logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NeuTechFLA  
#21 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 2:44:58 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
These are smart dims, but attached to the end of the centre line, then move the hole. Then deep select the dim and you can drag the vertex to the new place :-)

Ah, right...this is NOT on a Section View! Red Dims are reserved for that scenario. Cheers.
UGMENTALCASE  
#22 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 3:04:29 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 303 time(s) in 205 post(s)
I'm still fiddling with a section view :-)
UGMENTALCASE  
#23 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 3:53:03 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

So after a little fiddling I've found that on the section view, you move a hole and the centre line (created between two lines) goes absolutely ape. Turns red, refuses to be moved, I was left deleting it. However if you use centre line between two points, and select between two points from the snap menu, and then continue to click the two points and then make the line straight.

Then when the hole moves it's now more forgiving. It doesn't go ape, so after moving the hole you can snap the line back into place, and move the dim.

Long winded? Yep!
NeuTechFLA  
#24 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 4:22:20 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
So after a little fiddling I've found that on the section view, you move a hole and the centre line (created between two lines) goes absolutely ape. Turns red, refuses to be moved, I was left deleting it. However if you use centre line between two points, and select between two points from the snap menu, and then continue to click the two points and then make the line straight.

Then when the hole moves it's now more forgiving. It doesn't go ape, so after moving the hole you can snap the line back into place, and move the dim.

Long winded? Yep!

What dimension references are you tagging to before the model change? I can't seem to dimension to a proper center-line. Are you using a simple line from point to point?

UPDATE: Okay...I see the method now. What a mess! Thanks for the sweat on this one.

Edited by user Monday, March 5, 2018 4:31:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NeuTechFLA  
#25 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 4:42:17 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

I guess the moral of this story is:

1. Know that Smart Dimensions placed on section views in current/recent releases of VC/Shark are NOT associative.
1b. And know those Smart Dimensions become corrupted and cannot be effected by any means other than to delete them.

2. Adding a reference center line between two points and adding regular dimensions to those items will not a). update when the model changes but b). will not become red (corrupted) losing their respective references. This allows the reference item to be moved and tagged to the desired item and the dims follow and update to the new values.

3. Have lots of patience and Tylenol on hand. This simply is maddening.

UGMENTALCASE...did I describe the TREK properly?
UGMENTALCASE  
#26 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 4:42:37 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

No danger, yeah when the dims turn red, you can simply select them and change them back to black :-)
Can't see anything that the red has an effect on other than a visual thing. So long as they get re connected so they measure right, just select them, go into inspector and change colour from red to black.

If you select the edge first then the centre mark I always get a zero showing up, so I think you have to pick the centre line first then the edge, should you want to dim it to the centre line.
I'm looking at these other ways, because changing my views to 'flat' (in order to pick up the centre point) and then back again blows! Especially when it doesn't behave!
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
NeuTechFLA on 3/5/2018(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE  
#27 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 4:48:50 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

I think our posts crossed paths! But yeah that sounds right, maybe add a number 4. Which reads, don't ever do anything that needs changing :-) :-) :-)
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
NeuTechFLA on 3/5/2018(UTC)