logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<3456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jolyon  
#81 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 8:15:50 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Dean

Sorry - I feel I've misled you.

The 'create open solid' trick is just that - a trick that is sometimes useful (... in allowing you to use the solid feature tool set on surfaces)

It is not the right way - the right way is to ...

1.) ... get the 'Surface Rad Blend' tool working - and I cannot see why it shouldn't in this circumstance Happy to try it - if you wanna share these 2 surfs). If it doesn't work - it's a 'special case' and it needs fixing.

... or

2.) to treat the air dam as it's own product and stitch an airtight solid which you then feature-up with rad blends and shell as you would any injection molded item

Jol
NeuTechFLA  
#82 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 8:16:45 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Jol,

Trust me, ALL of the input helps. I know I am way ahead of the curve on all these things as I am not working on release data. I am simply commenting on what I am seeing. I will take all the great input and at some point swing back to employ all the great techniques. I guess I can help the cause by keeping the comments to a minimum while I Noob my way through this boondoggle.

Thanks
Jolyon  
#83 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 8:26:25 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

Not at all - for me this is really fascinating

You (and a couple of the other 'new guard' if you like) - are not only finding, but verbalising frustrations we've all felt (or still feel but just 'work around').

Having you guys pick tools apart (just as we have constantly over many years) is critical for moving the product forward

( ... of course, it requires the development team to listen - which mostly they do)

Dev. naturally has to balance resources / requirement for new tools and so on - and so don't always answer our 'obvious' issues as quickly as we'd like : )
NeuTechFLA  
#84 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 8:31:04 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Originally Posted by: Jolyon Go to Quoted Post
Dean

Sorry - I feel I've misled you.

The 'create open solid' trick is just that - a trick that is sometimes useful (... in allowing you to use the solid feature tool set on surfaces)

It is not the right way - the right way is to ...

1.) ... get the 'Surface Rad Blend' tool working - and I cannot see why it shouldn't in this circumstance Happy to try it - if you wanna share these 2 surfs). If it doesn't work - it's a 'special case' and it needs fixing.

... or

2.) to treat the air dam as it's own product and stitch an airtight solid which you then feature-up with rad blends and shell as you would any injection molded item

Jol

No worries...I appreciate all the time you guys take to help a fallen soldier.

Your 1. What I found is my original surfaces are creating a situation where it's not only two surfaces that make up the area that is giving a challenge. Although, in my mind, it should not matter if it's 3, 4 or 8 surfaces...the rad should go as you have said. If I stump again, I will send it to you over the weekend

Your 2. Yes, this is the tried and true way to do it. I have been using offset surfaces from the main body surfaces to keep the relationships/contours consistent. That may have been my first detrimental detour with Shark? I am not sure yet how it considers these types of relationships for downstream use.
murray  
#85 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 8:45:10 AM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
N.T.FLA, have you considered that you don't have to have the surfaces joined at the edge to blend them, you can overlap them and trim back afterwards. It can give you completely different results (in some attempts of mine, better) to what you might think should be neatly connected edges

Edited by user Friday, February 2, 2018 8:54:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
random surface_surface blends.sfx (802kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Jolyon  
#86 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 9:06:35 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

Hi Dean

OK - Ping ! ... now I think I understand the original issue

You want to run a surface blend across multiple surfaces - thus the reason you 'joined' the surfaces making up side A and side B (of the blend) respectively

This is good logic as the surface blend does NOT accept more than one surface on side A and one surface on side B

I think this is a failing ... and the devs should definately look at improving this - I'm quite sure ACIS allows for this !!

So,

Q ... how did you join the surfaces on side A (for example) ?

Did you use the 'Join Surface' tool ...

- could you try to 'Add Surface' instead ?

- and does this allow you to use the 'Surface Fillet' tool as you'd expect ?

Jol
NeuTechFLA  
#87 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 10:02:02 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Originally Posted by: murray Go to Quoted Post
N.T.FLA, have you considered that you don't have to have the surfaces joined at the edge to blend them, you can overlap them and trim back afterwards. It can give you completely different results (in some attempts of mine, better) to what you might think should be neatly connected edges

murray,

Yes I had that in mind assuming it a non-issue when modeling and I have had good success with blends on surfaces that abide within the rules. This is why is stumped me when the blends failed. It seems I have ran across issues that Jol has verified are indeed real, that is the code somewhat falls down when blending across multiple boundaries of joined surfaces. I am also getting resultant slivers when joining as well. My example may simply be the "Perfect Storm" of variables that have identified, from what it sounds like, is a known issue.

Thanks
NeuTechFLA  
#88 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 10:04:28 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Jol,

I will look at this later today when I get an opportunity. Thanks
NeuTechFLA  
#89 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 7:14:12 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Short night....

Jol, modify slope is looking promising. I see the slope doesn't stay attached in all cases. but it's better than nothing. thanks....

P.S. Immediately following the creation of this image...Shark crashed for no apparent reason. Vets...in your experience, how stable is Shark in daily use?

Edited by user Saturday, February 3, 2018 6:08:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NeuTechFLA attached the following image(s):
020218-a.jpg (228kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

Jolyon  
#90 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 11:46:35 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

These days it's pretty stable - which I'm grateful for as it hasn't always been. (This may have been as much due to ACIS as Shark / VC)

It rarely crashes on me these days

That said - I'm so careful to have autosave ON and saving every 8 mins

If you have an SSD you don't notice even large files saving

- (And I have a system backup of course)

For me, whilst most of the tools work really pretty well, some need fleshing out (- as you have found with the surf blend tool) - but it's mostly pretty stable !

NeuTechFLA  
#91 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 12:42:03 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

I am running Shark on a screaming SSD tower with oodles of RAM and graphics. I run other CAD on it with rarely a crash. So when Shark would frequently bail on me, I wondered if it was it or my Noob clicking/spinning/etc that freaked it out. As I get more in phase with it, I am sure it will like me better.

As far as file management, one of the best features in Creo is integral sequential file (revision) saving. When saving in Creo, each save creates a file with a rev number (I.E. Current.prt.1, .2, .3) This allows one to go back and get an earlier version of the part if something unwanted happens in the current version. Creo uses cache memory functions as well. No other system does this automatically that I am aware of...possibly Catia. Anyway, as I have been learning Shark, I have been saving files with explicit revision numbers to mimic Creo's magic. For example, I am on Mustang-172-fork-m.sfx. It has saved me (pun intended) a number of times so far on the Mustang. When I found myself in the proverbial corner a week ago, I went back about 40 revs and moved on from that way-point. I think had I been saving all along with explicit saves I would be on Mustang-266.sfx as I have "forked off" a few times along the road when I got stuck in NoobVille.

Cheers.
Jolyon  
#92 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 1:00:44 PM(UTC)
Jolyon

Yes - smart 'revisioning no's', a 'post-it note' area that is apparent when opening a file - and bigger file snapshots (utilising file quicklook on the mac) would definitely help me get less "forked off" with regard keeping track of revs.
NeuTechFLA  
#93 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 6:07:23 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

A friend from Japan saw I was learning Shark by modeling the Mustang and challenged me to model the 2000GT for the next one!
2000Gt.jpg (28kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

UGMENTALCASE  
#94 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 7:09:03 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Go for it!!!! You'll either end up divorced and grey or ..... well is there another option? :-)
NeuTechFLA  
#95 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 7:29:18 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
Go for it!!!! You'll either end up divorced and grey or ..... well is there another option? :-)

I am already the latter....never want to be the former! :o)

NeuTechFLA  
#96 Posted : Monday, February 12, 2018 8:21:59 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

I have not forgotten my challenge. My real J-O-B suddenly became over abundant and I have had no time to make Mustangs. I will be back at it as time (and energy)permits.
NeuTechFLA  
#97 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:03:24 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

I was able to steal away some time tonight.

What's up with Perspective? Is it only me?

And the mint green is starting to irritate me! Paint job coming soon.

Edited by user Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:06:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

021518-a.jpg (188kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
021518-b.jpg (183kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
021518-c.jpg (198kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
021518-d.jpg (258kb) downloaded 12 time(s).

Nick R  
#98 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 5:10:19 AM(UTC)
Nick R

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Yes that's typical with perspective. You can sometimes get rid of the broken up look by changing the focal length setting, but then the 'amount' of perspective can look wrong.
You can also try using clip at Eye point.
It's definitely a problem with Shark because a similar model in Rhino on the same computer will look fine.

Nick
MPSchmied  
#99 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 10:09:55 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NeuTechFLA Go to Quoted Post
What's up with Perspective? Is it only me?
When you use the Photo Render Tool (Window> Photo Render) You can create high resolution images with perspective. The errors will be fixed when making a high res picture.

MPSchmied attached the following image(s):
Unbenannt-1 Kopie.png (10kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
NeuTechFLA  
#100 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 10:20:08 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Thank you for the information.