logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NeuTechFLA  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2018 10:19:57 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I have been using my time putting Shark through some real world tests. The part I am attempting to model has been a real challenge so far (I am a bit surprised by this) as I have completed this same part in Creo without too much issue. The reason I am doing this is to gain knowledge and to know if choosing to standardize in Shark will be a wise decision in the future.

I thought I would share....
File Attachment(s):
err.jpg (752kb) downloaded 36 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Jolyon  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2018 11:11:00 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
'Extrude to solid' should give it little excuse

(Breaking up the yellow into sections will likely show you where the issue otherwise is - give you a fudge solution)

Other hopeless thoughts ...

- Have you verify>check the two parts first ?

- Have you tried export 'Shark' - import 'Shark' (this removes cruft apparently)

- Clicking a part with the 'stitch tool' will 'repair' it - you could try this with 'option' > tolerant edges ON and OFF

- weep

Better error pin-pointing would be great

Jol
NeuTechFLA  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2018 12:09:49 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Extrude to solid was attempt #1. No love.

Attempt #2 was driving the Yellow to a distance beyond the B-Side of the Cyan. Copying and joining the B-Side surfaces. Trimming the Yellow with the B-Side surfaces (which worked by the way). Union of the trimmed Yellow and Cyan: No love.

Attempt #3 was doing #2 above but I translated the joined surface to be mid-plane of the Cyan wall thickness (essentially burying the yellow "in" the cyan. Union of the trimmed Yellow and Cyan: No love.

Attempts #4, 5 and 6 was to defeature the Yellow of all radii and then tried #1, #2 and #3 above. No love.

Attempt #7 is underway, Shark is chewing on it as I write...Spinning Wheel of Death is about ten minutes in and still a twirling! This one is the Yellow driven completely through the Cyan. Union of both and I am attempting a Trim Solid with a surface copy/join of the A-Side.

I will look at your suggestions later today. Thanks for that.

Edited by user Saturday, April 7, 2018 12:12:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NeuTechFLA  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2018 4:25:32 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Ok...The only way I have found to give a result is to go back to a previous defeatured model and use the Extrude to Solid tool. I have been successful with getting my two extrusions to Union and now it's a matter of replicating the features I have already completed in other models versions.

To be fair...if I were only a couple months in using the Creo I would have struggled equally with results.
NeuTechFLA  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2018 5:04:08 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Not so fast....

It seems my latest method does not resolve properly. I have voids within the Union that prevent the fillet tool from resolving properly. Am a bit frustrated with Mr. Shark today. Putting it away until next week.
jdi000  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2018 5:28:58 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hello

The cyan part at the top and bottom looks it has multiple complex blends and you are trying to union the yellow solid to those areas. Can you do the union before all those complex blends?

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
murray  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2018 11:32:06 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
I'd make the rib feature an integral protrusion (protrusion solid tool, extrude to body) instead of adding a discrete part.

Edited by user Sunday, April 8, 2018 1:11:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NeuTechFLA  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2018 5:36:15 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Originally Posted by: murray Go to Quoted Post
I'd make the rib feature an integral protrusion (protrusion solid tool, extrude to body) instead of adding a discrete part.

Murray that was my first attempt. I thought it was going to resolve easily. But when it didn't I went down a few rabbit holes seeing what, if anything, would work. Ultimately the extrude to solid appeared to work, but I had to de-feature the both parts somewhat in a few areas so the Boolean was easier to resolve. I thought I had a solution...at least that is what I thought. Meaning, Shark shows it "resolved" in as much as it looks correct. However, attempting to add radii back into the part afterward, behaves as if the Extrude to Solid has the Yellow hovering over the Cyan in the corners. I.E. did not Extrude to Solid everywhere. I am investigating it more today and I will share.

Oh...and to add to the misery...my Cyan part has become a dumb ACIS solid in the tree. I have to go back and determine what operation did that.

Edited by user Sunday, April 8, 2018 5:38:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

murray  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2018 7:08:51 AM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Protrusion/addition failure is surprising. That part shouldn't cause difficulty.
NeuTechFLA  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2018 7:16:46 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
Hello

The cyan part at the top and bottom looks it has multiple complex blends and you are trying to union the yellow solid to those areas. Can you do the union before all those complex blends?

Regards

Jason

Yes...that is what I have found gives some success.
NeuTechFLA  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2018 7:28:41 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Originally Posted by: murray Go to Quoted Post
Protrusion/addition failure is surprising. That part shouldn't cause difficulty.

It surprised me as well. However, after much, much toil...I finally have a solid that is well on it's way to being completed. I had to get back to a version that did not have as many features in place in order to get the rib to Union. However, I did need to delete many of the radii the rib intersected when using Extrude to Solid. Essentially I needed to make the meeting of the Twains easier.

The humorous thing is I have been doing this to get to the point of making a drawing! :o) I am doing so to see how close an exact duplicate of this part and drawing I have already completed in Creo with Shark.
File Attachment(s):
SOLIDIFIED-1.jpg (512kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
SOLIDIFIED-1B.jpg (500kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
SOLIDIFIED-1C.jpg (517kb) downloaded 10 time(s).

Jolyon  
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2018 8:27:24 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

all's well that blends well : )
NeuTechFLA  
#13 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2018 3:17:20 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

All this work to get a simple drawing. :o) This is my first Shark model to drawing (real world example). Now I need to learn the drawing magic. I.E dimension layout manipulation (flipping dim arrows, leaders), note layout manipulations (leaders, word wrap, etc...), Detail circle callout leader...

The more "complete" pdf is my real part I did some time ago. The less "complete" is the Shark drawing.

Edited by user Monday, April 9, 2018 5:18:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
V3-PRINT-SHARK1.pdf (206kb) downloaded 14 time(s).
v3-100-P6.pdf (367kb) downloaded 14 time(s).

jlm  
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2018 11:59:06 PM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jolyon Go to Quoted Post
all's well that blends well : )

Much ado about solids !
Jolyon  
#15 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 12:24:28 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

GIF us a break Jean-Louis !
UGMENTALCASE  
#16 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 12:57:47 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Bit late on this but what you could do, before the union, is run the interference check. This will give you a solid lump where the two parts intersect and you can then inspect said lump for anything you believe the Shark my struggle to swallow :-)

(Thought I'd join in the pun type comments)
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
NeuTechFLA on 4/10/2018(UTC)
Jolyon  
#17 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 1:48:51 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

... you cad !