logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
new2cad  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 10:56:41 AM(UTC)
new2cad

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello to all,
I have Sharkcad V10 I'm looking for a way to show threads in a 3D model and also in the model to sheet.
in concept explorer there are symbols, I can drag them to the model or sheet but i'm not quite sure on how they are used?
can someone please give quick instructions on how to use them?
what I'm looking to do is design machine parts and assemblies in sharkcad and export to 2D drawings to send out for quotes or to use as shop drawing to manufacture in-house.
so far I can't figure out how to do threads, c-bores, c-sinks ect..
there are some on-line services that you can send your 3D models to in various formats and they can quote from that, however in order for them to quote
they need to know what is a thread and what is a hole, that is providing I just put in a tap-drill hole but don't show thread.
so.. any thought ideas to make the process easy.
thank you

UGMENTALCASE  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 12:02:42 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Hi,

When you do a hole, there are pull down options at the top of the screen for depth and sonething else. When you click hole a secondary toolbar pops up with options to do c/bore etc. If you put the hole in then need to edit it, use the 'inspector tool bar' and you can change the type there also.

As for threads, myself and others have made our own and either drag them onto the view like you say, or sometimes i put them in the model and bring them in when I do a model to sheet.

new2cad  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 5:14:17 PM(UTC)
new2cad

United States

thank you Ugmentalcase,
it's been a long time since i used the software and when I did use it, it wasn't for long.
but Now that you have mentioned the hole feature I do remember, Thank you
as far as showing a thread in a model, is there a download of already created threads somewhere.?
also how would the threads be used?, in what folder would they be kept, or is each thread considered an individual part
and you would import it and place it into you model?
does anyone know of a tutorial on how to do threads, 3D and also how to use the included thread symbols using concept exp..
somewhat confused...
thank you

murray  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 6:48:29 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
There's no point to representing threads in a model unless the model is to be used for pictorial documentation or additive production (3D printing/rapid prototyping), an in that usage, you'd probably have to allow specific clearance for the equipment's resolution. Using thread representation instead of a hole adds a lot of data that slows down the computation of the file, the more threads the less responsive the drawing, which is why there are 2D representions for sheet instead of using MTS on 3D models. The PowerPack plugin for Shark/ViaCAD Pro has a parametric thread tool, but the standard programs don't. Threads can be made by sweeping triangles along helix paths and there have been posts explaining how to do that, here and on Youtube, including Tim Olson's own: http://blog.punchcad.com...tutorialmodeling-a-bolt.
If you've got your heart set on threads everywhere, parametric threads are usually regarded as "best" because the app generates them as needed from the specification, instead of having to keep examples of every size and variation.
UGMENTALCASE  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 11:31:33 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

So what I have done is made up a load of 'symbols'. The trouble is depending on which plane they are drawn on depends on whether or not they are shown when you drag them into the view. So if the view is of xy plane and the symbol is made on the yz plane, you're not necessarily going to see it. Which isn't ideal.

So I bring them into the 3d model instead. I've attached my ISO ones for you. Add the folder to this directory

C:\Users\PC NAME HERE\Documents\Punch!\ViaCAD Pro\Symbols\User

And then start the program, you will then be able to drag them into the model as you please.
The parts marked '3D' in the folder are for use when you have a section view, it will show up as lines, but again this only works if you cut the section in a sort of standard way, if you have funky angles, and cutting a section, you may need to rotate them.

Have a play with them anyway, but you need to make sure you select them when you create the drawing in order for them to show up.
File Attachment(s):
Tapped Holes - ISO.zip (359kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
Tapped holes.mp4 (1,630kb) downloaded 16 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
MPSchmied on 4/30/2018(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 11:41:28 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Section view threads video attached. If you need the threads longer you can either make up a new symbol be just editing an old one, and soon enough you'll build up a library of commonly used threads, as I have. Or just fudge the drawings view :-)
File Attachment(s):
section view threads.mp4 (3,026kb) downloaded 18 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
MPSchmied on 4/30/2018(UTC)
new2cad  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2018 3:45:03 PM(UTC)
new2cad

United States

Ugmentalcase,
Thank you very much.
I have downloaded and playing with them
these are metric i'll need to try and re-create in US threads.
but good for a starting point, thank you for taking the time
to make the video and sharing your library.
Tim-- maybe you can take this idea, build upon it and release with an update?
not perfect but better then nothing.
Thanks
victor
new2cad  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2018 9:22:49 AM(UTC)
new2cad

United States

I just had a thought,
I'm not sure it's been mentioned before or not but here goes.
symbol creating is painful and I believe everyone agrees that it should be include with the product.
so would this work?
create a wizard where you would log into a web-page and punch info into a form and
it would spit out your screw/thread symbol ready to copy or download.???
I don't know how difficult this would be for Tim to do but it may be a way around not having it?
thanks

UGMENTALCASE  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2018 1:27:34 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

That would work yeah, I think with that an easier way of snapping to the correct place. It's like machining symbols, they act the same depending on which axis they are on depends if they show in the view. So I drag them over and zooooooooom right in and leave them in what looks to be a good place, but you can't snap it to a line and have it associated. That would be best. Same problem I have with welding symbols.