logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NeuTechFLA  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 6:59:13 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I thought I was sailing right along until I ran into this issue. I did MTS and set the drawing scale to 2:1. So far so good....the views of the part are displayed 2:1. But, upon placing a Smart dimension, Shark thinks the part is twice as large! I.E. a 1.5" dim says it's 3" dim. whereas using a "regular" dimension it's correct. Not so Smart after all? Why is that?

Edited by user Sunday, December 31, 2017 7:00:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jdi000  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 7:19:17 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hello

Are the dimensions inside a draw view?

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
NeuTechFLA  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 7:43:23 AM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Short answer: No, the red view boundary does not appear when selecting a view like single part drawings.

Long answer: I did MTS for one part within my assembly to "test" the individual scaling of a sheet(s) for my assembly. This particular part (and five other parts) is small relative to the others in the main assembly. I will need to have unique scale(s) on a number of sheets for these tiny parts in the drawing. Smart Dims "see" the drawing views at the scale set when the MTS was completed and not the actual scale of the part.
MPSchmied  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 11:11:14 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 101 post(s)
When you use Model to Sheet, watch that "Use Draw Views" selected. When you use scaled Draw views, the dxf export works not properly. Just the scaled size of the geometry will be exported. This cause alot of errors, so that some laser cutting factories want a dimension (which have in dxf not necessary the value of the real length) to proof that the geometry not accidently have a "scaled" size. When you use a scaled Model to sheet without Draw Views, the size of the geometry is then so small like your scale. This mean the size is 1:1 but smaller defined by your scale. Don't know what the devs thought about. But because of this i create 1:1 Draw views and export the geometry via dxf und make dimensions only with draftboard. Model to Sheet do also changing the global scale. This is really a annoying job creation scheme. Hoping Tim Olson solve all this problems sometimes.

Edited by user Sunday, December 31, 2017 11:25:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
jdi000  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 5:54:32 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Model To Sheet - If you use this tool you pick the scale or let it best fit and it will fit the objects to the view. As long as the object/s stay in a draw view when you dimension them they will automatically show the dimension taking in account the scale of the draw view - so even though a 1 inch block is in a 5:1 draw view a length dimension will read 1". If you "flatten" the view the geometry will be as it is in the view it does not get re scaled. The existing dimensions stay overridden as they were so a 1" block length will still show the dimension as 1", if you were to draw a new dimension of the block length it would be 5"

Benefits

1. you can update geometry and the views will update. (Remember that the initial pen style-line style is persistent so make sure you have these picked correctly before model to sheet.
2. It is a way to add title blocks and standard formats to geometry for printing.
3. It auto creates 2d geometry of parts quickly.

Some things to remember

Pen style before creating
You can copy and paste new geometry into draw views and it will be added.
Scale pay attention to the view scale. if you are going to flatten or use the geometry for other things other than a 2d drawing.

Regards
Jason

Windows 11, 10
jdi000  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 6:09:36 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Originally Posted by: MPSchmied Go to Quoted Post
When you use Model to Sheet, watch that "Use Draw Views" selected. When you use scaled Draw views, the dxf export works not properly. Just the scaled size of the geometry will be exported. This cause alot of errors, so that some laser cutting factories want a dimension (which have in dxf not necessary the value of the real length) to proof that the geometry not accidently have a "scaled" size. When you use a scaled Model to sheet without Draw Views, the size of the geometry is then so small like your scale. This mean the size is 1:1 but smaller defined by your scale. Don't know what the devs thought about. But because of this i create 1:1 Draw views and export the geometry via dxf und make dimensions only with draftboard. Model to Sheet do also changing the global scale. This is really a annoying job creation scheme. Hoping Tim Olson solve all this problems sometimes.

Hello

When a draw view is exported it is flattened same as the flatten command in the draw view menu.

Maybe you could just create single draw view (not layer option) set as 1:1 on a separate layer for laser cutting, and save the model to sheet tool for the full drawing. That way it saves the issue of trying to remember the draw view scale in the model to sheet. So the workflow is create model, then create a new layer and single draw view 1:1 of the laser profile. Then last create a full model to sheet to add dimensions for printed dimensioned drawing.

I usually select the single draw view and export dxf with selected only option and the geometry exports as expected.

Regards

Jason

Windows 11, 10