logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jolyon  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 11:55:48 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
For me - there are integrity issues with the history of parts - whilst these show up less and less as the app develops ... you're still forever stepping around them and they need fixing. I suspect they aren't so easy to fix.

Shark / VC is hugely forgiving and allows you to carry on when a part's integrity is broken - this is both good and bad I suppose depending on your outlook.

When iterating, I'm often trashing my surfaces & solids, removing all links and rebuilding again clean. I simply shouldn't have to be doing this. This for me is where the developers really need to focus.

Jol
Jolyon  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 11:58:49 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

Also - The History Explorer (or whatever we call it now) - for me - is extremely difficult to navigate for anything but the simplest part.

If you 'hollow select' a blend for example on your model - then why does it not spring up - highlighted - in your History Explorer ?

... Perhaps even greying out the bits that aren't selected - in order to simplify
Jolyon  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 12:15:32 PM(UTC)
Jolyon

On a smaller point - details are important ! - why does the History Explorer report ...

- a construction line as a drawn line ?
- a variable blend as a contact blend ?
- a wall (single) as a wall (multiline) ?

etc

Less detail make getting around the history tree harder than it need be
UGMENTALCASE  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 3:38:46 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 299 time(s) in 204 post(s)
I've noticed the change in names on things. Bit confusing when you do a curve connect, and it comes up as a join (think that's the right way round when I saw it)
Jolyon  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 5:21:59 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

The history of a part is like a recipe, right ?

You have ingredients and you have instructions

Shark / VC should be able to regenerate that part exactly at any time from the list of ingredients ... and said instructions

I should be able to click any part and ask to play a 'movie' - where it's easy to step through the build process (pausing where necessary to inspect ... and adapt) from inception to completed part.

I want this - so that I can fully understand and adapt complex part history of my - and other people's parts

This may also help us fix the holes in Part History where associativity is failing us !

Jol

Jolyon  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 7:21:49 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

As I remember, Solidworks has a step-through mode for viewing a part's history

... Can't we ?
NeuTechFLA  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 10:17:22 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I also find the History tree, Model Tree, Explorer...uh whatever that "thing" over there on the right is called to be cumbersome and lacking. I would like to see a multiple item select and an "insert mode" type slider (like Creo and SolidWorks) that will "suppress" items as the slider is slid upward and resumes as the slider is pulled downward. Don't get me started on Unresolved Links.

Creo has a model player as well but the insert mode slider works somewhat the same.