logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
digitalphaser  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 24, 2017 4:40:57 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi!
I have been working with viaCad for a long time. I'm very accustomed to it.
But viaCAD's capabilities have become too small for my current needs. I'm looking for opportunities to expand or migrate to another software.

I installed SharkCad v10. I'm surprised, but I did not see the fundamental difference between viaCAD Pro 10 and SharkCAD 10.

I'm right?
posh.de  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 25, 2017 4:35:28 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: digitalphaser Go to Quoted Post
...the fundamental difference between viaCAD Pro 10 and SharkCAD 10.

mainly the precise model to sheet, i.e. the 2D derivations of curved parts of the 3D model do consist of exact, analytic entities instead of interpolated polylines, e.g. a 'true' arc/circle which can be dimensioned instead of a facetted polyline approximating an arc/circle:

http://www.punchcad.com/...Punch-CAD-Product-Matrix

Norbert

Edited by user Thursday, September 28, 2017 5:06:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

POSH GmbH
www.posh.de
digitalphaser  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 25, 2017 7:05:19 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Thanks @posh.de for the info. In a word, this does not suit me. The Shark Pro version is certainly more attractive. But I find the price too high.

I would like to find a hybrid between precise tools and a certain freedom. For example, viaCAD PRO + form-Z It would be interesting to me.
posh.de  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 25, 2017 7:19:33 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
The Shark Pro version is certainly more attractive. But I find the price too high.

SharkCAD Non-Pro (ERP U$ 696.-) does already include the precise model to sheet, no need for SharkCAD Pro.

I would like to find a hybrid between precise tools and a certain freedom.

ViaCAD/SharkCAD are direct modelers, no need for constraints or parametrics, just model ahead.

Edited by user Monday, September 25, 2017 7:27:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

POSH GmbH
www.posh.de
digitalphaser  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 25, 2017 12:17:51 PM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: posh.de Go to Quoted Post
SharkCAD Non-Pro (ERP U$ 696.-) does already include the precise model to sheet, no need for SharkCAD Pro.

Yes, I can buy it now with 50% OFF. But I did not find anything interesting like skin/lofting w/Guides etc.. I'm not an engineer. I'm interested in rapid hard surface modelling(prototyping). And I did not find any differences from my viaCad Pro.

Originally Posted by: posh.de Go to Quoted Post
ViaCAD/SharkCAD are direct modelers, no need for constraints or parametrics, just model ahead...

Yes, too. I use VC about 10 years. But now I need bit more flexibility. ;)

Edited by user Monday, September 25, 2017 12:19:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

murray  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 25, 2017 2:49:51 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
What is it that you want, what do you want to achieve with it?
digitalphaser  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 25, 2017 4:06:04 PM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: murray Go to Quoted Post
What is it that you want, what do you want to achieve with it?

I want to achieve what I am doing now but in a more efficient way. :)
My area is prototyping of packaging, bags, umbrellas, shoes, sports equipment etc...

I would like to optimize my workflow like this. Unfortunately I do not have time to learn the new software. VC I know well. And now I combine different software for one task. This is not very convenient.

Tim Olson  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 2:40:30 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
What tool(s) in FormZ are you finding missing in ViaCAD/Shark.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
digitalphaser  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 29, 2017 4:00:19 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
What tool(s) in FormZ are you finding missing in ViaCAD/Shark.

Tim

ViaCAD has a user-friendly interface and enough drawing and modelling tools. But in this case, I'm talking not about tools. I'm talking about the flexibility of using these tools.
I did not learn formZ in details. But it is obvious that each tool has many control points that can dynamically change the shape of the object or the deformation properties. It is very interesting for conceptual design or relatively organic forms. Although formZ is more suitable for architectural design.

Yes, VC has asociative nurbs modelling, push/pull, shell, thicken solid, subdivision etc... But more dynamic will not be superfluous. This can be said literally about each VC's tool.

Fazit: VC work good with relatively simple regular forms. But more complex forms are already causing problems. Thickening, shelling, blending etc.. does not always work. You know it yourself. Many users write about this problematic.

So I thought SharkCAD is more advanced in that sense. And when I did not see the difference, I thought that I had missed something.

At the moment I'm quite happy with viaCAD Pro 10 + PowerPack Pro. This perfect balance of price and quality. But for +-$ 1,800 I would look for something more suitable for my purposes.

Tim Olson  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 29, 2017 12:36:25 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Many thanks for the comments and feedback!

>>Thickening, shelling, blending etc.. does not always work.

FYI, these functions are performed by the Dassault ACIS modeling kernel in ViaCAD/Shark, which is also the same kernel FormZ uses.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
digitalphaser  
#11 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 3:01:51 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
FYI, these functions are performed by the Dassault ACIS modeling kernel in ViaCAD/Shark, which is also the same kernel FormZ uses...

Maybe. In any case, I do not understand the intricacies of software development. :)

But I can say, when I tested formZ I easily extruded rather curved surfaces. 100% that in viaCAD it would be much more difficult. I've been working with VC for a long time. I think that the usual "Thiken Solid" tool would not work by same case. First I would have to do skin surface and then stitching. Or something like this. And there is no guarantee that it would work for me. Needed time: 1 sec. vs 2-5min.

In general, in this thread, I tried to compare viaCAD and SharkCAD. As for formZ. I do not sure that it will suit me. But fZ's concept is very interesting.