to this problem.

As for Shell Feature, it's always strange for me to see "no solution for a vertex:bla-bla-bla". As one famous theater director said:"I don't believe."
curtk  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2018 2:13:54 PM(UTC)
curtk

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 17 post(s)
version 8 is a lot more powerful for blending solids than the newer versions , it's weak for forced blends but I found the blending feature fell apart in version 9 and seems to be getting worse all the time . I do a lot of blends and I gave up on v9 . I'm using v10 and it'll crash on simple blends that version 8 will easily surpass . In the cases where v10 crashes (which is often) , I'll open v8 and I will usually accomplish what I wanted . The blend feature has gone backwards rather than forwards over the past couple versions .
jdi000  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 7:06:45 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: curtk Go to Quoted Post
version 8 is a lot more powerful for blending solids than the newer versions , it's weak for forced blends but I found the blending feature fell apart in version 9 and seems to be getting worse all the time . I do a lot of blends and I gave up on v9 . I'm using v10 and it'll crash on simple blends that version 8 will easily surpass . In the cases where v10 crashes (which is often) , I'll open v8 and I will usually accomplish what I wanted . The blend feature has gone backwards rather than forwards over the past couple versions .

Hello,

Do you have an example you can post a file or a sample file.

Thanks
Jason
Windows 11, 10
curtk  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 11:49:08 AM(UTC)
curtk

my files are proprietary to my business so sorry but I don't post my files online
jdi000  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 11:52:51 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Hello

Sure I understand,. Can you make a sample file up and post it.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
curtk  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 12:15:37 PM(UTC)
curtk

here is an example . Max I can push v10 is .275 on the rad before it freezes up . The other is v8 where it can put a max rad of .525 before a popup appears saying that it can't do it .
Not only it there a difference between rads but also in the behavior odf the software . V10 crashes and freezes up losing work , v8 has a pop up that say can't do and I can carry on with my work

[img=https://ibb.co/jnnQF9]no rad[/img]
[img=https://ibb.co/g0SLhp]v10[/img]
[img=https://ibb.co/f0V6Np]v8[/img]
curtk attached the following image(s):
1.JPG (25kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
8 .5.JPG (23kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
10 .25 max.JPG (19kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jdi000  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 12:20:26 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Ok,

Can you submit the file to the bugreporter so the specific of the condition can be traced?

http://www.punchcadlabs.com/page10/page10.php

Thanks
Jason
Windows 11, 10
curtk  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 12:31:01 PM(UTC)
curtk

I can do that .
the final straw for me with v10 was this last update . many times I'll take a simple 2d ellipse . draw a line across it and cut out what I need . With v10 I've always had mixed results , now after the new update I get a popup stating "missing integer in restore file " . then it crashes .
Unfortunately before hand I was clearing the clutter from my workstation and deleted any of the older installers I had saved
curtk  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2018 4:32:46 PM(UTC)
curtk

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
Ok,

Can you submit the file to the bugreporter so the specific of the condition can be traced?

Thanks
Jason

curious if you got the file I sent a few days ago ??
curtk  
#13 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2018 1:28:08 PM(UTC)
curtk

Originally Posted by: curtk Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
Ok,

Thanks
Jason

curious if you got the file I sent a few days ago ??

?????

apurva  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2018 3:14:03 AM(UTC)
apurva

As programming languages, shells typically have very limited features: their main power is from calling external commands.

However, there are a few features that are quite powerful and less commonly found or less well-known in other languages:

Streams, pipes, and redirection
Process management
Traps
These are particularly useful on multicore systems, as the processes can often run in parallel.

Streams
Streams allow one to operate on arbitrarily large data (codata) without needing to read it all in at once, progressively reading input or writing output; the most basic streams are standard input and standard output. Most simply this is done by operating on text data one line at a time. Pipes allow one to connect an output stream of one program to an input stream of another, allowing concurrent processing of data. Many of the standard Unix commands operate on streams, particularly for text processing, and are designed for use in pipes – these are sometimes known as filters. A standard idiom for shell scripts is to build a pipeline, connecting these to quickly build sophisticated and relatively efficient programs.

In addition to anonymous pipes, named pipes (aka FIFOs) allow complex interprocess communication (IPC)