logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jolyon  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 4:53:53 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
OK - It's dumb question of the week time !

(... I really feel I should know this - I've been using this CAD off and on since 2000 - and this is a fundamental)

In developing parts within the assembly of a product or vehicle say ...

Many parts do not lie in alignment with the XYZ axis's of the whole

So - to construct them (- or to adjust them) ... it's easier if I rotate it into alignment with the whole

Once worked on, I rotate them back into position

Clearly this works ... but it's not the right way to do it, is it ?

Can anybody help me to understand how to do this right ?

Perhaps with an example, video etc

Many Thanks,

Jol
Jolyon  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 7:10:41 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

In my understanding ... this is the concept of 'Local Axis' vs 'World Axis'

... anyone

... Bueller ?

murray  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 7:32:14 AM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Transformations are features too. There's nothing wrong or inferior or undesirable about what you describe, I use similar methodology. I always build in three points for location registration, nothing's simpler or more precise.
NeuTechFLA  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 9:41:07 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jolyon Go to Quoted Post
In my understanding ... this is the concept of 'Local Axis' vs 'World Axis'

... anyone

... Bueller ?

Jol,

This is the fundamental "thing" (I call it a flaw and limitation) with multi-body CAD that does not have an exclusive and discrete Part/Assembly mode. Within multi-body, one is forever dealing with this. Systems that have the ability to move things without 'damage' and/or explicitly re-orient a CS to your part is the key. I appears VC/Shark creates an exclusive 'translate' (as Murray pointed out) and from my very limited experience...kills the model and its history. I keep getting the dumb ACIS solid showing up when I do stuff like this. The issue I see so far with this code is that translate mucks things up and is almost to be avoided. VC/Shark has no real history within the model tree that can be rolled back to get back to the prior translated position/model state from what I can tell. VC/Shark is not set up to deal with this extensive type 'assembly' modeling. I.E. large assembly/body position vs. discrete parts.

For very limited assembly work...much compromise seems the order of the day.

Edited by user Friday, April 20, 2018 9:42:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jolyon  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 10:25:08 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

Thanks for your comments all - I honestly just assumed I hadn't understood it

It does indeed seem like a proper oversight to me not to have this facility

... I deal with this situation almost daily ... so 'transplanting' parts between 'World Axis' and 'Local Axis' and back is a norm for me

I don't find it hard - and I don't find it necessarily to be the point at which history fails (though it could be connected)

(as discussed prior - I'm well insured with dozens of strategic sequenced back-ups)

However, it is another step (both inward and outward) that could be eliminated with some of Tim'sclevermagiccode tm.

Further - providing a 'Local Coordinate system' for specific parts - I just can't see this as a tough thing for the team. YehwotdoIknow .... Yes, it's somehow an abstraction ... a prism through which to view a part - but really, there are tougher nuts that have been cracked here, surely ?

It'd be a very useful tool for me - so I'm politely requesting it as an enhancement !

Happy Friday all : )
UGMENTALCASE  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 1:48:57 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 303 time(s) in 205 post(s)
I tried building a very small simple assembly, and it sort of worked. Basically had individual saved parts, used the import and assembly constraints. Tried to stay away from translate because, of what you say, you get the translate history and it's very irritating.
So after i had brought in certain parts, I modified a part, selected it and save as, overwrite existing part, and it worked to a point, one of the things here was the selected and saved as part had all the other layers in it.

I haven't been back to experiment further, but a way to build an assembly would be awesome!

Edited by user Friday, April 20, 2018 3:52:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified