logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<456
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jolyon  
#101 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 3:54:32 PM(UTC)
Jolyon

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Would be good to move to Hoops as a display engine and let Spatial take care of it all - as appears to be the industry standard ?

I guess that means a lot of re-plumbing, but realistically - the current system, especially with regard perspective - is not great !

NeuTechFLA  
#102 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 7:19:17 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I know 100% my Noob status is still in full effect when what took me 2 hours to do in Shark would have taken me 15 minutes to do in Creo. It's very similar to learning a second or third language. Tough going...
NeuTechFLA attached the following image(s):
021618-a.jpg (219kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
021618-b.jpg (212kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
021618-c.jpg (231kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
021618-d.jpg (194kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
NeuTechFLA  
#103 Posted : Saturday, February 17, 2018 8:28:01 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Morning fun...
021718-a.jpg (215kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
021718-b.jpg (211kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
021718-c.jpg (181kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

NeuTechFLA  
#104 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 5:40:49 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Some progress. I am messing around with lighting, perspective and render. It will simply take time to get more familiar with it.
022018-a.jpg (156kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
022018-b.jpg (191kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
022018-c.jpg (183kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
022018-d.jpg (176kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

UGMENTALCASE  
#105 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:10:36 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Looking VERY nice!!!!!! Well done!
You doing the wiring loom next? :-)
NeuTechFLA  
#106 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:42:22 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Thanks, UG. But I think I am close to simply calling this a learning experience. My rendition, while bright and yellow, is nowhere near the car nor are my surfaces. I think I have done enough to be very, very dangerous and not in the good way. I am still very unstable on what is really going on behind the curtain. I need to get into the "meat" of the Shark by doing complete parts/assemblies and creating drawings.

I should create final observations / questions list of what I learned and experienced making the Mustang. Soon enough.
digitalphaser  
#107 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 6:11:42 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Yeah! Great job! I see for the first time this type of modeling done with Shark. Unfortunately the screenshots do not give me an understanding of how you did it.
If you could capture the video with examples of some elements of the car body. How do you work with surfaces, how do you solve the symmetry problem etc... :)
It will be useful for many other objects. With the development of technology, the design of products becomes even more complex.
Jolyon  
#108 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 7:06:04 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
It's a really noble effort - well done !

I think it proves there is always a way around issues

(there are issues)

I look forward to understanding the lessons you've learned - and perhaps the potholes, brick walls and game stoppers you've encountered.

If there's time, it would be great to extract examples of those sub-processes that you consider particularly problematic

Such a debate can surely improve our tools !!

As an aside - I also think it's near impossible to make a 100% successful job on a non-live project - there just isn't the right impetus

Well done Dean

Jol
NeuTechFLA  
#109 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2018 3:51:02 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Originally Posted by: digitalphaser Go to Quoted Post
Yeah! Great job! I see for the first time this type of modeling done with Shark. Unfortunately the screenshots do not give me an understanding of how you did it.
If you could capture the video with examples of some elements of the car body. How do you work with surfaces, how do you solve the symmetry problem etc... :)
It will be useful for many other objects. With the development of technology, the design of products becomes even more complex.

I realize I have done you all a disservice by not demonstrating how I created the car. Now that I have gained some skill with Shark I will add information to this regard. Thank you Digitalphaser for pointing this out.
MaiFy  
#110 Posted : Monday, February 26, 2018 8:21:18 AM(UTC)
MaiFy

Australia

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Hi NT FLA
Awesome looking work!
Thanks for sharing the journey so far.

So, as a bit of a wrap up / take away from your explorations to date would you say,
Shark is a bit of a generalist, great for enthusiastic hobbyists up to small businesses that are making parts, doing presentations, preparing various workshop drawings, dealing with random files in various formats that float in off the street, that sort of thing?

And if someone asked you to punch out a panel for their Mustang, (remember you have a Computerized CNC panel punching press sitting in the back corner, just waiting idly for such a request) You "could" muscle your way through the project with shark as a one of to get the job done?

But if you are Elon Musk designing the Tesla 10 or an architect doing complex high rise architectural drawings, you are not going to be using shark.
There are other pricier option that are available out there more tailored to specific needs?

Thats the way I read Shark / Viacad products, or do you think it has more depth to it?

Edited by user Monday, February 26, 2018 8:26:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rockyroad_us  
#111 Posted : Monday, February 26, 2018 9:48:14 AM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
Just checked there is no remove feature for surface, but the untrim seems to work though?

You can use the remove face command from the solid tools to delete a surface when the surfaces don't form a closed volume. since yo are splitting the surfaces or surfaces, you can just select the one you don't want using the remove face.

FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
NeuTechFLA  
#112 Posted : Monday, February 26, 2018 12:57:30 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Originally Posted by: MaiFy Go to Quoted Post
Hi NT FLA
Awesome looking work!
Thanks for sharing the journey so far.

So, as a bit of a wrap up / take away from your explorations to date would you say,
Shark is a bit of a generalist, great for enthusiastic hobbyists up to small businesses that are making parts, doing presentations, preparing various workshop drawings, dealing with random files in various formats that float in off the street, that sort of thing?

And if someone asked you to punch out a panel for their Mustang, (remember you have a Computerized CNC panel punching press sitting in the back corner, just waiting idly for such a request) You "could" muscle your way through the project with shark as a one of to get the job done?

But if you are Elon Musk designing the Tesla 10 or an architect doing complex high rise architectural drawings, you are not going to be using shark.
There are other pricier option that are available out there more tailored to specific needs?

Thats the way I read Shark / Viacad products, or do you think it has more depth to it?

MaiFy,

Thanks. Although I had to keep in mind what my Boondoggle was intended to do. That was to learn Shark by jumping into the fire. I already knew that Shark, like all other modelers, all derive themselves from Calculus books and would do the basics. I simply did something in Shark that I have done in a handful of other software so I could use contrast and comparison to help me along the way. This is why I chose to do a surface project. However, one modeling project does not make that person an expert by any stretch of the imagination in any software. So, please take my observations from that perspective. As I model and document more and more items my thoughts may change...but for now:

Shark is what I will refer to as "Old School" CAD with some new blood added into the mix. If I could time-warp back to 1987/88 and Shark was as it is today, it would have been cutting edge technology. VC/Shark reminds me of Intergraph I/EMS very, very much, which I ran from 1987-1992. Another story. But 1989/90 is when I started my Pro/E life after having been on a handful of systems previously. But, us Geezers noticed immediately how Pro/ENGINEER was the game changer in our industry. Mine happened to be automotive development. Pro/E's parametric modeling roasted every other system on the planet until Catia copied it for V5 five years later and Mike Payne left PTC to "write" SolidWorks in 1995(ish) (still don't know how he got away with it) but I digress.

On the whole, so far I see Shark as damn powerful for the price but with some glaring weak links that would make it a dangerous choice for a really intense and deep project. I am not sure it would be the software of choice for something super complex or iterative in nature. For most things that may be one or "two" off in nature...VC/Shark seems capable.

If Mr. Musk knocked on my door asking I design and engineer the next Falcon "Heavy", I would first ask him why he littered space with that horrific roadster and wait for the answer. Once that occurred, I would tell him the only way I would sign up for the project is I must be able to use Creo, Catia or NX in that order. (Sorry UGMENTALCASE). These software are the industry standard, in my opinion, for intense, long data cycle projects and are highly robust and stable...soup to nuts.

:o)

Edited by user Monday, February 26, 2018 1:00:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UGMENTALCASE  
#113 Posted : Monday, February 26, 2018 2:58:32 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Ha ha, I understand :-)

Something I have done recently is change my whole display setup. Made my own toolbars, 3 of them, assembly, modelling and drafting each containing the main things I use.
Anything else I need, I would go to the menu.

I've also added a handful of commands to the right click, so makes things easier when you have to keep going back to the select arrow to clear off the last command. Since doing that, I enjoyed the software more, it makes for moving around easier :-)

NeuTechFLA  
#114 Posted : Monday, February 26, 2018 3:07:14 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
Ha ha, I understand :-)

Something I have done recently is change my whole display setup. Made my own toolbars, 3 of them, assembly, modelling and drafting each containing the main things I use.
Anything else I need, I would go to the menu.

I've also added a handful of commands to the right click, so makes things easier when you have to keep going back to the select arrow to clear off the last command. Since doing that, I enjoyed the software more, it makes for moving around easier :-)

tup.jpg (9kb) downloaded 0 time(s).