logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bfriesch  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 25, 2017 8:23:15 AM(UTC)
bfriesch

I have done Passenger RR Cars in AI (Adobe Illustrator) and I am trying to create a 3d model of a car. Either at Full Scale or maybe at HO Scale. I notice importing a AI file of a car end view into ViaCad, the imported file always imports to the Top View but not the other views, front, back, bottom and the sides when I change the workplane. I have done the extrude of the end view to create the car body. How do I get an AI file to import to the other views, front, sides, bottom and back? I would like to import from a AI file, details of windows and ribs to the side views. Windows to be cut into the car body and the ribs added. Other details for the top and bottom of the car to be added. I am at the learning mode of this software and I am doing some test runs before having success on a 3d model. I have been searching tutorials in the ViaCad help and You Tube and I get some help. I am trying to use 2d information from AI to create the 3d model so I do not have to redraw. Some
details I would need to use the 3d tools. Any input or leads on this would be great.

Thanks

Bruce Friesch
[email protected]
digitalphaser  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 25, 2017 12:36:02 PM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I'm not sure that it will help. Usually I do so. For different viewes, you can use a different layers.
digitalphaser attached the following image(s):
aiimport.jpg (434kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 1 user thanked digitalphaser for this useful post.
bfriesch on 9/28/2017(UTC)
Tim Olson  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 2:35:40 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Hi Bruce,

Since AI is 2D it only imports into the top view.

FYI, You can optionally try the Adobe Illustrator DWG file export which supports many more entity types. I don't know if AI supports scaled drawing regions/views or view orientations in a 2D drawing but those type of structures are supported in the DWG file format.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
thanks 1 user thanked Tim Olson for this useful post.
bfriesch on 9/28/2017(UTC)