logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
UGMENTALCASE  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 8:09:35 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 303 time(s) in 205 post(s)
So I bought the tips and tricks booklet today and have been having a scan through it, it's pretty good well done. I have a question though. Importing ply format. I cannot get this to work. There isn't an example ply format file to try either. The booklet says import ply (pretty much) with the words range_grid.

My issue is I have a little scanner which gives me a ply file which is all nonsense when you open it in text. I can convert this to figures using the likes of cloudcompare, but how the hell do I get it to work inside ViaCAD Pro V10?

I've attached a very rubbish scan just as an example. I've tried converting it to text and adding range_grid to the first line, tried running it with no space, spaces, tab spaces, nothing appears when I import it.

Please any help would be great? Even if I know how the file should look when you open it in text editor I could probably get it to work.

Thanks

Edited by user Wednesday, September 27, 2017 8:10:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
NOTHING.zip (89kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
L. Banasky  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 10:00:37 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 100 post(s)
You can import into Blender, which I did, but from there I'm lost as far as exporting
as a file to be used in ViaCad.
Blender is on my computer, but only used by my grandson. When he visits I'll have him try your file.
UGMENTALCASE  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 11:13:49 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Cool thanks. Yeah I'm wondering if it's like the spline files, you can make them up by adding a //whatever at the start of the file then save as .spl
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 11:22:58 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)

Hello UG

The example you posted is in binary format ply where ViaCAD imports ascii polygon format ply files. Can you specify ascii format from your scanner?

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
UGMENTALCASE  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 12:08:39 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

I can't but I can stick that file through meshlab/cloudcompare software and get an ascii format, which I've done and that had no affect on importing it, which is what's making me think I need to do something else to the file?
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 2:29:16 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
I thought we supported Ply binary, will need to debug the file when we get the service packs out.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore