logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Camdyn_B  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 3:58:46 PM(UTC)
Camdyn_B

Man
United States

Hello, everyone. Today I have a question about scaling a 2D drawing in ViaCAD. I do CAD work for a pump company, and one of my main tasks entails modeling 2D machine drawings for pump parts. When doing this, I design the part with dimensions and indications, then copy over a title block and outer frame from a separate 2D file to fit over the machine drawing. When doing this, the part and title block/frame often have some scaling discrepancies. To fix this, I have two options (that I am aware of). The first option would be to scale the title block accordingly, and the other, of course, would be to scale the drawing. Both of these options have their issues. I prefer to just scale the title block, but this results in a discrepancy in font sizes in the title blocks from drawing to drawing, which is not acceptable for my application. Scaling the individual part is another option, but this option requires me to manually re-enter dimensional values, as the original values update automatically when the drawing is scaled up or down. Another issue that occasionally arises with this method is that some of the dimensions on a drawing would glitch and not scale/move uniformly with the rest of the drawing (despite being grouped to the same layer). To clarify my current dilemma, I have simplified my inquiry into the following questions that, if answered, should lead me to a solution of this problem. They are as follows:

1) Are there more font size options other than the fairly restrictive 20 or so options under the "Text Properties" settings in the Inspector? If so, how does one access them?

2) Is there a way to scale a drawing without the dimensions automatically updating to adapt to the new drawing size or without having to manually enter each individual dimension in? If so, what is the method?

3)Is there any other method I can use to scale the designed parts accordingly without compromising font size in the title block or necessitating overly-tedious modification of values and dimensions? (ideally, the title block shouldn't be scaled; only the drawing)

I thank you for your time in reading and replying to this lengthy post. Any and all advice is appreciated, so don't be afraid to mention whatever comes to mind. I am still fairly novice on the CAD scene, so the answer may be right in front of my face.

Edited by user Thursday, April 19, 2018 4:03:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jdi000  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 4:21:39 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hello Camdyn

I would not recommend scaling drawings to match title blocks, draw everything 1:1 and scale the output.

Item 1 - you can enter any size for dimension font size, There is the font setting for text and there is the font setting for dimensions Scroll to bottom of list to user and enter your value

Item 2 - I would not scale a dimension 2d drawing

Item 3 - Yes you can use draw views (layer option) V10 and scale your title blocks in any version of ViaCAD.

What version of ViaCAD are you using 9 or 10 and are you using 2d version or 2d/3d/pro version of ViaCAD?

Can you explain why you need to scale so much to match a title block? What is the output are you printing / plotting to a certain size drawing ?

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
thanks 1 user thanked jdi000 for this useful post.
Camdyn_B on 4/19/2018(UTC)
jdi000  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 4:31:12 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

camdyn

Please look at the attached file demonstrating draw views

there is a layer with size a title block and the draw view is zoomed down to fit and there is a bsize layer showing larger title block with draw view zoomed up. All while preserving the original geometry on layer 1 and dimensions.

Regards

Jason

Edited by user Thursday, April 19, 2018 4:34:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
drawviewex.zip (14kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
Camdyn_B on 4/19/2018(UTC)
Camdyn_B  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 4:58:39 PM(UTC)
Camdyn_B

Man
United States

Thanks for the reply, Jason. I use ViaCAD 2D/3D (version 10). I need to change the sizing of the drawing I insert into the title block because the title block needs to be consistent in scale from drawing to drawing to ensure consistent font size in the title blocks between different drawings. Therefore, the title block must remain unscaled, and the part drawing must be the one that is scaled, as the different parts have different overall sizes; some larger and some smaller. Right now, the title block is scaled to fit on a normal sheet of letter-sized paper (OD 10.5x7.75). I would open the file you shared and look at it, but I do not have any software on my computer currently that will open and view it. I am still fairly confused about the "draw views" option you speak of, but I am interested and would like to learn more. I have attached a picture of what one of my typical part drawings looks like to help you better visualize what I am talking about.

Camdyn_B attached the following image(s):
screenshot.JPG (75kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

jdi000  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 5:01:05 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Open the file with your ViaCAD

*** I attached a vcp file that you can open.

Regards

Jason

Edited by user Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:00:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: attach file

File Attachment(s):
drawviewex.vcp (88kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

Windows 11, 10
Camdyn_B on 4/25/2018(UTC)
jdi000  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:24:31 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Originally Posted by: Camdyn_B Go to Quoted Post
I am still fairly confused about the "draw views" option you speak of, but I am interested and would like to learn more. I have attached a picture of what one of my typical part drawings looks like to help you better visualize what I am talking about.

Camdyn

Ok so draw views (layer option) are the way to go based on your situation.
Look at the file i posted.

So steps

1. Create the 2d drawing 1:1 with dimensions
2. create a new layer
3. insert title block on the new layer (you can save inset and save these as symbols so you can drag an drop these anytime)
4. create draw view (layer option) click and drag so it covers the entire object and dimensions
5. deactivate the draw view by clicking on selection arrow
6. the goal now is to select the draw view and change its layer
you need to go to the bottom right of the draw view and click below and to right of the draw view and hold mouse button and drag selection up and to left so that you capture the bottom right corner of the draw view frame.

note an activated draw view frame will turn red dashed lines, a selected draw view will turn the solid selection color you have set default is red.

7. once its selected goto the inspector object properties attributes tab and change the layer to the one with the title block
8. turn off all the layers but the title block layer
9. click draw view frame to activate so you can move the draw view to be centered in the title block
10. click the draw view frame then click the small box in the upper left corner for draw view options you can zoom the view in or out and hide the frame.
11. you can go back to the original drawing with dimensions by isolating those layers and change the font/arrow size if needed as well. and the draw views will update.
any changes you make should be to the original drawing dim and text and the draw views will update.

post any questions you have or if you get stuck.

Regards

Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
drawviewlayer.PNG (80kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

Windows 11, 10
thanks 2 users thanked jdi000 for this useful post.
Camdyn_B on 4/25/2018(UTC), creativecad on 1/4/2020(UTC)
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 2:27:46 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Below is a link to a video demonstrating the method Jason describes.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/videos/drawView.mp4

As Jason noted, be sure to use the "Layer View" option. Not shown in the video.

One of the reasons for the new draw view type was to be more compatabile with AutCAD files that use Sheets.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/videos/dwgDrawView.mp4

Tim

Edited by user Friday, April 20, 2018 4:55:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
thanks 2 users thanked Tim Olson for this useful post.
Camdyn_B on 4/25/2018(UTC), creativecad on 1/4/2020(UTC)
Camdyn_B  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 4:27:39 PM(UTC)
Camdyn_B

Man
United States

Thank you very much, Tim and Jason. I did not know of the draw view feature on ViaCAD until now. Super neat! I guess I'm not too bright since I completely missed the "user" option in the font menu. Duh! I sincerely appreciate the kindness, time, and effort, but I think at this point, it is easier for me to just scale the text block (since font scales with it) and manually adjust the dimension font size to match the scaled title block font size via the user option. Doing the method you suggested with draw views will lead to an inconsistency in dimension font sizes instead of title block font sizes from drawing to drawing, which, again, is no bueno. I thank you again for your time, as I really do appreciate it. You have helped me solve an issue and broadened my knowledge of ViaCAd simultaneously.