logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Art Smith  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 19, 2017 10:58:24 PM(UTC)
Art Smith

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 30 post(s)
given a number of lines and arcs that have been "joined". imagine some arbitrary number of operations later (ie: "undo" isn't an option) the operator would like to "unjoin" the joined collection into its constituent parts. does the union of SharkCAD Pro and PowerPack Pro have the functionality required and if so how is it done??

Art
[email protected]
horst.w  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 5:52:24 AM(UTC)
horst.w

Germany

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Yes, I miss sorely a similar function in ViaCAD, because the UNDO is empty after closing the program at the end of the day and restarting it the next day.

Redrawing in a separate layer from endpoint to endpoint is often easier than clicking back 100 steps and loosing all not concerned actions.

Regards
horst.w
GER
ViaCAD 9 Pro german + ViaCAD 10 Pro & PowerPack + ViaCAD 11, Win7Prof 64 Bit upgraded to Win 10 64 Bit
jdi000  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 3:01:47 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hello Art

Maybe its better to use the group tool for combining objects if you want to later have the individual pieces. The join tool changes the object usually to splines and is unrecoverable after undo stack is lost.

I believe that most would like a composite curve tool like the polyline in AutoCAD, the ability to combine lines and curves into a single enitity but be able to explode it back to the original pieces if it was not modified or changed.

Regards

Jason

Windows 11, 10
thanks 1 user thanked jdi000 for this useful post.
Art Smith on 11/22/2017(UTC)
Art Smith  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 3:11:30 PM(UTC)
Art Smith

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Jason-

thanks!!! grouping is a great interim idea; I'll have to check if the verify tool reports "group" properties.

add my name to the list that would like to see a polyline like tool; always found it extremely handy but have no idea what's involved implementing it in the SharkCAD Pro environment......

Art
[email protected]
murray  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 4:39:16 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
I'm not sure that it can be sustained in PunchCAD. You can script a polyline with .spl text import, but once it's in the UI, it's line segments all the way, no grouping. I've used TurboCAD since it was an AutoCAD analogue, and it used to be that profiles had to be closed to make a solid, so joining polylines was compulsory, but doing that exploded (deprecated) arcs and curves into line segments, as AutoCAD used to do in R12 and R13. Since then, TC has a compound profile option that automatically recognises closed profiles without insisting that they be joined or grouped, (or the user can stipulate what objects make up open profiles), arynd it also enables part history. Since that's been available, polylines are really only useful for editing AutoCAD .dwg files, although I think I read that the most recent version doesn't explode curves, don't know if .dwg accommdates them now as well.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 22, 2017 8:13:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified