logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
swguy  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 26, 2017 3:35:46 PM(UTC)
swguy

I have a part that I started with a jpeg, traced that in another program into a simple outline and exported as a DXF. Open the DXF in viacad 10 and extruded to a thickness of 0.42. So far so good. Now I need to blend (roll over) the top outside edge with a .38 radius blend. This is a small part actually about 3.75 in long and 1.5 inch wide and curved. I cannot seem to make it happen. Thought this should be easy to accomplish but I seem to be missing something. Please any help. Thanks Ron
Art Smith  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 26, 2017 3:52:36 PM(UTC)
Art Smith

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Ron-

without the part to look at, I'm guessing there's someplace where your 0.38" radius is too large. that being the case, I recommend you try something much smaller to confirm your methodology is working as intended. if your methodology works with the smaller radius, at least you'll know your CAD program is working.........

Art
[email protected]
swguy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 26, 2017 4:42:57 PM(UTC)
swguy

Art, Thanks for the reply. I just tried it with a 0.1 radius and I get the error "Cannot find mitre details where open sheet ends meet: Fillet(Face)_1520." It does not show where the error is on the drawing. Any suggestions? Thanks Ron
Art Smith  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 26, 2017 5:54:44 PM(UTC)
Art Smith

Ron-

can you send an image of the part to my e-mail address? the radius being too large is my go to answer here; need to take a look at your geometry to see if anything sticks out......

Art
[email protected]
swguy  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 7:06:20 PM(UTC)
swguy

Art,
I think you are right about the size. I retraced the image differently and I can get it to work with a .1 blend. So I do not believe I can create what I want this way. I need a .38 inch round over edge, there will be spots it will overlap. I don't think the blend will do this. I need to try and draw the part starting with the outline. I would have included a image of the part but I can't seem to figure out how to get it here. Thanks Ron
L. Banasky  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 7:57:22 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 100 post(s)
<<<<< I would have included a image of the part but I can't seem to figure out how to get it here.>>>>>

Hi Ron,
It's a round about way, but in the lower left corner put a check mark in the
Attach file box
Then click Post, and in a short time a screen will appear, and you can attach
your files, when you are done , click back and you are all set.
Larry

Edited by user Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:00:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

L. Banasky attached the following image(s):
Attach files to this post.png (65kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
swguy  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 2:06:25 PM(UTC)
swguy

I hope this works. I have tried to attach a file of the part outline. I need to be able to create a STL of this outline extruded to 0.42 in. with a round over of the top edge of 0.38 in. Thanks for any help. I will take any suggestions on how I could accomplish this. Thanks Ron
File Attachment(s):
S&W Outline dxf.dxf (115kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

L. Banasky  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 2:29:28 PM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Hi Ron,
Was this a traced outline? Do you really need those sharp indentations?
Larry
Outline.jpg (17kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

swguy  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 3:25:55 PM(UTC)
swguy

Yes it was traced. No I don't really need those itty bitty sharp indentations but haven't found a way to get rid of them. Tried to enlarge the outline and trace it by hand and that worked except it created a large number of short faces along the edge and I could not find a way to create the round over with so many faces. I am pretty new at Via Cad and 3d cad. Not too bad at 2d CAD but still learning a lot. Any suggestions? Thanks Ron
L. Banasky  
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 5:31:44 PM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Hi Ron,
You will probably have to re-trace the object using arcs and lines, trimming as you move along.
I did some, extruded it, but still to jagged to round over.
Larry
.42 Extrude.jpg (64kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

jdi000  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 3, 2017 8:36:24 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Ron

After ungrouping the polyline.
I would try the arc from curve tool located in the arc tool bar. Try different setting for the resolution you need. This will give you all arcs to work with, then you can use the 3 pt arc tool and teh trim tool to blend the curves where they are too jagged.

Regards

Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
arcfrom curvetool.PNG (5kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

Windows 11, 10
Art Smith  
#12 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 12:15:26 AM(UTC)
Art Smith

Ron-

played with your "challenge" for a while today and have a few ideas to share. I tried using both arc's and splines; splines are easier to match your tracing with. Draw > Splines > Interpolate Spline more points improves the match. see attached image of your "tracing" (upper left), combination of arc's and spline's on top of original (upper right), the layout used to match arc's to your tracing (lower left), and finally the resulting solid (lower right). a 0.050" radius "Blend"was used along the top for compatibility with your outline.

it seems to me you will be limited to a minimum radius of 0.375" in your outline if you want to "Blend" the top edge with a 0.375" radius. imagine using a wheel/bearing guided cutter in a router on the outer edge of a piece of wood. anywhere the radius of the wood's perimeter is less than the radius of the cutter some strange sort of spine will be left in the wood below the top surface; ie: NOT "Blended".

hope this helps

Art
[email protected]
Art Smith attached the following image(s):
problem from Punch Forum.jpg (35kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

swguy  
#13 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 11:04:45 AM(UTC)
swguy

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Sorry for the slow reply "Work" seems to really get in the way of the fun stuff. I will try what you have suggested and post a reply after. Thanks again Ron