logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NeuTechFLA  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 3:47:12 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Another Noob question...

The Disclaimer is: I am from the Pro/E and SolidWorks world so I am revising my mindset a bit as I am working in Shark's multi-body environment. I hope to be as brief as possible but it may get a bit long winded. If anyone has experience in the two software I mentioned above, I am sure you understand my murky brain fog and why the basis of my questions may seem odd.

What is the preferred method you all use when creating assemblies, sub-assemblies, parts and their subsequent drawings in Shark/ViaCad? Is it preferred and/or required to model everything (parts with layers) in one file or do you model them explicitly and create an actual assembly file like Pro/E an SW?

Does a "multiple sheet drawing" option exist in Shark/ViaCad? In other words, if parts A, B, and C exist in one file (I.E. multi body pseudo-assembly) how are the drawings of the parts created and where do they exist in the grand scheme?

I think I will leave it there for now.... I appreciate any insight you may give.

Thanks...

UGMENTALCASE  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 4:18:59 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 303 time(s) in 205 post(s)
Hi,

I've found layering everything is great for modelling but then come to a drawing and it becomes a nightmare, especially when modifying things, more so adding things to thw assembly, and then you have to copy and paste into the drawing views etc.
I like the layer views but they work quite different to the normal views. Thwy work really well.

Also when you create the drawing select seperate drawing check box and it'll stick each bit on a seperate sheet for you :-)
NeuTechFLA  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 5:25:47 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

I did see the "one Part per sheet" check box which works great for parts, so far. What about the "assembly"? How and where does the assembly of the parts show up on a drawing sheet?

It is that all the layers need to be shown on a copied sheet called assembly? In other words, all the parts in the assembly are "visible"?

Edited by user Saturday, December 30, 2017 5:35:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UGMENTALCASE  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 5:52:24 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

What I would do is go model to sheet, select everything and uncheck one per sheet. That'll give you an assy sheet. Then do it again, and this time select one per sheet, then that'll theow in the rest.

I think viewing, ie layering etc will come with time and having a fiddle. I'm looking at trying to use layer 1 as a 'dumb solid' layer, and have all other layers as working layers. So when I come to do a drawing, I'll hide off all but layer 1, and thwn my drawings will be linked to the dumb solid. Not fully tested this method yet, but will be doing soon enough.
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
NeuTechFLA on 12/30/2017(UTC)
jdi000  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 5:53:36 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hello

There is no separate assembly file like proe / solidworks.

You can build.your assemblies directly and then select all and do model.to sheet. Or create single draw views and copy and paste the geometry into the view.

I use layers for assemblies and have each part on a separate layer.

You could also export all you individual parts and import into a new file. Depends on what your final outcome is desired.

Regards

Jason

Windows 11, 10
thanks 1 user thanked jdi000 for this useful post.
NeuTechFLA on 12/30/2017(UTC)
NeuTechFLA  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 6:04:32 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

UGMENTALCASE...I didn't know I could MTS twice! That's the bomb-diggety!! Very nice...thanks.
NeuTechFLA  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 6:12:28 PM(UTC)
NeuTechFLA

The next obvious question is: Can each sheet have its own scale?

Answered my own question. MTS each part with a unique scale, correct? That could make for a long day if the assembly is large.

Edited by user Saturday, December 30, 2017 6:15:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UGMENTALCASE  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 31, 2017 12:26:47 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Yeah I don't see why they couldn't be different scales. As for a long day, yeah I think it would be :-) Not really a way round it, I'm checking a Catia job which has about 200 + sheets to it!

Outside of this I use NX Unigraphics along with others, and some of our NX work has multiple parts per sheet. So i would say it goes down to either what the customer wants (if you're using someone) or whether you want to do it like that?
Different parts on a sheet would be a case of doing an empty view and copy and paste set up, or use the layer view, depending on which you prefer :-)